3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

On 4/12/2021 at 8:29 AM, JIllg said:

Like I've said repeatedly, Fields has been excelling for a long time now. Give me the guy that's consistently been competing and preforming at or near a elite level for most of his athletic career. 

And its not even that I'm a huge Fields fan. I still have issues with his game. But the more I've had time to studying him, the more impressed I've become. And that rarely happens with prospects I dig into intently. He absolutely, positively makes the most sense@3. Over both Lance and Mac. I won't be as enthusiastic about Lance if he's the pick but I could understand it. Mac just makes no sense to me to even be considered a top 5 pick. And I'm being very honest about that.

Edited by 757-NINER

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Like I've said repeatedly, Fields has been excelling for a long time now. Give me the guy that's consistently been competing and preforming at or near a elite level for most of his athletic career. 

And its not even that I'm a huge Fields fan. I still have issues with his game. But the more I've had time to studying him, the more impressed I've become. And that rarely happens with prospects and dig into intently. He absolutely, positively makes the most sense@3. Over both Lance and Mac. I won't be as enthusiastic about Lance if he's the pick but I could understand it. Mac just makes no sense to me to even be considered a top 5 pick. And I'm being very honest about that.

I went to Auburn. I mostly watch the SEC, so when we traded up for Fields, I thought he was going to be a Cam Newton guy. Physically gifted out the wazoo, a little scattershot accuracy wise, but such an athlete and capable of so many kinds of big plays that it didn't matter (The Cam Newton here, incidentally, is Trey Lance). But watching him just drill lasers onto guys chests over and over has been a wakeup call. I don't think he's a great fit for the offense we run now. But screw that, verts, crossers, and zone read em to death. Get the best guy and ride the skills.

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I went to Auburn. I mostly watch the SEC, so when we traded up for Fields, I thought he was going to be a Cam Newton guy. Physically gifted out the wazoo, a little scattershot accuracy wise, but such an athlete and capable of so many kinds of big plays that it didn't matter (The Cam Newton here, incidentally, is Trey Lance). But watching him just drill lasers onto guys chests over and over has been a wakeup call. I don't think he's a great fit for the offense we run now. But screw that, verts, crossers, and zone read em to death. Get the best guy and ride the skills.

My thing is you can't tell me Fields, at the least, can't give you what Jimmy gives you now with more athletic upside@the position. At the most? He's Watson with better touch and feel as a pocket passer. 

• Like 1

Just now, 757-NINER said:

My thing is you can't tell me Fields, at the least, can't give you what Jimmy gives you now with more athletic upside@the position. At the most? He's Watson with better touch and feel as a pocket passer. 

He legit has a bigger arm than Watson. Watson's is a touch better than NFL average, he's just extremely accurate. That slight lack of arm and the interceptions were the two main knocks on Watson coming out. Now, I have always loved Watson's rhythm and feel for quick game stuff. He was better at those coming out than Fields is and got even better. But Fields is also a mobile artillery unit that can pretty much reach every blade of grass on the field accurately and run by linebackers. Watson could get by linemen and slither around, but he was never the athlete Fields is. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forge said:

10. HUGE WEEK FOR NINERS. Much was made of the Niners trading up to number three in the draft, and favoring Alabama’s Mac Jones with that third overall pick. I’ve been told the team has not made a decision who to take—I’m still guessing Jones—and the next eight days will be crucial in fact-finding. Coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch will be at second Pro Days for both Justin Fields in Columbus (Wednesday) and Trey Lance in North Dakota (next Monday).

IDK what he exactly said before, but it felt like he was 100% in on Jones. Now, its a guess, and he claims the Niners haven't even made up their mind. 

The media is clearly backtracking. Schefter, King, Silver, Simms all seem to have backed off their initial takes that made it seem like Jones was 100% a lock. Rap never guessed Jones & has admitted he doesn't know who it will be. Maiocco has been adamant this entire time it'll be Jones but admitted on his latest podcast that he's not really a breaking news guy anymore. 

The question is, is the media backtracking cuz they're not sure? Or do they know or have a very good idea, & are just to try to drum up interest in the 3rd pick? There's really no way to know until the pick is made. 

It'll be interesting to see the media narrative after the Fields & Lance pro day

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

IDK what he exactly said before, but it felt like he was 100% in on Jones. Now, its a guess, and he claims the Niners haven't even made up their mind. 

The media is clearly backtracking. Schefter, King, Silver, Simms all seem to have backed off their initial takes that made it seem like Jones was 100% a lock. Rap never guessed Jones & has admitted he doesn't know who it will be. Maiocco has been adamant this entire time it'll be Jones but admitted on his latest podcast that he's not really a breaking news guy anymore. 

The question is, is the media backtracking cuz they're not sure? Or do they know or have a very good idea, & are just to try to drum up interest in the 3rd pick? There's really no way to know until the pick is made. 

It'll be interesting to see the media narrative after the Fields & Lance pro day

Media had no idea. Everyone was just running with the BS Mac Jones story because he's a fit in our offense. That's it and that's all.

According to Breer, Field's pro day will be ran by NFL coaches and not his throwing coach.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forge said:

10. HUGE WEEK FOR NINERS. Much was made of the Niners trading up to number three in the draft, and favoring Alabama’s Mac Jones with that third overall pick. I’ve been told the team has not made a decision who to take—I’m still guessing Jones—and the next eight days will be crucial in fact-finding. Coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch will be at second Pro Days for both Justin Fields in Columbus (Wednesday) and Trey Lance in North Dakota (next Monday).

Every year, there’s a wide variety of opinions on QB prospects. But the Mac Jones analysis is particularly wide-ranging. He’s not big for the position, at 6-2 ½ and 217 pounds, and he has neither a power arm nor great mobility. But those who love him really love him. He’s exceptionally smart and accurate (77.4 percent at Alabama in 2020), and, per Dane Brugler of The Athletic, accurate downfield too—58 percent on throws traveling 20 yards or more downfield, with 17 touchdowns and two interceptions. Jones waited his turn after Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa, then might have outplayed both of them in leading the NCAA in accuracy and passing yards (4,500) last year. As one coach who is studying quarterbacks this postseason told me: “His footwork is perfect, his decision-making is excellent, and even though he doesn’t have the strongest arm, it’s crazy how many deep balls he threw at Alabama that were right on the money.”

So we’ll see. Jones isn’t the athlete of the others in the class, but he does have traits any coach would like.

There is no question Jones is going to be good with Shanny. A lot of his strengths fit well with this offense and he will provide the deep ball that is currently missing in this offense. Fans will KILL the FO and Shanny for this pick but he's going to be good from the start and will have this team competing for deep playoff runs....HOWEVER, will he continue elevating the team when the talent dips a bit? What's he going to do against teams that force him out of the pocket? The other two QBs give you the ability to have a game changer at the position if they reach their potential and that puts this team in position to be contenders for majority of the next 10 or so years. 

• Like 1

Some interesting niner or niner-related tidbits from the latest MMQB by Albert Breer

Since the Jets and Panthers were among the teams to send full crews to the big quarterback pro days, Fitterer, Rhule and Douglas found themselves in the same place at the same time a bunch. But for a while, there wasn’t a ton to talk about. In fact, at Trey Lance’s March 12 pro day in Fargo, there wasn’t much communication between GMs, other than a quick hello.

That changed on March 26 in Provo, Utah. That morning, Fitterer was standing next to 49ers assistant GM Adam Peters when Carolina PR chief Bruce Speight texted him that San Francisco had made a massive move up the board to land the third pick from Miami. Fitterer flashed the text to Peters, who flashed a smile back at him. (The Panthers had previously kicked around the idea of dealing up, but decided fairly early on that the price would be prohibitive for where they were in building the team.

Acquiring Darnold gives the Panthers a lot more flexibility with the eighth pick—but it does not preclude them from taking a quarterback. The 49ers’ deal certainly sparked the last set of talks between the Jets and Panthers on Darnold. All Fitterer and Rhule had to do was start to count the quarterback-needy teams in front of them to know the chance one they valued would fall to them had dwindled. And yet, if the right one gets to them, they’d likely still pounce. This just allows Rhule and Fitterer to be true to the board, with the ability to fill corner and tackle needs (and not press the QB need) there, and good players at those positions expected to be available when Carolina’s on the clock.

I think the second pro days for Justin Fields and Trey Lance are going to be really interesting. I’m told the tentative plan for both is to have the NFL folks there run the throwing sessions, rather than have their respective throwing coaches (John Beck and Quincy Avery) script the workouts. Which is definitely different, and will probably be more useful for the teams there. Fields’s is set for Wednesday, and Lance’s is a week from Monday. And Fields’s workout, at least for right now, is set to be closed to the media (outside of OSU’s in-house video people), so teams that want to see it will have to make the trip. As of Sunday, I was told just two teams have committed to being in Columbus—the 49ers … and the Patriots. San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch are expected to lead the Niners’ contingent to Ohio State (and North Dakota State too). As for the Patriots, this is subject to change, but I wouldn’t be surprised if offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is leading a group there for New England that will likely also max out the three allowable people, under the 2021 pro day rules. And so everyone’s clear on this, with private workouts forbidden because of COVID-19 this year, these workouts have to be open to all teams and, as we said, have attendance limited to three people per NFL team. So these aren’t private workouts. But with NFL teams calling the on-field shots, and actual attendance sparse, they may wind up having that feel.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/12/mmqb-brandon-staley-building-relationships-chargers-sam-darnold-trade

1. So, it seems pretty clear our trade up sparked the Panthers & Jets deal. You can safely assume we took at least their 3rd rated QB off the board. If you believe Mike Tannebaum, the Panthers loved Mac Jones. If you believe Jourdan Rodrique, the Panthers loved Justin Fields

2. NFL teams will be running Fields & Lance's workouts. Not sure if thats us specifically, or a combination of different teams. But very interesting. Shanny will get an on the spot look at how they would do in situations potentially created by him. And also, the fact that we're attending all 3 guys pro days makes going to Jones pro day earlier less relevant & notable.

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Some interesting niner or niner-related tidbits from the latest MMQB by Albert Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/12/mmqb-brandon-staley-building-relationships-chargers-sam-darnold-trade

1. So, it seems pretty clear our trade up sparked the Panthers & Jets deal. You can safely assume we took at least their 3rd rated QB off the board. If you believe Mike Tannebaum, the Panthers loved Mac Jones. If you believe Jourdan Rodrique, the Panthers loved Justin Fields

2. NFL teams will be running Fields & Lance's workouts. Not sure if thats us specifically, or a combination of different teams. But very interesting. Shanny will get an on the spot look at how they would do in situations potentially created by him. And also, the fact that we're attending all 3 guys pro days makes going to Jones pro day earlier less relevant & notable.

Something to note as well, the Jets haven't committed yet on going to the Ohio state pro day. I think they were at the last one, but if they could go and help run the workout of a prospect they were looking at, I think they'd make that trip. 

They still might go, but if they don't, that should be a huge sign they are locked on Wilson.

42 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

That's basically what King said before. He's not sure, the niners haven't decided, his guess is Jones. He's been pretty consistent since the trade because he's been non committal

• Like 1