3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reports are that New England is not pursuing Jimmy. As I said earlier, I'm also okay with this. If the pick is Lance, I really do feel strongly that this is the correct play to try and re-establish some value and trying to take advantage. If the pick is McCorkle or Fields its a little more interesting, but still ultimately I think you start Jimmy. 

I think its just leverage from the NE. Both teams staring each other down 

The best way to maximise value is to have another serious trade partner. You'd think CHI (hometown team, desperate) & HOU (the GM who drafted him is there) would be potential trade partners as well, but who knows.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't buy that report tbh. By all accounts the Pats have been after Jimmy all offseason but have gotten nowhere in talks as the Niners keep shutting them down. So now they are going to leak they aren't after Jimmy in hopes of SF circling back to them. Both teams are just playing games. If Jimmy is made available, you better believe NE will come calling. 

The one thing that does lend me to believe that it will include a player coming back is the money. New England cannot currently afford Jimmy without making some moves. They are down to like 12 million in space and you even less when you consider the rookie pool. 

Just now, Forge said:

The one thing that does lend me to believe that it will include a player coming back is the money. New England cannot currently afford Jimmy without making some moves. They are down to like 12 million in space and you even less when you consider the rookie pool. 

Yeah, but that's not going to be a problem if you include someone like Gilmore in the trade. Cap space or lack thereof won't be the reason the trade doesn't get made. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And I see that report came from Jordan Schultz who really isn't all that reliable and far less credible than actual NE beat writers. 

I don't know him. Generally it's been the bedard guy giving the updates, I think. And he seems to have better sources? 

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'm for Lance if we keep Jimmy G but if they feel like fields could start week 1 then see ya Jimmy 

I went back & forth over whether we actually wanted to make a move or not for a new QB.

Now i go back & forth over Fields/Lance. I mean, 3 1st's is a high price, and to justify it the QB needs to be a superstar and/or a SB winner. You'd think you would want some face to face time with that QB, like working at the QB collective with Fields, right? But what if Shanny was blown away by Lance's tape & his physical traits?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know him. Generally it's been the bedard guy giving the updates, I think. And he seems to have better sources? 

Bedard, Reiss, Howe and another Pats reporter that I can't recall all have mentioned the Pats calling or wanting Jimmy. BB has known the cap situation all along. Again, this is just a game being played by both sides. Remember, from all the talks of Jimmy being the guy for SF, the Pats have never bought into that for one second. They continued to call but are probably sick of how they been getting shut down. So now this is being leaked out in hopes of SF reaching out to NE for a deal. The agent of Jimmy has dealt with the Pats for years and you have to believe he has reached out to BB knowing there was a chance the Niners would make this sort of move. 

This is still a long way from ending. No need to get worked up from any rumors/reports. Let's see which side gives in. But if Lance is the guy for Shanny, then I think there is a good reason to believe they want Jimmy back for one more season.

22 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

Does anybody think it's a realistic possibility that the niners might trade up to 2?

I'm pretty sure the jets said hell no. That's why they traded with Miami

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

Does anybody think it's a realistic possibility that the niners might trade up to 2?

No, I don't think that's a realistic possibility at this juncture. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is Trey Lance Steve McNair? Discuss. 

It was a different time and McNair had Eddie George, but I would expect much better passing numbers than McNair if he gets anywhere close to his potential. 

Just now, GW21 said:

It was a different time and McNair had Eddie George, but I would expect much better passing numbers than McNair if he gets anywhere close to his potential. 

For sure. You can't really compare the actual production metrics / statistics because of the eras, but I'm thinking about those two. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is Trey Lance Steve McNair? Discuss. 

I'd rather have Watson in this day and age than McNair. Fields is a closer comp to Watson than Lance/McNair.

Watson has never really wowed me with his pocket play. He played well within the system, took what as there and was able to get chunk plays off of the off-schedule stuff. He didn't dissect teams with arm talent or pre-snap intelligence. 

And that's all I really need Fields to do. Make the plays that are there to make and when **** gets crazy in the pocket, let your instinctual athletic side take over. 

Its just he has some WTF moments with the ball and his decision-making that Watson doesn't. That is my biggest worry with him.

• GW21 locked this topic