3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Back on Lance @Forge!!!!!

Seriously though, I will stick it through with Lance. I keep going back to his age and how he's THE guy Shanny gets to personally mold into whatever he wants him to. Lance does so many good things but he's not all the way there and I think Shanny kind of likes that.

50% Lance

40% Fields

10% Jones

LOL! 

I love everything about him but throwing the ball. But it's not like his accuracy is Kyle Boller levels. Its just not great in comparison to accurate freaks like Mac and Fields. I'm good with a Lance selection and agree with everythign you're saying. If you are a QB guru type like Shanny, Lance has to appeal like crazy to you. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Back on Lance @Forge!!!!!

Seriously though, I will stick it through with Lance. I keep going back to his age and how he's THE guy Shanny gets to personally mold into whatever he wants him to. Lance does so many good things but he's not all the way there and I think Shanny kind of likes that.

50% Lance

40% Fields

10% Jones

LOL! 

I believe those exact same numbers were my initial prediction on March 26 

Then the constant Jones chatter from seemingly every reliable (and non-reliable) source led me to think (despair?) that he was the pick. 

With the backtracking & further analysis, im back on board with your 50/40/10.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I love everything about him but throwing the ball. But it's not like his accuracy is Kyle Boller levels. Its just not great in comparison to accurate freaks like Mac and Fields. I'm good with a Lance selection and agree with everythign you're saying. If you are a QB guru type like Shanny, Lance has to appeal like crazy to you. 

But look at his age and then tell me how good Jones or Fields would have been at the age of 19? I mean Fields may have been fine but Jones didn't get on the field until he was 21 years old and that was only because Tua got hurt so his senior season he was 22. Shanny probably believes he can help Lance clean some stuff up and then have a complete monster behind center where he doesn't have to just rely on drawing open receivers every single play.

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I believe those exact same numbers were my initial prediction on March 26 

Then the constant Jones chatter from seemingly every reliable (and non-reliable) source led me to think (despair?) that he was the pick. 

With the backtracking & further analysis, im back on board with your 50/40/10.

Something isn't adding up with the Jones' leaks. We talked about it earlier but it's either coming from Peters or Mike Shanahan IMO...I don't know, but I'm not buying the Jones talks. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

lol. I hate your avi. I'd be ok with Lance as well. I think the bust risk is higher with Lance and I'm super high on Fields, so I'm remaining steadfast in Fields as my pick. Lance's upside would super exciting, which is a big reason I was all about taking him if he fell to 12. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Peter King said he doesn't think a decision has been made yet.....but does he think it will be Mac Jones? "Yes"

Let's see if his tone changes as we get closer to the draft or not.

This is the one I'm watching. He's not a lock, but his prior accuracy certainly demands attention 

Side note, i do wonder who these beat reporters/national writers sources actually are. Maiocco on his latest podcast talked about how when a national reporter breaks a story, he usually knows who the source is. 

I have my guesses. Like, when Rappaport breaks a story about the Niners signing someone, i'm thinking its Marathe since he handles the contracts and knows when its finalized. But when King reports that the Niners are in on McGlinchey or Kinlaw before any other writer, who is telling him this? Is it the position coach who got a heads up to expect this player? The agent? 

Also, speaking of Peter King, Biderman tweeted that he just recorded a conversation with Peter King for Candlestick Chronicles podcast. Should drop tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to hear. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

John Beck is now working with Trey Lance as well. 

Side note, Mac Jones is the only QB at the top who is not working with some sort of developmental coach / QB coach. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Side note, Mac Jones is the only QB at the top who is not working with some sort of developmental coach / QB coach. 

Another plot point on him being conceded/lazy...

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

“Knowing that I’ve been around (Fields) the last three months, he’ll reach out and just want to ask questions or talk,” Beck said Tuesday in a phone interview from his facility in Huntington Beach. “And kind of like prod into: What are the things we’re working on, the things that I think having played in his system, having been coached by him, I know how he’s going to coach quarterbacks. I know what he’s looking for. So I think it’s an easy extension of Kyle in terms of the eyes I have for quarterbacks.”

All of which makes personal relationships, like what Shanahan and some of his assistants have with Beck, all the more important.

Beck, who is a protege of well-known throwing coach Tom House, worked with Matt Ryan when Shanahan was the Falcons offensive coordinator. He’s also worked with 49ers quarterbacks Jimmy Garoppolo, Nick Mullens and C.J. Beathard, which he said has allowed him to keep up with what Shanahan is seeking from his quarterbacks.

https://theathletic.com/2517756/2021/04/13/49ers-are-close-with-justin-fields-qb-coach-who-now-works-with-trey-lance-too/?redirected=1

Lol from the article above I decided to google and came up from this article about Kyle wanting to draft Beck. Here's Kyle's quote.

It wasn’t even close,” Shanahan said back in April. “He has everything you look for in a quarterback. No. 1 you have to love the game, you have to have the mindset. What I’m looking for is a guy first to work and last to leave. You’ve got to be able to run this offense at a very high level. He can do things with his legs that a lot of quarterbacks can’t do.”

This was from a decade ago but the legs part got me at the end.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/did-kyle-shanahan-want-to-draft-john-beck-10th-in-2007/2011/08/09/gIQAD1xM4I_blog.html

Edited by 49erurtaza

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Lol from the article above I decided to google and came up from this article about Kyle wanting to draft Beck. Here's Kyle's quote.

It wasn’t even close,” Shanahan said back in April. “He has everything you look for in a quarterback. No. 1 you have to love the game, you have to have the mindset. What I’m looking for is a guy first to work and last to leave. You’ve got to be able to run this offense at a very high level. He can do things with his legs that a lot of quarterbacks can’t do.”

This was from a decade ago but the legs part got me at the end.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/did-kyle-shanahan-want-to-draft-john-beck-10th-in-2007/2011/08/09/gIQAD1xM4I_blog.html

And this is EXCATLY why you need a GM/player personnel guy to save Kyle from himself. Reading that article is like watching us draft Beathard in the 3rd round all over again while most had him as a UDFA.

And its also why moving up to draft Mac #3 overall is a real possibility and is stressing my fandom everyday until we're on the clock. 

Edited by 757-NINER