3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

If you think about it we told Bosa at the combine he was going to be the pick. What's the chances we told Fields the same thing? 

If he is your second ranked QB, you put out Mac Jones smoke and let Field's draft stock drop hoping the Jets don't take him. That's what i'd do....

That would be funny if that is what's happening right now.

• Like 1

Just now, XScutterX said:

If he is your second ranked QB, you put out Mac Jones smoke and let Field's draft stock drop hoping the Jets don't take him. That's what i'd do....

Ding Ding Ding! Exactly what I've been thinking. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XScutterX said:

This is the season of lying and smokescreens.. I love that fact no one knows what we are doing..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The tua thing is valid to an extent, but that's draft variances. Tua didn't have a multiple QBs that were better from the off like Mac has with Wilson and Lawrence up top. The fact that Tua responded so poorly in the NFL compared to Justin Herbert probably doesn't help Mac's case after the fact. It's just learning. 

Remember, Tua was seen as an elite processor. He got to the league and he was paralyzed because he wanted the perfect solution all the time and that doesn't exist. All the talk about Mac avoiding sacks? That's all stuff people heard with Tua...and yet he somehow was sacked at a higher rate than Justin Herbert who arguably had the worst offensive line in football last year. 

I'm not sure what would be construed as a great point. QB is a cerebral position? Fields learning aptitude is sky high and he had multiple offers from ivy league schools. One of the main pros to the game of Trey Lance is where he's at mentally at 19/20 years old. Dude calls out the Mike, makes protections. He legitimately runs an NFL offense. 

Also, "shouldn't discount guys in pro style offense"...Mac isn't in a pro style offense lol. Experience under center, he has less than both Fields and Lance. Play calls? Nearly a quarter of his his plays are rpos. He has fewer than half the roll outs of Fields and less than a third of Lance. 

To be pointing at Lance when talking about giving credit for playing in a pro style offense over athleticism is amazingly misinformed and misguided

Actually, all of that was pointed more at Lance than Fields. And Jones has 17 starts, I believe. I could be wrong, but I think Lance has a total of 19? A difference of 2 and in the SEC, I give Jones the edge for competition played against. Others may give Lance the edge because he had a lesser supporting cast...or did he? Isn't Lance's school one of the best at their level?

I will ignore the "misinformed and misguided' digs (wow, you certainly get aggressive in your opinions. Objective tone goes a long way to having people listen to you!) as no one person can know everything about every prospect. This is a forum for OPINIONS. We won't have much in the way of FACTS until we've seen these prospects' careers.

In fact, my favorite QB prospect has been Wilson. We just have a slim chance he will be there for us to pick.

I am mostly arguing against Lance, rather than Fields. Lance scares me. 

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Actually, all of that was pointed more at Lance than Fields. And Jones has 17 starts, I believe. I could be wrong, but I think Lance has a total of 19? A difference of 2 and in the SEC, I give Jones the edge for competition played against. Others may give Lance the edge because he had a lesser supporting cast...or did he? Isn't Lance's school one of the best at their level?

I will ignore the "misinformed and misguided' digs (wow, you certainly get aggressive in your opinions. Objective tone goes a long way to having people listen to you!) as no one person can know everything about every prospect. This is a forum for OPINIONS. We won't have much in the way of FACTS until we've seen these prospects' careers.

In fact, my favorite QB prospect has been Wilson. We just have a slim chance he will be there for us to pick.

Lance scares me too. Don't get me wrong, at 12 I would have loved to have him. But after giving up two future ones and a future three to move up to 3 I definitely want more of a sure thing. I think Fields has every bit the ceiling as Lance, but his floor is so much higher. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Lance scares me too. Don't get me wrong, at 12 I would have loved to have him. But after giving up two future ones and a future three to move up to 3 I definitely want more of a sure thing. I think Fields has every bit the ceiling as Lance, but his floor is so much higher. 

This... this....AND THIS!

1 hour ago, sherm said:

I know Mac and Tau aren't the same QB but I think Mac could have similar struggles early on. He basically had the best OL/WR situation he could have in college. Most of the time in the NFL it won't be that way. 

All I know is the top QB besides Brady all make us go crazy when they use their legs to move around to set a beautiful throw. Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Allen, Jackson, Dak, and Murray. Maybe Mac will be different though.

I'm sure that he will to start off. As @jrry32 is fond of saying, pocket passers may not fully hit their strides until they are 27 or so. Tua had some other things going on that need to be taken into account (hip injury, lack of weapons), but its certainly disconcerting optically when you're outplayed by Fitzmagic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm sure that he will to start off. As @jrry32 is fond of saying, pocket passers may not fully hit their strides until they are 27 or so. Tua had some other things going on that need to be taken into account (hip injury, lack of weapons), but its certainly disconcerting optically when you're outplayed by Fitzmagic. 

There are exceptions, Matt Ryan being one. Obviously, though, Ryan isn't the ideal exception (because he never made the jump, outside of his MVP season with Kyle). But when your game is predicated on being smarter than and executing better than the defense, it's going to take some time for you to master the NFL.

On the other hand, if you have the athleticism to improvise when you're confused by the defense or they're initially executing better than you, it's going to be easier in the early career to have a lot of success. Of course, those QBs still have to grow and learn how to win within the structure of the offense by being smarter than the defense and executing better or else they get figured out.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If you think that the problems I have with you are your opinions, I don't know what to tell you other than that is not the case. I hope that helps.