3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, I don't see anything to be excited about with Mac lol. It's hard for me to get excited about "fine", which is what I think he is and what he will be. Excitement for me stems from the variance on a guy who could win an MVP or be out of the league in 4 years LOL. 

But the truth is, if Shanny thinks Mac is "safe", which is the word that gets thrown around a lot for him (something I don't agree with, but I understand), then his selection makes a ton of sense. Hes the guy that allows him to keep his job by putting out a bunch of competitive 8-10 win seasons. If Fields / Lance flame out, Shanny's gone. 

I'm right there with you. When people talk about Mac's accuracy and pocket footwork, I can see it. But I still don't think he's worth the #3 pick in the draft. If we were still at #12 and took him there, or jumped up a spot or two for him, I would be alright with the pick. But not at #3. The value is all wrong.

• Like 3

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

I'm right there with you. When people talk about Mac's accuracy and pocket footwork, I can see it. But I still don't think he's worth the #3 pick in the draft. If we were still at #12 and took him there, or jumped up a spot or two for him, I would be alright with the pick. But not at #3. The value is all wrong.

yep, this is where I am at too. I can see why Kyle would like Mac Daddy Jones but again to give up two 1s and a third for him is flat out wrong. 

Does anyone remember where Jones was projected to go before we moved up. Certainly not 3. I just can't remember if it was top 10 or even lower. He didn't get any better because we moved up. I can see guys projecting him to us at 3, but there are guys who now have him rated as 3rd best QB and I don't recall that being the case before the trade.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Does anyone remember where Jones was projected to go before we moved up. Certainly not 3. I just can't remember if it was top 10 or even lower. He didn't get any better because we moved up. I can see guys projecting him to us at 3, but there are guys who now have him rated as 3rd best QB and I don't recall that being the case before the trade.

Before the senior bowl? not sure. I think after the senior bowl was where the top ten talk started? 

I always thought he was a fine late 1st to early second round pick.

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Here's something that sometimes gets overlooked - It's hard these days to keep guys for a decade or more. Yet if you are lucky enough to get a great QB you find a way to do that. If we get a great QB with this pick I think it more likely he will be here a decade from now than that Shanny will be. I think it is a mistake to think about the kind of QB that Shanny "likes".  What if he's gone and the QB we draft is still here? DO we want someone that can only thrive in "Shanny's system"? Is Mahomes a qb that fits what people think Shanny wants? If you were giving Shanny a QB would you rather give him Jones because he fits what Shanny likes to do, or would you rather give him the best QB out there? Remember this is not Shanny's QB it is the SF 49ers QB and we do need to consider a world without Shanny but with the QB we pick still here.

If Shanny is a genius, top 3 offensive minded coach in the game, he drafts the best QB talent he can get that has MVP potential then coaches to his talents and coaches to make him better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Tannenbaum was driving the bus that he would go at 8, but that was never supported by anyone else and a lot of people think it was crazy. Jourdan Rodrique flat out said that the panthers loved Fields, liked Mac. 

There wasn't even a lock that he was going to be gone by 12. Some people still had him at 15 to the Pats. We were a logical landing spot, of course, but people also often had us passing. Thats one of the big things about this imo - we were projected by some to take him at 12, so when we jumped to 3, the natural inclination was to say that he was the target at 3. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Is Kawakami now reporting that Jones is our pick? 

He has 100% shifted his tone to be far more accepting that it's happening, but has not outright said that it is. He's basically slamming twitter fans lol. That's part of the reason I think that 9ers twitter just looks so bad right now lol. Tim's not wrong. 

But he's clearly saying he doesn't know. He's never backed off that. But he's clearly starting to give the reports credence, thats all. 9er twitter just can't handle it LOL