3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Just now, Forge said:

I've noticed it the last few days. Not sure about the podcast. I think maybe he's just trying to keep it level sort of like I am, like, acknowledging it is really bad and shouldn't be the pick, but refusing to remove it's possibility. Nothing major, just tweets like this that make it seem like he's almost conceding a bit to the tidal wave. Before his tweets were pretty much like "this would be a horrible move by the niners" type stuff if I remember right lol

I mean, Baker Mayfield at 1 to the Browns was just out of the blue. And there was this same echo chamber thing that mostly had settled on Darnold there at the time. Usually it's people know the guy or it's more of a mystery that people think they've solved and haven't. I haven't heard the real sourced solid info that makes me think it's the former yet. 

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I mean, Baker Mayfield at 1 to the Browns was just out of the blue. And there was this same echo chamber thing that mostly had settled on Darnold there at the time. Usually it's people know the guy or it's more of a mystery that people think they've solved and haven't. I haven't heard the real sourced solid info that makes me think it's the former yet. 

I still think that the pick is Fields...if anything what this has done has kind of driven me away from Lance, to be honest...which is kind of a weird side effect lol. 

I don't think that my Fields guess will change until the week of the draft when King and Breer put out their articles. IF they are both in the Mac camp, going to be really hard to ignore that, especially on the heels of Fields' second pro day (which ostensibly is going to serve as the event that allows all these guys to go back track, to be honest) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I really hope history doesn't repeat itself....it would be a catastrophic failure to pass over two talented QB's with big arms for statue pocket passer AGAIN

LOL that is foreboding. I wasn't aware that Shanny was saying that stuff back then. that is hilarious 

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I really hope history doesn't repeat itself....it would be a catastrophic failure to pass over two talented QB's with big arms for statue pocket passer AGAIN

kyle just said the same thing in his press conference after making the trade. He also said if you dont have one of those top guys you have a huge risk every year to not winning with out one. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

I'm not going to lie, I love the Mac selection for all things that aren't football related if it happens. 

Such an amazing cycle for the 49ers community to go Jimmy (hopeful) --> Anti Jimmy vs Pro Jimmy Crowd ----> Anti jimmy crowd gets their wish and gets a Jimmy replacement and the team making a huge jump to go get supremely talented top 3 QB -----> 49ers take younger, cheaper Jimmy LOL ----> Jimmy stans have the total last laugh. 

Just now, Forge said:

I'm not going to lie, I love the Mac selection for all things that aren't football related if it happens. 

Such an amazing cycle for the 49ers community to go Jimmy (hopeful) --> Anti Jimmy vs Pro Jimmy Crowd ----> Anti jimmy crowd gets their wish and gets a Jimmy replacement and the team making a huge jump to go get supremely talented top 3 QB -----> 49ers take younger, cheaper Jimmy LOL ----> Jimmy stans have the total last laugh. 

Some men just want to watch the world burn

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

Some men just want to watch the world burn

I figure that if I can laugh at this, just about anyone can to be honest. I mean, this would be some amazing comeuppance. I didn't hate Jimmy, but I was pretty adamant about trying something different. I hated Darnold. So there is no better, "careful what you wish for" than having this happen. 

13 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

kyle just said the same thing in his press conference after making the trade. He also said if you dont have one of those top guys you have a huge risk every year to not winning with out one. 

When i read that quote in Biderman's article, i initially thought Shanny's comments were from 2021 LOL

SMH...now i'm back to thinking its Mac.

Just now, Forge said:

I figure that if I can laugh at this, just about anyone can to be honest. I mean, this would be some amazing comeuppance. I didn't hate Jimmy, but I was pretty adamant about trying something different. I hated Darnold. So there is no better, "careful what you wish for" than having this happen. 

Ok, I like this more than trading a second for Darnold and then dealing with a contract for him after a season a touch worse than 2019 Jimmy. At least Mac is on a rookie deal for 4+ years. 

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Ok, I like this more than trading a second for Darnold and then dealing with a contract for him after a season a touch worse than 2019 Jimmy. At least Mac is on a rookie deal for 4+ years. 

Yeah, but with Darnold I get three additional first round picks. 

Of course...I don't think Darnold is very good...so I'm not sure how helpful that is. 

• Like 1

I mean..if whatever QB we pick busts and we go another 3 years of not being routine playoff contenders, Shanny should rightfully be fired, imo. Assuming there's no more insane injury waves et (Which even then is cause for alarm as it is currently). But going Jones is going to be a massive spotlight on his ego. He is basically proclaiming to the whole scouting community "I see something you don't and I can make this guy a consistent top 5 QB" because that's the haul we just gave up for him. He is going to get RAKED over the coals if the QB we pick doesn't work out, but if Jones comes out like Daniel Jones..he will never live it down.  It's honestly amazing Kyle hasn't caught more flack for passing on Watson,, he does it again...he will never live it down. 

• Like 2

Counterpoint on Shanny only wanting a statue pocket passer - we were in on Deshaun Watson. I know Watson isn't really as mobile as a Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen, but he can move around when he has to & doesn't profile at all like Schaub, Ryan, or Jimmy G.

We probably would have easily given up 3 1st's for him if the Texans returned our calls. So if Shanny was willing to deviate for a different type of QB in Watson, why not deviate to Fields when Watson is no longer an option?

This is a separate point from the "insiders" who may or may not have good sources saying we'll take Jones. Just think some of the analysis (esp from Mike Tannebaum) is a little lazy

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

He has a point. I get that this question will never be answered truthfully, or even, at all. But it's a valid question.

The problem is that Tim's right too. I mean, we never question these sources in other years when this stuff comes up and we seldom get the actual sources. Furthermore, if this was being said by everyone with the same exact sources but with Justin Fields as the focal point, nobody would question it. We are pushing back because it's not what we want. I'd be curious how often Schefty actually gives his sources. It gets really difficult to discount the deluge of voices coming in with this take.