3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/4/14/22383016/golden-nuggets-49ers-rapoport-lynch-shanahan-quarterback-targeting-fields-lance

The Athletic’s Matt Barrows had an insightful interview below that featured John Beck — who currently trains Justin Fields and Trey Lance — about daily phone calls between Kyle Shanahan and his former QB turned quarterback guru.

“Knowing that I’ve been around (Fields) the last three months, he’ll reach out and just want to ask questions or talk,” Beck said.

“And kind of like prod into: What are the things we’re working on, the things that I think having played in his system, having been coached by him, I know how he’s going to coach quarterbacks. I know what he’s looking for. So I think it’s an easy extension of Kyle in terms of the eyes I have for quarterbacks.”

“It’s along the lines of, ‘Hey, I know when he did some of these throws, some of the (play) action was to one side. Can you show me those actions to the other?’” Beck said. “It’s simple stuff like that. That way Kyle can get a balanced look.”

That's a lot of digging into someone that the national media is almost completely sure we're not going to take. 

Edited by NinerNation21

10 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/4/14/22383016/golden-nuggets-49ers-rapoport-lynch-shanahan-quarterback-targeting-fields-lance

That's a lot of digging into someone that the national media is almost completely sure we're not going to take. 

So when Kyle asks about can you show me the action in the other side. I'm guessing Beck is sending him video of Fields doing that on the practice field. Super interesting stuff. Tbh I'm all in that Fields the pick. Maybe it's hopefulness but man I just have a feeling it's Fields.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

So when Kyle asks about can you show me the action in the other side. I'm guessing Beck is sending him video of Fields doing that on the practice field. Super interesting stuff. Tbh I'm all in that Fields the pick. Maybe it's hopefulness but man I just have a feeling it's Fields.

I am too. And it feels like the 49ers are in more than the national media is willing to admit. They says we love Jones, yet Shanahan is good buddies with Fields' QB coach and is having regular conversations about Fields. We're attending both of Fields' pro days and are conducting the one today with actual practice plays.

Where is all of this stuff with Jones? There is less tape on Jones than Fields, yet we're not doing this deep of a dive into Jones (from the public perspective). I'm sure they're doing all of their due diligence into Jones, but it certainly feels like they're paying more attention to Fields. 

Mac Jones at 3 still feels bogus to me.

12 hours ago, N4L said:

Bomani nailed this

"If you believe in your scheme above all else, then why trade (two) first round picks to go up and get this dude (McCorkle)??" 

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

-IT AINT HAPPENING-

Wish I could relax and believe this. But we have 1 of the only HC who is arrogant enough to think this...and still make the trade. 

30 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

So Kyle is getting unfiltered answers to questions about a potential QB most teams can't get. If he passes on Fields than he's looking for someone to fit in this "box" as a QB. Not trying to build the "box" around the QB skill set. 

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I feel bad dunking on Mort considering he has cancer, but c'mon ESPN. 

ESPN is so bad. Ever since they went more talking heads and less highlights, it's been downhill ever since. 

*Has Aaron Rodgers - Alex Smith flashbacks*

*Cries*

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

*Has Aaron Rodgers - Alex Smith flashbacks*

*Cries*

Eh, I'm over the whole notion that we'd have been better off with Rodgers. We were such a bad org back then that we'd have broken Rodgers anyways. Neither were going to succeed with 49ers in that environment.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

ESPN is so bad. Ever since they went more talking heads and less highlights, it's been downhill ever since. 

So first Fields has work ethic concerns from Dan Orlovksy, and now mechanical concerns from Mort

Some team really wants Fields to fall to them

Just now, 49ersfan said:

So first Fields has work ethic concerns from Dan Orlovksy, and now mechanical concerns from Mort

Some team really wants Fields to fall to them

Or, ESPN talking heads are just bad at their job. The Orlovsky thing may have more credence to what you're saying since he did get that "info" from someone else and promptly puked all over himself on national TV. 

But the Mort thing is just lazy ESPN crap. 

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Fwiw, right after the video cut off, he mentioned Mahomes and Russ as examples who succeeded. 

Just now, 49ers fan said:

Fwiw, right after the video cut off, he mentioned Mahomes and Russ as examples who succeeded. 

Still doesn't change it much for me. I've played baseball all my life and when watching Fields throwing motion, I'm not seeing anything baseball related. He has a bit of a high elbow when drawing back to throw, which maybe you could say comes from playing SS or 3B, but it's not terrible. He definitely doesn't throw it like an OF or a P. 

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Still doesn't change it much for me. I've played baseball all my life and when watching Fields throwing motion, I'm not seeing anything baseball related. He has a bit of a high elbow when drawing back to throw, which maybe you could say comes from playing SS or 3B, but it's not terrible. He definitely doesn't throw it like an OF or a P. 

Agreed. Still a weird thing to say this far into the process. If it was truly broken, it would have been said 3 years ago.