3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

49ers twitter kills me with the conspiracy theory on the QB collective account. I'm pretty sure that they just want to put their brand out there and the biggest ambassador of that right now is Justin Fields, but 49er twitter just goes bananas whenever they retweet stuff tying Fields / 49ers together lol 

Lol I know like they know anything, and Kyle's agent is the one who runs this I'm sure he knows absolutely nothing. If he even did know why would he be leaking it. Lol 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big9erfan said:

This is why I keep asking rhetorically if we would even be talking about Jones if he played for Kentucky or Vanderbilt.

If he were...

First in completion percentage, 1st in deep yards, 2nd in screen yards, 4% drop rate, among the top five:  1st in Pressure to Sack Conversion Rate with 12.3%, 3rd (Tied for 27th overall) in Average Time to Throw, etc.

...then hell, yes, we'd be talking about Mac Jones.

Before we downgrade him for having great talent and coaching around him (without giving him credit for drawing out that talent) can we ask ourselves how this makes him inappropriate for the 49ers (whose starters are #1 in aggregate individual PFF ratings)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

No kidding.. People saw thru this when it was first released..

Yes, but only a few actually put their money where their mouth is. I missed the boat (Damn Cali) but good luck to my brothers that jumped on it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

If he were...

Before we downgrade him for having great talent and coaching around him (without giving him credit for drawing out that talent) can we ask ourselves how this makes him inappropriate for the 49ers (whose starters are #1 in aggregate individual PFF ratings)?

The problem with this line of thinking is that alot of those advance stats are achieved because of the talent around him. When you're playing with two WRs who will probably be top 15 overall picks and a pro-like O-Line that kept him pretty much unscathed for the most part and graded out as a top 5-10 unit in all of college for most of the year then one can rightfully ask is he a product of a fined-tuned Bama system? A system that has the two QBs who preceeded him being drafted within the top 50 picks of the previous draft.

I think a better question to ask is he on par or better than Hurts or Tua? Different skillset from those two but talent and playmaking ability wise, where does Mac stack up against those two?

I've made my critiques of Mac known. If he is the pick, he will probably do very well under Shanny. There are elements to his game that make him appealing for the scheme. But I feel there are slew of QBs in this draft who Shanny could draft much later and be just as effective with if Mac is the barometer.

BUT he is in no shape or form, the 3rd best player in this draft. He is definitely not the 3rd best QB in this class. Any team drafting Mac Jones top 10 is fooling themselves into believing he is something that he's not. I would take a kid like Brock Purdy, who ppl aren't talking about enough, over him everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. And as much as I like Purdy, he's not worthy of a #3 overall pick either....not by a longshot.

And that's not saying Mac is a total bum or anything. But there are no qualities about his game that are truly elite or even top tier. What ppl rave about the most with his game(processing) you can't even quantify really. Throwing with anticipation is great and all but that alone isn't worthy of a #3 overall pick.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

If he were...

I mean, the Kentucky QB would also have to have the most yards throwing to wide open receivers - 3000+, more than double the next player in the list last year. Deep yards can be achieved without NFL deep accuracy.  Ball tracking universally places his throws beyond 20 yards a good chunk behind the top three in terms of accuracy. And the eyes say it's simple

lack of arm strength.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The problem with this line of thinking is that alot of those advance stats are achieved because of the talent around him.

And what kind of talent will he have around him in San Francisco?

I think a better question to ask is he on par or better than Hurts or Tua?

Who have both been poor at the professional level in large part because they went from a great team to a mediocre one.  We are talking about Mac going to San Francisco.  Solid possession receivers.  Low ADoT.  Great defense, O-Line and coaching. 

No one cares how well he'd do on other teams.  

BUT he is in no shape or form, the 3rd best player in this draft.

He doesn't have to be.  He just has to be the Missing Piece for San Fran.  Even PFF and NFL.com are mocking him at third while explicitly stating there are other highly rated choices.

He is definitely not the 3rd best QB in this class.

Based on the tape and numbers I disagree.

JIllg wrote:

Deep yards can be achieved without NFL deep accuracy.

Or deep throwing, which is why Mac Jones leads college QBs in deep yards.

By threading the needle play after play Mac Jones shows that one can be a strong but not long passer.  (Similarly, the fact that he isn't a threat to run doesn't mean he's a "statue".)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

If he were...

Rhetorical question, but this kind of misses the point, or rather doesn't address it. Do you personally think any of these stats would be the case if he were playing at an average football program. My personal opinion that at an average program he would be seem as an above average QB who just might be worth a pick in the latter half of the first round.

47 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

And what kind of talent will he have around him in San Francisco?

What kind of talent would Justin Fields have around him in SF? What about Trey Lance?

Who have both been poor at the professional level in large part because they went from a great team to a mediocre one.  We are talking about Mac going to San Francisco.  Solid possession receivers.  Low ADoT.  Great defense, O-Line and coaching. 

No one cares how well he'd do on other teams.

The low aDOT is a result of the qb situation is SF, not a preference of shanny. He had one of the highest adots in Atlanta. One of the lowest here. Shanny adjusts to what works

It's such a bizarre stance to not consider how good these QBs are in a vacuum. Each of them would benefit considerably from shanny. It's not like that bump is only applicable to Jones. 

He doesn't have to be.  He just has to be the Missing Piece for San Fran.  Even PFF and NFL.com are mocking him at third while explicitly stating there are other highly rated choices.

They are mocking him there. Doesn't mean they think he's worth it, and if their mocks are based on what they think will happen based on what's been said then it doesn't really mean much. 

But it's so vague to simply try to apply "missing piece" as the basis of a selection. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Middlekauf thinks it's Lance. 

He's going to get his bump soon in my rankings. I still don't know that I trust his accuracy as being something  that shanny would covet, but he's seriously got everything else

30 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Rhetorical question, but this kind of misses the point, or rather doesn't address it. Do you personally think any of these stats would be the case if he were playing at an average football program. My personal opinion that at an average program he would be seem as an above average QB who just might be worth a pick in the latter half of the first round.

You have to factor in that he was playing behind a NFL caliber OLine, with 3 Pro Ready WR's and a RB who should be our pick later in the draft if we trade up..

23 minutes ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

Vegas knows something.. 

I dont buy this narrative. 

This organization has been extremely tight lipped about everything. Its no coincidence that we dont get a lot of leaks out of our building over the past few years. Its not because people in the building stopped talking to the media, its because we stopped telegraphing everything we do to all of the employees. There is only a very small circle of decision makers in our organization, and none of them are going to say anything to anyone until draft day. 

Vegas thinks they know, because guys like Schefter think they know. Its not that anyone in vegas has spoken with anyone from our organization before they set the lines. They are just working off of what the media is feeding them.

So, I think their lines are a direct result of the odds makers getting carried away with what they are hearing from the media, which is funny because my running theory is that certain members of the media are regurgitating what they are hearing from other media members. Which is how we got here in the first place. Chris simms came out and said definitively - its mac jones - then everyone was like - well, he MUST know, so therefore its truth. Then the next media member says "I think they like jones" because he was basing it off of what simms was saying and somehow it gets spun into this whirlwind of - it HAS to be true because now EVERYONE is saying it, which is why David Lombardi called this an echo chamber. 

"where there is smoke, there is fire" more like "where there is draft smoke, there is a liar"!! LOL

• Like 1