3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Lets be real....if King, Schefter, Maiocco, Jeremiah, Tannebaum said we're picking Fields. Would we think its a smokescreen? 

I think we all just WANT the Jones stuff to be a smokescreen. But can we argue with multiple credible insiders...

100% yes we can absolutely argue with credible insiders because we have zero proof that they are, in fact, insiders in this particular situation. 

On one hand, we have reports that assistants within the 49ers organization haven't been let in the inner circle on this draft pick, which means the pick at #3 is being held extremely close to the vest.

On the other hand, we have every NFL media personality saying they're hearing Mac Jones, but where is the proof? A former unnamed 49ers staffer is the closest thing we have to any concrete proof. If current staffers who will be working with this QB in the near future have no idea who the pick is, how is this possibly-fake person going to know? It's 100% echo-chamber crap that started in the media from people trying to connect dots from Shanahan's past.  

• Like 2

To me it is not about being smokescreen or not. I've already stated my theory here. Shanny/Lynch are being super secretive here and the assistants and members of the organization don't even know where they are leaning towards. But Jones camp probably told other teams they think he will be the pick from the conversations they have had with the Niners. Maybe they are getting signals from the team that he will be the pick. Certainly possible but all the national writers/reporters saying Mac Jones are just following the trend. The same source that told one of them first probably told the rest or that's how that caught on. 

The Niners don't need to confirm or shoot down any rumor at this point. They can let everyone get their Mac Jones predictions out as it does no harm.

Still not budging, think the pick will be Lance or Fields. 

• Like 3

Cowherd nailed it! Unfortunately the last few sentences scare me.  Shanny IS that arrogant. He might well think he turn any QB into a star. This is where the GM and even the owner need to step in. We are picking a QB for the franchises's future, not to run Shanny's system.  He might not be here as long as the QB we pick, and then what? Then we are stuck with Andy Dalton and no system to turn a qb with ordinary skills into a star. 

Colin Cowherd: “We used to buy Blackberry phones because it’s what the standard was, and the standard for quarterbacks similarly was the same. ‘He’s got a huge arm, BUT he’s not that smart or athletic’, there’s your Blackberry. ‘He’s athletic BUT doesn’t have a ton of leadership skills.’ OK, I’ll draft him first round. ‘Boy, he’s a leader, BUT he can’t move, he’s a statue.’ THAT was the old standard, but then I watched Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence, and Josh Allen and realized that they're the iPhone. I’m not drafting a guy first round who is immobile. You cannot keep up in the NFL with Mac Jones – who has no second reaction skills. One scouts said ‘he’ll be confined to a pocket passer.’ Where is that working?? The standard of phones has changed. You can’t keep up if you got something like a Razr or Sidekick, it just doesn’t do enough, and I kind of feel like that with Mac Jones. I wish the kid well, but It’s why I would have moved off Tua too… If you draft Mac Jones third, what you’re telling everybody is ‘my system will make this Sidekick, this Razr, and this Blackberry work.’ My system is SO great that I can make an inferior phone work.”

I think more people will be coming around to this soon. I'm just waiting for to see one national media person say they're not buying the Mac Jones stuff and flip to Fields. I really feel like the momentum is going to shift Fields within days leading up to the draft. It's how this stuff works. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think more people will be coming around to this soon. I'm just waiting for to see one national media person say they're not buying the Mac Jones stuff and flip to Fields. I really feel like the momentum is going to shift Fields within days leading up to the draft. It's how this stuff works. 

I agree it's ether going to flip to Fields or go even harder on Mac.

• Like 1

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I'm ok with that anybody but Mac and cheese. Shoot I wish the Jets would draft Mac. 

That'd be the greatest smokescreen ever. Get everyone believing you're taking Mac to the point where the Jets move him up their board and take him at 2. That'd be awful for Saleh though and has like a .0000001% chance of happening. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

That'd be the greatest smokescreen ever. Get everyone believing you're taking Mac to the point where the Jets move him up their board and take him at 2. That'd be awful for Saleh though and has like a .0000001% chance of happening. 

Oh yeah I fully expect them to draft Wilson. I just don't want to even give kyle the chance to draft Mac hahaha.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

God I hope we take Fields

If this is true, and I dont have a reason to doubt it, I am even more on board with drafting Fields. I can be honest and I let the 'slow processing' thing kinda bother me about Fields, but I am starting to think it is BS....I am also starting to think he may be the best QB in this draft when you look at everything and the potential.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Seems like this narrative has already been shot down as well. If you are going to just go off of what someone else said, at least make sure you are keeping up with the most current reason to knock him.