3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

10 hours ago, straighthate said:

I think Jones has the best career of the 3 that will be on the board at 3. My apologies for this, it’s just my honest opinion after watching them. As a fan it’s so easy to get caught up in the physical attributes of the other two. I (maybe mistakenly) am caught up in Jones ability to buy time in the pocket. Whether it was Alex Smith or Kap or Jimmy, it’s what we’ve lacked. The third down taking a sack because of lack of pocket presence and reading a blitz drives me insane and that’s what I see from fields when pressure comes at important moments. Jones steps up, or back, or to the side and gets an extra half second for the receiver to get open. And he hits them where they have a chance to run after the catch. 

I’m no scout, so I’ll roll with whoever we take cus I’m trusting Shanny and Lynch have a better eye than I do.  

And for the question about pre trade, honestly I was concerned Fields would fall all the way to 12 or close to it and we’d go after him. I felt Jones would go higher than people thought, definitely above Fields. And I had no clue on Lance, but figure there was a chance he was there but could go top 5 or could go top 20. I still don’t have a gauge on him to be honest. 

And he very well may end up having the best career out of the three of them. But me personally? I see where the game is going and what majority of the top QBs have in common and how defenses are built for speed now....I want my QB to be able to make plays with his feet and being able to threaten defenses and keep them honest with their feet. I also want my QB to be able to make plays in the pocket as that will never not be important. Jones to me is clearly #3 on the list behind Lance/Fields. 

• Like 2

Also, Jones and Lance have the same amount of starts yet Jones is going to be 23 years old when the season starts while Lance will barely turn 21 next month. Does that not factor in your guys thinking when determining which QB to draft at #3? Fields just turned 22 himself but at least he has two years of starting experience. 

40 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Yeah, if Jones isn’t our pick I might be sending my resume in to Jed. 

Personally, I don't get it. There are a couple of things that Jones does really well, and better than fields even, but they are few and far between. Analytically he's inferior, physically he's inferior, and he's just as much of a projection. 

He's amazing under pressure when he can stay in his phone booth, but if he breaks the pocket, his game goes to hell. 

It's like picking out one trait and making it more important than everything else combined

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

These guys talking out of there butt. They know nothing.

It could certainly be Jones. It wouldn't shock me if shanny was the type that didn't want a qb usurping his stardom.

Listening to Maiocco's podcast, good talk about how he changed his strategy from breaking news to more so breaking down the news since the game changed around 2011 with guys like Schefter/Rap breaking news league wide through twitter. He also mentioned how when those guys break any news, he knows it is gold and often times know who the source is.......That explains why Maiocco will throw these subtle signs of something going down without officially breaking the news. Maiocco definitely knows far more then he actually reports.........But we all knew that.

He's still dead wrong on the Mac Jones thing though LOL.

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

It could certainly be Jones. It wouldn't shock me if shanny was the type that didn't want a qb usurping his stardom.

That's a problem in today's NFL. No matter if you're Bill or Reid...the QB Brady or Mahomes are the star. If Kyle wants to be the star he'll be out of a job quickly.

• Like 2

Taking Mac Jones #3 over fields / Lance is the extreme, extreme qb version of taking clelin ferrell above Brian burns and Josh allen because of "safe" and scheme fits imo. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Forge said:

Taking Mac Jones #3 over fields / Lance is the extreme, extreme qb version of taking clelin ferrell above Brian burns and Josh allen because of "safe" and scheme fits imo. 

My problem with Mac Jones is arm strength. Folks have given him Matt Ryan and Tom Brady comps, but those guys can drive the ball. Jones' arm strength isn't NFL average. Like, watch the Georgia tape (the team with the defensive talent that could most match Alabama's) and how every ball past fifteen yards is coming up weak and short, even when the play works. He's got to be like old man Drew Brees mentally or it's not gonna happen for him. Watching more film, I don't see much difference over Kyle Trask. If he had weapons bail on him for the bowl game we'd be hearing the same stuff about him.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, JIllg said:

My problem with Mac Jones is arm strength. Folks have given him Matt Ryan and Tom Brady comps, but those guys can drive the ball. Jones' arm strength isn't NFL average. Like, watch the Georgia tape (the team with the defensive talent that could most match Alabama's) and how every ball past fifteen yards is coming up weak and short, even when the play works. He's got to be like old man Drew Brees mentally or it's not gonna happen for him. Watching more film, I don't see much difference over Kyle Trask. If he had weapons bail on him for the bowl game we'd be hearing the same stuff about him.

Been saying this for months now it seems. Trask is Mac with a better arm, more athleticism but slightly worst feet in pocket and presence. Why draft Mac top 10 when you can draft Trask late first or early second and get virtually the same QB??

2 hours ago, Forge said:

And I liked Ferrell. Thought he had some Aldon in his bag in terms of him being a power rusher. But I was vehment about Burns being the most naturally gifted pass-rusher in that class. Wasn't sure about Allen being  a force as a primary rusher so I had him just behind Ferrell. 

I wonder if Shanny and Lynch are both on the same page or if it's more a 100 Shanny call w/Lynch fully supporting him. No matter what happens Kyle will get another HC gig, but w/Lynch not as certain for GM. Greg Cossell mentioned something a few years back regarding QBs that kinda stuck w me, and if Jones and Fields both bust, who would be easier to defend looking back when looking for next job? Ideally, they should take who they think will better help them win, but if it's close how much does that line of thinking come into play?? 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, the-catch said:

I wonder if Shanny and Lynch are both on the same page or if it's more a 100 Shanny call w/Lynch fully supporting him. No matter what happens Kyle will get another HC gig, but w/Lynch not as certain for GM. Greg Cossell mentioned something a few years back regarding QBs that kinda stuck w me, and if Jones and Fields both bust, who would be easier to defend looking back when looking for next job? Ideally, they should take who they think will better help them win, but if it's close how much does that line of thinking come into play?? 

100% shanny's call. 

I doubt that any of the quarterbacks outright bust, to be honest. I think that whomever we draft will either end up the best, or second best QB from this draft class, and it doesn't matter who we draft. So much of a QB's success or failure relies on the situation that they end up in. 

Go back and look at the last decade or so worth of top 5 QB selections and it is pretty awful, but most of those guys are going into some really rough situations that they can't overcome. 

• Like 2
  • GW21 locked this topic