3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

The more I think about it, the less I like Lance. Especially at #3. I think he has a ton to clean up and a lot of work to do. He's just not worth the #3 pick to me. If we were still at #12, I'd consider him for sure. If we traded back and landed him around #20, I'd be pretty happy with that. 

To me, the rankings of the top 5 QBs are:

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Fields

4. Jones

5. Lance

I think its way over reported how supposedly "raw" Trey Lance is... I think Forge is correct, his accuracy worries me but if I was ranking QBs this would be my rankings.

1. Lawrence

2. Fields

3. Lance

4. Wilson- Nothing against his ability at all, just his body size etc would lead me to worry about his ability to stay healthy.

5. Kellen Mond

6. Mac Jones- Sorry Chrisooner49er, I respect your opinion, just don't see it.

7. Kyle Trash

20 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I think its way over reported how supposedly "raw" Trey Lance is... I think Forge is correct, his accuracy worries me but if I was ranking QBs this would be my rankings.

1. Lawrence

2. Fields

3. Lance

4. Wilson- Nothing against his ability at all, just his body size etc would lead me to worry about his ability to stay healthy.

5. Kellen Mond

6. Mac Jones- Sorry Chrisooner49er, I respect your opinion, just don't see it.

7. Kyle Trash

Few do. Some say it's all because of his supporting cast. His WRs, however, vouch for him. If Tua could be drafted so high, I don't get why Mac shouldn't. Teammates of both say Jones is better. Or, they're all about the latest trend...got to get a sports car of a QB. Athleticism should be a nice addition, not the focus. QB is still a cerebral position. And those who already have experience in a more pro-style O should not be discounted just because someone else is more athletic (pointing more at Lance than Fields with this).

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Few do. Some say it's all because of his supporting cast. His WRs, however, vouch for him. If Tua could be drafted so high, I don't get why Mac shouldn't. Teammates of both say Jones is better. Or, they're all about the latest trend...got to get a sports car of a QB. Athleticism should be a nice addition, not the focus. QB is still a cerebral position. And those who already have experience in a more pro-style O should not be discounted just because someone else is more athletic (pointing more at Lance than Fields with this).

Great point!

22 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Here's the problem...its not the focus. It seems like you are making it the focus far more than anyone else. People aren't clamoring for Fields because he runs a 4.4. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Why is it the former GM's who have the worst takes? Casserly, Tannebaum, Lombardi may be right, but their reasoning is horrible

might have something to do with it. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

Great point!

The tua thing is valid to an extent, but that's draft variances. Tua didn't have a multiple QBs that were better from the off like Mac has with Wilson and Lawrence up top. The fact that Tua responded so poorly in the NFL compared to Justin Herbert probably doesn't help Mac's case after the fact. It's just learning. 

Remember, Tua was seen as an elite processor. He got to the league and he was paralyzed because he wanted the perfect solution all the time and that doesn't exist. All the talk about Mac avoiding sacks? That's all stuff people heard with Tua...and yet he somehow was sacked at a higher rate than Justin Herbert who arguably had the worst offensive line in football last year. 

I'm not sure what would be construed as a great point. QB is a cerebral position? Fields learning aptitude is sky high and he had multiple offers from ivy league schools. One of the main pros to the game of Trey Lance is where he's at mentally at 19/20 years old. Dude calls out the Mike, makes protections. He legitimately runs an NFL offense. 

Also, "shouldn't discount guys in pro style offense"...Mac isn't in a pro style offense lol. Experience under center, he has less than both Fields and Lance. Play calls? Nearly a quarter of his his plays are rpos. He has fewer than half the roll outs of Fields and less than a third of Lance. 

To be pointing at Lance when talking about giving credit for playing in a pro style offense over athleticism is amazingly misinformed and misguided

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Here's the problem...its not the focus. It seems like you are making it the focus far more than anyone else. People aren't clamoring for Fields because he runs a 4.4. 

The athleticism is an awesome perk, but Fields arm is why I like him so much. He can hit every inch of the field with tremendous accuracy and touch, which is not something Jones or anyone on our roster can claim. I know this is not something some may care about, but I love the fact that he has been in the spotlight since he was ~17 years old and played in big games at a big program. I don't think this is a guy who is going fail due to outside noise or confidence. His mental acuity seems to be outstanding from everything I've read and he also has the body and toughness of an NFL QB.  

• Like 3

Nearly 100 pages and i'm not sure we've addressed what the real issue/question is. Fields is bigger, much faster and has a much stronger arm than Jones. Those are objective facts. Jones reads defenses quicker and processes what he reads quicker than Fields. That is a subjective assessment, but generally held to be true. OK. But that is the two of them as of right now. The question is - what will they be in two or three years?

Jones will never be as fast or have as strong an arm as Fields no matter what he does. So that gap will always exist. I believe both of them have topped out their physical skills. But have they topped out the mental part of their games? Has one of them topped out while the other will continue to grow in that area? If they both continue to grow where will they top out? So for me it boils down to whether Fields can get as good as Jones will be at processing things quickly.

In some sense that is a natural gift just as much as speed or arm strength. But it is also largely a question of training, repetition and learning ability. We have all seen guys who are not interested in that part of their game, or who show zero aptitude for it and thus are not likely to get very good at it. But I don't think that applies to Fields. From all reports he is a film junky and hungry to learn. From all reports he also learns quickly and absorbs his lessons well. Also, his film shows lots and lots of times where he reads defenders (safeties, cornerbacks and linebackers) and makes the right throw based on where they are moving to. So he does demonstrate this ability. So with further training and some new perspective and how to read defenses how will he progress?

The essence of the decision then should come down to whether, with a coach like Shanahan, Fields can continue to improve this part of his game. Will he get to a point where he is betterat  or as good than Jones? Or even close enough so the physical differences more than make up for a small difference? What do you all think about this question?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Forge said:

The tua thing is valid to an extent, but that's draft variances. Tua didn't have a multiple QBs that were better from the off like Mac has with Wilson and Lawrence up top. The fact that Tua responded so poorly in the NFL compared to Justin Herbert probably doesn't help Mac's case after the fact. It's just learning. 

Remember, Tua was seen as an elite processor. He got to the league and he was paralyzed because he wanted the perfect solution all the time and that doesn't exist. All the talk about Mac avoiding sacks? That's all stuff people heard with Tua...and yet he somehow was sacked at a higher rate than Justin Herbert who arguably had the worst offensive line in football last year. 

I'm not sure what would be construed as a great point. QB is a cerebral position? Fields learning aptitude is sky high and he had multiple offers from ivy league schools. One of the main pros to the game of Trey Lance is where he's at mentally at 19/20 years old. Dude calls out the Mike, makes protections. He legitimately runs an NFL offense. 

Also, "shouldn't discount guys in pro style offense"...Mac isn't in a pro style offense lol. Experience under center, he has less than both Fields and Lance. Play calls? Nearly a quarter of his his plays are rpos. He has fewer than half the roll outs of Fields and less than a third of Lance. 

To be pointing at Lance when talking about giving credit for playing in a pro style offense over athleticism is amazingly misinformed and misguided

Clapping GIF by Steve Harvey TV

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Forge said:

Remember, Tua was seen as an elite processor. He got to the league and he was paralyzed because he wanted the perfect solution all the time and that doesn't exist. 

I know Mac and Tau aren't the same QB but I think Mac could have similar struggles early on. He basically had the best OL/WR situation he could have in college. Most of the time in the NFL it won't be that way. 

All I know is the top QB besides Brady all make us go crazy when they use their legs to move around to set a beautiful throw. Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Allen, Jackson, Dak, and Murray. Maybe Mac will be different though.

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Lol idk if we are all going crazy or what lol. But I hear it. 

I hear it too. Also, Justin's body language is kind of weird. He gets done with the throw, looks genuinely happy to go fist bump Scangarello, then stops smiling right before looking at the camera. That is pretty weird. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Lol idk if we are all going crazy or what lol. But I hear it. 

I think he said "I like pools" 

Just now, XScutterX said:

I hear it too. Also, Justin's body language is kind of weird. He gets done with the throw, looks genuinely happy to go fist bump Scangarello, then stops smiling right before looking at the camera. That is pretty weird. 

If you think about it we told Bosa at the combine he was going to be the pick. What's the chances we told Fields the same thing? 

• Like 1
  • GW21 locked this topic