3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Random, but how would you feel that instead of giving Jones a big deal after his rookie contract is up, but the team trades him away and uses the additional compensation to trade up for the next cheap rookie QB? And keep this trend going and continue to stack the rest of the roster while still getting a top level QB in the draft? 

I don't know, honestly. I've been torn on this concept for a while. I'm open to the idea, but I can also think of a lot of drawbacks. Namely, it requires you to be able to draft/develop a winning NFL QB twice, and most teams have a heck of a time doing it once. Then you probably only have a three-year window thanks to our complicated scheme. You also probably have to be certain that the guy you trade is worth the team with the #1 overall pick giving that up, or possibly a little lower if there are multiple good QBs like this year (though, 2018 was also a "great" class of QBs, so that's a variable too). And then you have to be concerned about the effect on the locker room. If this year's QB wins two Super Bowls and can't get a second contract from the team, what are the other guys going to think?

It does appear that teams with QBs on rookie contracts are the way to go currently, but I'd also argue the only currently accurate predictor of whether or not you can win a Super Bowl is whether or not you have Tom Brady. When (if????) Brady retires, that might create an entirely new paradigm.

I might sound more against than not, but I truly haven't made up my mind yet. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is pretty funny:

Last week, TDN had Mac Jones #3 and Fields #8 on their big board. Today, Fields is now #5 and Jones is #65. 😮

We've seen the national narrative shift away from Jones and it appears TDN not only following suit, but trying to bury Jones in the basement LOL.  

Well then, that's the first time I have seen anyone properly rank Jones, so props to TDN.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, N4L said:

Give me a break. His parents named him McCorkle, how smart can they really be? 

And this is really intelligent commentary, right?! Relevant to making a draft pick: "Oh, wait. Look what their parents named him! Oh, wow. The kid has to be an idiot with parents like that! Drop him to day 3 on our board!"

😜

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Is the Fields pro day with Shanny running the show going to be televised or no? I'm guessing it probably won't? Which is kind of a shame.

It's closed to the media. As is Lance's, I'm pretty sure. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's closed to the media. As is Lance's, I'm pretty sure. 

Probably best. All it takes is one big smile or an approving head-nod from Lynch or Shanahan for Twitter to outright explode. Or, on the flip side, one head shake on a bad deep throw like Belichick did at Jones' pro day. 

It's interesting that Belichick will be there for Fields' pro day, but it sounds like it will be Shanahan's show. I wonder if the 49ers' had any control over who attends.

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

Probably best. All it takes is one big smile or an approving head-nod from Lynch or Shanahan for Twitter to outright explode. Or, on the flip side, one head shake on a bad deep throw like Belichick did at Jones' pro day. 

It's interesting that Belichick will be there for Fields' pro day, but it sounds like it will be Shanahan's show. I wonder if the 49ers' had any control over who attends.

They can't have any control over who attends. Its just who wants to go and then the teams have a max of 3 i believe that can go.

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

No, any team can attend. Private workouts are not allowed this year

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Mel thinks the niners are locked in to Mac Jones at number 3. 

Just heard that. Let's see if the tone changes after Fields/Lance pro days. But if it ends up being Jones, really curious how this was leaked out the way it was.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just heard that. Let's see if the tone changes after Fields/Lance pro days. But if it ends up being Jones, really curious how this was leaked out the way it was.

The one that kills me is Riddick. The more that dude opens his mouth regarding the draft over the last few years, the more I understand why he can't get a GM job. Sorry, but notion of, "draft guys for your scheme" rather than "build your scheme around your talent" is such a very outdated and misguided doctrine to run a team by. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know that we ever find out, to be honest. May have been an educated guess by people and Shanny is as predictably stubborn as people think lol. Could be that there was a real leak from somewhere, though that doesn't mesh with how we have handled similar draft situations in the past (Bosa) or how we handled the selection internally. 

But just taking out the "I think the pick will be Jones crowd", there are still a lot of people who believe the leader in the clubhouse is Mac Jones for whatever reason, and they aren't the type of people you easily discount. 

33 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And this is really intelligent commentary, right?! Relevant to making a draft pick: "Oh, wait. Look what their parents named him! Oh, wow. The kid has to be an idiot with parents like that! Drop him to day 3 on our board!"

😜

My response was meant to highlight the absurdity of the quoted comment and was clearly in jest. Yeeessh