3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

I've been seeing a ton of stuff lately on how supremely intelligent Fields is now. Like how Harvard wanted him because he tested through the roof, how he was like the fastest at the QB Collective to pick up the concepts and excel, etc. 

So, he's super smart, built like a mac truck, moves like a Ferrari, has a shotgun for a right arm, and is one of the most accurate QB's to be charted in the past couple of years.

But Mac Jones is still the favorite to go #3? ]

Pleased Season 3 GIF by The Office

The choice to take Fields should be as easy as it was to take Bosa.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 5

On 4/11/2021 at 8:32 AM, Forge said:

Personally, I don't get it. There are a couple of things that Jones does really well, and better than fields even, but they are few and far between. Analytically he's inferior, physically he's inferior, and he's just as much of a projection. 

He's amazing under pressure when he can stay in his phone booth, but if he breaks the pocket, his game goes to hell. 

It's like picking out one trait and making it more important than everything else combined

This is why I keep asking rhetorically if we would even be talking about Jones if he played for Kentucky or Vanderbilt. He was one of the least pressured QBs in the college football, had an awesome running game to keep LBs and dbs honest, and a pair of the best receivers to ever play together. Who knows how much his game might be exposed if he was under pressure a lot and had ordinary receivers not getting open every time they ran a route.

Edited by big9erfan

On 4/11/2021 at 11:05 AM, JIllg said:

My problem with Mac Jones is arm strength. Folks have given him Matt Ryan and Tom Brady comps, but those guys can drive the ball. Jones' arm strength isn't NFL average. Like, watch the Georgia tape (the team with the defensive talent that could most match Alabama's) and how every ball past fifteen yards is coming up weak and short, even when the play works. He's got to be like old man Drew Brees mentally or it's not gonna happen for him. Watching more film, I don't see much difference over Kyle Trask. If he had weapons bail on him for the bowl game we'd be hearing the same stuff about him.

Exactly. It's one thing to take a guy with a great head and not a great arm. But his arm is isn't merely "not great" it's below average. Maybe far below average. I mean think about which starting QBs in the league have arms as weak as Jones. Watching his pro day and Fields back to back was a bad day for Jones because his arm is not close to being in the same league as Fields, or Wilson or Lance.

Edited by big9erfan

15 hours ago, Forge said:

10. HUGE WEEK FOR NINERS. Much was made of the Niners trading up to number three in the draft, and favoring Alabama’s Mac Jones with that third overall pick. I’ve been told the team has not made a decision who to take—I’m still guessing Jones—and the next eight days will be crucial in fact-finding. Coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch will be at second Pro Days for both Justin Fields in Columbus (Wednesday) and Trey Lance in North Dakota (next Monday).

Every year, there’s a wide variety of opinions on QB prospects. But the Mac Jones analysis is particularly wide-ranging. He’s not big for the position, at 6-2 ½ and 217 pounds, and he has neither a power arm nor great mobility. But those who love him really love him. He’s exceptionally smart and accurate (77.4 percent at Alabama in 2020), and, per Dane Brugler of The Athletic, accurate downfield too—58 percent on throws traveling 20 yards or more downfield, with 17 touchdowns and two interceptions. Jones waited his turn after Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa, then might have outplayed both of them in leading the NCAA in accuracy and passing yards (4,500) last year. As one coach who is studying quarterbacks this postseason told me: “His footwork is perfect, his decision-making is excellent, and even though he doesn’t have the strongest arm, it’s crazy how many deep balls he threw at Alabama that were right on the money.”

So we’ll see. Jones isn’t the athlete of the others in the class, but he does have traits any coach would like.

Yeah. But none of this takes into account scheme and surrounding talent. I posted that scattter chart of his passes. So many thrown at or behind the line of scrimmage! That will jack up anyone's completion percentage. 58% beyond 20 is not all that great and probably helped a lot be his receivers ability to get wide open thus allowing him to be off a bit and still complete it. The telling thing about his scatter chart is his almost complete lack of throw to the outside. His arm just isn't up to that on a regular basis. Are there any starting NFL QBs that can't drive the ball on a long square out?

Edited by big9erfan

4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I've been seeing a ton of stuff lately on how supremely intelligent Fields is now. Like how Harvard wanted him because he tested through the roof, how he was like the fastest at the QB Collective to pick up the concepts and excel, etc. 

So, he's super smart, built like a mac truck, moves like a Ferrari, has a shotgun for a right arm, and is one of the most accurate QB's to be charted in the past couple of years.

But Mac Jones is still the favorite to go #3? ]

Pleased Season 3 GIF by The Office

The choice to take Fields should be as easy as it was to take Bosa.

This and more this. Bosa was so easy...yet I remember the Q. Williams hype. Fields needs to be the pick. 

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

This is why I keep asking rhetorically if we would even be talking about Jones if he played for Kentucky or Vanderbilt. 

Easy answer no. He'd still get 1st rd talk but it would be more of the only 1 yr starter label Trey Lance is getting. 

49ers twitter kills me with the conspiracy theory on the QB collective account. I'm pretty sure that they just want to put their brand out there and the biggest ambassador of that right now is Justin Fields, but 49er twitter just goes bananas whenever they retweet stuff tying Fields / 49ers together lol 

• Like 1