3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Absolutely love these stats. Puts things like passing yards and completion percent in perspective. Jones with the best receivers in the country, lots of yards on screens which also boosts completion percent, and just about the least hurried QB in the country, not mention of course having the best RB in the country to keep defenses off balance.  I've been thinking since long before we traded up that if Jones played last season for almost any other team in the country he would make a nice second round pick.

And on the other hand Fields his strengths totally don't line up with a good screen game. Not even a accuracy thing but more to do with his release being more elongated. I think off the three people mostly assume Lance will have the hardest time trasitioning but for its Fields. The things he does at OSU don't translate all that well to the NFL and while his physical talents no doubt can do all the things he needs to both passing and running the mental side is the biggest one(not saying he is dumb or can't do it but just like Mahomes i think its best for him to work on those things for a year before being thrown in as a starter. Lance his struggles will be more on the throwing side but in terms of what he did at NDSU and how their offense functions i think it should be a "easier" transition on that standpoint.

• Like 1

Hate to say it, because I generally don't love them, but Better Rivals definitely has me leaning towards us taking Fields. I think they pointed out a lot of things in the second pod, pointing to things Shanny has said recently (much like we have) that would sort of go against the idea that he's just going with the generic Kirk archetype. 

Long long month. 

Just now, John232 said:

Hate to say it, because I generally don't love them, but Better Rivals definitely has me leaning towards us taking Fields. I think they pointed out a lot of things in the second pod, pointing to things Shanny has said recently (much like we have) that would sort of go against the idea that he's just going with the generic Kirk archetype. 

Long long month. 

The thing is, Biderman pointed out that Shanny said those exact things in 2017 and then we passed on Mahomes and Watson for CJ and a shot at Cousins LOLOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with what a pro day does for Shanny and Lynch. 

It's a natural retreat point for reporters. 

Those are two separate things. 

Yeah I knew what you meant. But the media seems to believe Shanny wants Jones. Not sure what Fields pro day could do to change that unless you mean that it will become obvious to them that fields is the better QB and maybe some will start to think Shanny will see that too.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Yeah I knew what you meant. But the media seems to believe Shanny wants Jones. Not sure what Fields pro day could do to change that unless you mean that it will become obvious to them that fields is the better QB and maybe some will start to think Shanny will see that too.

Because it's an event that presents new information. There's a narrative that can be presented that allows a reporter to give a reasonable explanation for why they are backing off their initial reports. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

49ers twitter is on full meltdown mode. Like holy damn. 

Yup. I've been watching more Mac Jones tape the last few days and I can see what people get excited about, but he honestly looks like a younger Jimmy G to me. The quick release and the way he throws and turns his body to shield himself from a big hit gives me so many Jimmy G vibes. The way he lumbers out of the pocket to pick up 5 yards is very Jimmy G like. 

I think Mac's footwork in the pocket is better than Jimmy's and I think he sees the field better than Jimmy, too. But the vision is extremely subjective on my part as I have no clue what the play is. 

If we took Mac at 12, I'd feel pretty happy with the pick. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

And on the other hand Fields his strengths totally don't line up with a good screen game. Not even a accuracy thing but more to do with his release being more elongated. I think off the three people mostly assume Lance will have the hardest time trasitioning but for its Fields. The things he does at OSU don't translate all that well to the NFL and while his physical talents no doubt can do all the things he needs to both passing and running the mental side is the biggest one(not saying he is dumb or can't do it but just like Mahomes i think its best for him to work on those things for a year before being thrown in as a starter. Lance his struggles will be more on the throwing side but in terms of what he did at NDSU and how their offense functions i think it should be a "easier" transition on that standpoint.

Ohio State just uses more downfield throws than short stuff. Has nothing to do with Fields not being able to throw a good screen pass. As for what he does at OSU not translating  to NFL I'm not sure what that could mean. He throws short, intermediate and long as well as anyone in the draft. He has had games, many that is, where he didn't throw a single off target pass (of any length). A few games into the season he had more TDs than incompletions, something he did against Clemson in the playoff game despite playing with broken ribs. His ability to slide a bit in the pocket is under-rated and his inability to hit secondary receivers is exaggerated. His ability to extend plays while keeping his eyes downfield or take off if given an opening are exactly where the NFL is heading. Even his lack of anticipation is exaggerated as JT showed in the clip a few pages back. The problem I see is that he sometimes takes too long to let it go and might take a sack instead of throwing it away.  I think those things are partly a function of the offensive scheme, but even so I think that is fixable.

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yup. I've been watching more Mac Jones tape the last few days and I can see what people get excited about, but he honestly looks like a younger Jimmy G to me. The quick release and the way he throws and turns his body to shield himself from a big hit gives me so many Jimmy G vibes. The way he lumbers out of the pocket to pick up 5 yards is very Jimmy G like. 

I think Mac's footwork in the pocket is better than Jimmy's and I think he sees the field better than Jimmy, too. But the vision is extremely subjective on my part as I have no clue what the play is. 

Lol top comment on a Mac Jones highlight video said something like wanted to check out Mac Jone highlights and left wanting to draft Devonta Smith. 

Just now, 49ers fan said:

Lol top comment on a Mac Jones highlight video said something like wanted to check out Mac Jone highlights and left wanting to draft Devonta Smith. Jaylen Waddle

Boy that kid is electric at any level of the field. Smith is smooth like Randy Moss downfield, but when they try to manufacture touches to him, he looks like a baby deer on ice. It's just not his strong suit. 

11 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t put either of those on Shanny personally. If the Falcons had any kind of defense in that SB, they should have held onto a win. The SB loss to the Chiefs was a bit harder, but the PI call on Kittle and the over throw for a potential win on Sanders doomed us, Shanny called the right plays, players didn’t execute. I believe very much in the Shanny/Lynch combo, expect great things. Will drafting Mac concern me??? hell yes, but I got to believe that Shanny has a plan, otherwise, where is the fun

worth both a like and a quote...

Michael Richards Ok GIF

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Oh, I don't see anything to be excited about with Mac lol. It's hard for me to get excited about "fine", which is what I think he is and what he will be. Excitement for me stems from the variance on a guy who could win an MVP or be out of the league in 4 years LOL. 

But the truth is, if Shanny thinks Mac is "safe", which is the word that gets thrown around a lot for him (something I don't agree with, but I understand), then his selection makes a ton of sense. Hes the guy that allows him to keep his job by putting out a bunch of competitive 8-10 win seasons. If Fields / Lance flame out, Shanny's gone. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t put either of those on Shanny personally. If the Falcons had any kind of defense in that SB, they should have held onto a win. The SB loss to the Chiefs was a bit harder, but the PI call on Kittle and the over throw for a potential win on Sanders doomed us, Shanny called the right plays, players didn’t execute. I believe very much in the Shanny/Lynch combo, expect great things. Will drafting Mac concern me??? hell yes, but I got to believe that Shanny has a plan, otherwise, where is the fun

Fields would've completed that pass 😎

Here's something that sometimes gets overlooked - It's hard these days to keep guys for a decade or more. Yet if you are lucky enough to get a great QB you find a way to do that. If we get a great QB with this pick I think it more likely he will be here a decade from now than that Shanny will be. I think it is a mistake to think about the kind of QB that Shanny "likes".  What if he's gone and the QB we draft is still here? DO we want someone that can only thrive in "Shanny's system"? Is Mahomes a qb that fits what people think Shanny wants? If you were giving Shanny a QB would you rather give him Jones because he fits what Shanny likes to do, or would you rather give him the best QB out there? Remember this is not Shanny's QB it is the SF 49ers QB and we do need to consider a world without Shanny but with the QB we pick still here.