3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Just now, Forge said:

That's basically what King said before. He's not sure, the niners haven't decided, his guess is Jones. He's been pretty consistent since the trade because he's been non committal

Gotcha. Maybe my memory is wrong, but it felt like he was a lot more sure the Niners were in on McGlinchey. That felt like actual inside info. This feels more like an educated guess.

8 hours ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

What do those numbers mean and how do you like a post?

They are my arbitrarily selected odds of which qb we are selecting. 

Right now, you're likely not able to like a post due to being new. However, once you have been here a bit, there's a little football at the bottom right of each post that you'll be able to click

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Gotcha. Maybe my memory is wrong, but it felt like he was a lot more sure the Niners were in on McGlinchey. That felt like actual inside info. This feels more like an educated guess.

Correct, though I think he's not the type to even haphazardly guess. I'd be willing to wager that when he dropped that nugget about us being the landing spot for darnold, for example, was right when we were having discussions about him. So they can certainly be wrong in the end, but I think he likely has good reason for saying whatever he does

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 11:20 PM, straighthate said:

I think Jones has the best career of the 3 that will be on the board at 3. My apologies for this, it’s just my honest opinion after watching them. As a fan it’s so easy to get caught up in the physical attributes of the other two. I (maybe mistakenly) am caught up in Jones ability to buy time in the pocket. Whether it was Alex Smith or Kap or Jimmy, it’s what we’ve lacked. The third down taking a sack because of lack of pocket presence and reading a blitz drives me insane and that’s what I see from fields when pressure comes at important moments. Jones steps up, or back, or to the side and gets an extra half second for the receiver to get open. And he hits them where they have a chance to run after the catch. 

I’m no scout, so I’ll roll with whoever we take cus I’m trusting Shanny and Lynch have a better eye than I do.  

And for the question about pre trade, honestly I was concerned Fields would fall all the way to 12 or close to it and we’d go after him. I felt Jones would go higher than people thought, definitely above Fields. And I had no clue on Lance, but figure there was a chance he was there but could go top 5 or could go top 20. I still don’t have a gauge on him to be honest. 

This is exactly why I like Jones. Would I rather have Wilson? Absolutely. I do like Fields arm, well legs too, but that tendency to take an unnecessary sack drives me nuts. Flashes of Jimmy G there, IMO. I just think Jones has the better awareness and decision making ability of those who will be there for us. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Correct, though I think he's not the type to even haphazardly guess. I'd be willing to wager that when he dropped that nugget about us being the landing spot for darnold, for example, was right when we were having discussions about him. So they can certainly be wrong in the end, but I think he likely has good reason for saying whatever he does

Ultimately, i feel a lot better this week than i did last week. Was very depressing to see every reliable reporter seem to have Jones as a lock. Feels better when they're all kind of backtracking a bit. 

Will be interesting to see the media's predictions after Fields & Lance's pro day.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There is no question Jones is going to be good with Shanny. A lot of his strengths fit well with this offense and he will provide the deep ball that is currently missing in this offense. Fans will KILL the FO and Shanny for this pick but he's going to be good from the start and will have this team competing for deep playoff runs....HOWEVER, will he continue elevating the team when the talent dips a bit? What's he going to do against teams that force him out of the pocket? The other two QBs give you the ability to have a game changer at the position if they reach their potential and that puts this team in position to be contenders for majority of the next 10 or so years. 

I don't know about good. I think he'll be fine, which is pretty much how I Feel about Cousins and Jimmy and a host of others. His worth pretty much evaporates on his second deal unless he really maxes out mentally, and I don't see a guy that is elevating his teammates. I think Mac is probably a 3 year window  (years 2-4 of his contract) and then you may have a good year in the years his cap hits are lower. Its fine.

I Do agree that Shanny will get absolutely excoriated for a choice of Mac Jones though. You'll get a ton of people writing about his hubris or talking about his hubris...I feel like that is a lock. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I don't know about good. I think he'll be fine, which is pretty much how I Feel about Cousins and Jimmy and a host of others. His worth pretty much evaporates on his second deal unless he really maxes out mentally, and I don't see a guy that is elevating his teammates. I think Mac is probably a 3 year window  (years 2-4 of his contract) and then you may have a good year in the years his cap hits are lower. Its fine.

I Do agree that Shanny will get absolutely excoriated for a choice of Mac Jones though. You'll get a ton of people writing about his hubris or talking about his hubris...I feel like that is a lock. 

Honestly, it's hard not to call Cousins good and Jones is probably going to be better than him. But will he ever be on the Watson/Allen/Mahomes/etc level? Absolutely not. 

35 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, it's hard not to call Cousins good and Jones is probably going to be better than him. But will he ever be on the Watson/Allen/Mahomes/etc level? Absolutely not. 

I mean, I certainly wouldn't say that he's "probably" going to be better than him.  I may not think Cousins is great, but its not easy to replace. Cousins is just an interesting dude. Above average for sure. Its semantics on where you would draw the line at good, but I think he's probably about top 12ish? If you want to consider it "good" in terms of starting quarterbacks, I won't fight too hard, but he's had some pretty wide varying seasons in terms of overall efficiency compared to others (basically as high as 10 or as low as 20 in the last 4 years of dvoa), middle of the pack QBR, 20 / 15/ 6 / 9 in PFF. It's been a bit all over. Though his last two years, like Carr, have been outstanding. They are basically the reverse Jared Goff who was a top 6 QB for two years with McVAy and then was a disaster lol 

Cousins is that type of guy where any season in a vacuum I don't expect him to be "good", but know that he's capable of it, and I don't expect him to be worse than average, but also know that he's capable of that sometimes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I find it interesting that NE is going there. Do they think they have a shot at trading up for Fields? If so, does that signal he's not in our plans? Or maybe just due diligence on their part? Could they also be trying to get facetime with the Niners to discuss Jimmy? So many things to interpret one way or another

13 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I find it interesting that NE is going there. Do they think they have a shot at trading up for Fields? If so, does that signal he's not in our plans? Or maybe just due diligence on their part? Could they also be trying to get facetime with the Niners to discuss Jimmy? So many things to interpret one way or another

My guess is if he isn't our pick at 3 they will give the house to move to 4 for him.