3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don't know about all that. We have had some pretty bad ones. AJ Jenkins, Rashaun Woods, Jim Drunkenmiller, Steve Spurrier, are some guys that weren't as bad as Solly and one could argue we got more production out of Rueben Foster in his short time here as well. 

Jenkins, woods, drunkenmiller were late firsts. In no way compare to what we got from solly as a top three pick. Late firsts aren't worthwhile all the time (you just named 4, I could add balmer,  and I can likely give you multiple players from each team as late round picks who were no good just since 2000). Not the case for a top three pick (not to mention the opportunity cost of Thomas). Where he was picked is what makes it such a phenomenal bust

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jenkins, woods, drunkenmiller were late firsts. In no way compare to what we got from solly as a top three pick. Late firsts aren't worthwhile all the time (you just named 4, I could add balmer,  and I can likely give you multiple players from each team as late round picks who were no good just since 2000). Not the case for a top three pick (not to mention the opportunity cost of Thomas). Where he was picked is what makes it such a phenomenal bust

But I don't think he is arguing Solly being the worst pick....He's referring to Foster being better than those picks, which he was. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree that the position they were taken in does matter, but at least we got some production out of Solly (not a pick I was a fan of; although my shadow draft pick of Fournette would still be considered a bust based on where he went). Jenkins had 0 catches after going in the first round, which to me is a bigger bust than Solly or Foster. I think it's hard to consider a player a bust based on the players that went after them. Even if you take that into account, Spurrier fits the high draft pick bust profile and while I would not be supportive of taking Jones this high after giving up that much draft captial, I do think he'd be considered a better pick than Spurrier was back in the day. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Can we appreciate for a moment that before all is said and done, regardless of which qb they pick, if he fails, this regime will have made the two worst picks in 49er history? 

And the crazy thing is the team still got to a Superbowl shortly after. Its sometimes really like this regime has two faces. We makes bad moves on most of the big money signings and our early picks are kinda hit and miss. But then in the late rounds and UDFA we find a gem almost every single year and not just good but great players at that. Putting all moves on paper they are pretty 50/50 in good and bad and maybe if you look at the big assets the bad outshine the good(big signings and day 1/day 2 picks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I agree that the position they were taken in does matter, but at least we got some production out of Solly (not a pick I was a fan of; although my shadow draft pick of Fournette would still be considered a bust based on where he went). Jenkins had 0 catches after going in the first round, which to me is a bigger bust than Solly or Foster. I think it's hard to consider a player a bust based on the players that went after them. Even if you take that into account, Spurrier fits the high draft pick bust profile and while I would not be supportive of taking Jones this high after giving up that much draft captial, I do think he'd be considered a better pick than Spurrier was back in the day. 

Completely different set of expectations for me. Getting a guy at 27 is just so much different than a guy at 3. I think when people start talking greatest busts of all time, Solly could be an honorable mention on that type of list. Guys like Jenkins will never make that list because guys like that just aren't uncommon. Spurrier is such a different era I can see points either way. There's no tape. No combine. No dissecting him on film. I can see reasoning for including him and not including him. 

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I think Thomas is a player that belongs in the NFL unlike Jenkins. However for the third overal pick he is a massive bust. If you pick Thomas in the 3rd or 4th you probably are pretty happy with him but now it's just a awfull pick.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Completely different set of expectations for me. Getting a guy at 27 is just so much different than a guy at 3. I think when people start talking greatest busts of all time, Solly could be an honorable mention on that type of list. Guys like Jenkins will never make that list because guys like that just aren't uncommon. Spurrier is such a different era I can see points either way. There's no tape. No combine. No dissecting him on film. I can see reasoning for including him and not including him. 

I think when people look back on that 2017 draft and think of busts, more people will remember Foster busting than will remember Solomon not living up to that #3 pick. I think Thomas will be in the league for ~10 years and will be a solid but unspectacular player and people will remember him as such. He seems like one of those guys that'll just eventually be forgotten to me. Either way, I hope we aren't in a situation where we are talking about a #3 overall pick busting again anytime soon. We can avoid all of this by just picking Fields.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

And the crazy thing is the team still got to a Superbowl shortly after. Its sometimes really like this regime has two faces. We makes bad moves on most of the big money signings and our early picks are kinda hit and miss. But then in the late rounds and UDFA we find a gem almost every single year and not just good but great players at that. Putting all moves on paper they are pretty 50/50 in good and bad and maybe if you look at the big assets the bad outshine the good(big signings and day 1/day 2 picks.

Good news is we can't draft a 1st round bust if we don't have a first round next two years.

• Like 3

This is why it really baffles me that everyone is so convinced that Jones is the guy. That means this is coming from Jones camp and his agent in particular. They must be interviewing the crap out of him and probably giving him signals that they will be taking him. That is my only guess on why he keeps getting plugged to the Niners when they are being super secretive of everything. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

With teams locked into the first three overall picks, the Atlanta Falcons now have received trade calls from multiple teams and “are open to moving” out of the No. 4 spot, per source.

per Adam Schefter

Broncos to me make the most sense, it's not a massive trade up probably still costs them there first next year.

• Like 1

Interesting to note that Atlanta's QB choice is Lance it seems like according to reports. I don't know that you can take anything from that, but I find it interesting. Weeks ago Allbright said that you had to move to 3 to get Lance. Seems accurate. But at the same time, if leaks are accurate, then Atlanta is thinking Lance will be there which would line up the #3 selection as Mac / Fields. Howweeeeeeeeeeeeever, it also signifies that maybe NFL teams really aren't as high on Fields. 

So obvious answer? 49ers pick at 3 = Mac Jones. 

Boom. Solved it.