2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

6 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Gotcha. Thanks for killing my hopes and dreams man LOL

Sorry brother.  😀

As much as I love having Mack the cost to get him both in draft booty and cap cost has killed off a few hopes and dreams in Chicago too.  He's taking up a lot of cap for a guy who isn't giving us 15 sacks or more per year.

Then we spend another $70 mil on Quinn hoping to make Mack more effective and Quinn shows up late or not at all.  Ryan Pace's inability to draft key positions like QB and Edge Rusher have been very costly in more ways than one.

• Like 1

Seems to me we've been through trends of the "running QB" before but when the dust settled it was the guys who could pick you apart from the pocket who ended up winning the biggest prizes.

Another problem is how long can the running QB last as a runner before cumulative injuries slow him down and his pocket passing skills aren't enough to win with once that happens.

Our problem is we didn't draft Rodgers, although we could have. And we didn't get Mahomes either although had Nagy been hired a year earlier we might have.  And by Pace not taking John Fox into his confidence who is said to have preferred Watson we ended up with Mitch.  I don't have a whole lot of faith Pace will get it right this time either but GMcC left him there to try so that's what's gonna happen.

At this point I would value football IQ, confidence, and accuracy above all else including above average mobility.  I agree with dll2000 that smart QBs always seem to be able to buy themselves just a little more time as long as they can just elude the rush instead of running from it. 

Like I posted previously.  We're in QB Purgatory right now where there aren't really any great moves we can make but we could make a whole lot of bad ones and that's what needs to be avoided.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Seems to me we've been through trends of the "running QB" before but when the dust settled it was the guys who could pick you apart from the pocket who ended up winning the biggest prizes.

Agree. The mobility is a huge asset and can be a crutch while the QB is developed. Changing launch points is hell for DBs in man. But if the QBs passing cant be developed you're looking at an exciting player with average potential at best. Precision passers are what are killing it. Some like Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers have varying levels of mobility that compliment their passing. But any of them can kill it from the pocket alone. 

The issue is, can we develop a QB with this staff? I wont hold my breath on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Sorry brother.  😀

As much as I love having Mack the cost to get him both in draft booty and cap cost has killed off a few hopes and dreams in Chicago too.  He's taking up a lot of cap for a guy who isn't giving us 15 sacks or more per year.

Then we spend another $70 mil on Quinn hoping to make Mack more effective and Quinn shows up late or not at all.  Ryan Pace's inability to draft key positions like QB and Edge Rusher have been very costly in more ways than one.

Yeah I was thinking a Mack/Bosa pairing would be beneficial to both guys.  If we don’t get another bookend we’ll end up paying 25 mill a year to watch Bosa get double/triple teamed.  Our front office is a joke too, so I feel ya there

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

There is so much freaking talent at WR and OT that I hope we trade down at least once in the first round.

Yeah...i feel like most boards have Cosmi-ot a bit lower on the board than pick 20...do a trade down, pick him up and ideally land a 4th pick in the first 3 rounds some how

41 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

OR... How about way way up at enormous cost?

This guy has some in house connection and is sometimes right, make of it what you will.

The $64,000 Question; "Is it a good thing"?

No.....it's not.  Why should he trade away much of the future (again) for a rookie QB whose gonna be the 4th best QB chosen?  The pecking order seems fairly clear.

If GMcC OKs this we should all wonder just what leverage Ryan Pace has over him.

Edited by soulman

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

OR... How about way way up at enormous cost?

This guy has some in house connection and is sometimes right, make of it what you will.

I look at what the 49ers just gave up to go from #12 to #3, and I'm thinking to go from #20 to #4 it would be:

2022 1st

2023 1st

at minimum.... no thanks

10 hours ago, soulman said:

The $64,000 Question; "Is it a good thing"?

No.....it's not.  Why should he trade away much of the future (again) for a rookie QB whose gonna be the 4th best QB chosen?  The pecking order seems fairly clear.

If GMcC OKs this we should all wonder just what leverage Ryan Pace has over him.

Because if things go as the draftnik community are predicting, that QB may be Justin Fields. Who may actually end up being the BEST quarterback in this draft. 

It's hardly worth discussing, though. As it's not going to happen. 

7 hours ago, G08 said:

I look at what the 49ers just gave up to go from #12 to #3, and I'm thinking to go from #20 to #4 it would be:

2022 1st

2023 1st

at minimum.... no thanks

The Bears would have to include defensive players. They can't (or rather, shouldn't) gut their draft in that way. Too many needs. Give the Falcons Eddie Jackson so we can at least draft a good ******* offensive lineman. 

53 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Because if things go as the draftnik community are predicting, that QB may be Justin Fields. Who may actually end up being the BEST quarterback in this draft. 

Pick #4 is going to be one of Fields, Mac Jones, or Wilson....

And honestly, any of them are a sizable upgrade over Trubisky.... and 2 of them are guys I'd at least consider moving for personally (Fields being the one I don't like because of perceived processor issues)..... That being said,  Field's camp and some pundits have been pushing back on the processing thing, point out that he did extremely well (best ever, in fact) on some kind of standardized test. I'm not sure I necessarily see that on his tape, but he is arguably the most physically talented player in the class, and has some incredible highlights even exceeding Lawrence, imo.

I mean, I'm negative on him, because he seems like a better all around version of Trubisky to me, but that alone would put us in potential divisional title contention.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Pick #4 is going to be one of Fields, Mac Jones, or Wilson....

And honestly, any of them are a sizable upgrade over Trubisky.... and 2 of them are guys I'd at least consider moving for personally (Fields being the one I don't like because of perceived processor issues)..... That being said,  Field's camp and some pundits have been pushing back on the processing thing, point out that he did extremely well (best ever, in fact) on some kind of standardized test. I'm not sure I necessarily see that on his tape, but he is arguably the most physically talented player in the class, and has some incredible highlights even exceeding Lawrence, imo.

I mean, I'm negative on him, because he seems like a better all around version of Trubisky to me, but that alone would put us in potential divisional title contention.

Agreed.

The processor problems may or may not be overblown, though. There have been quite a few people debating that basic "faulty processor" assumption. I mean...if your primary target is often open (and Ohio State was VERY good last year), are you not supposed to throw that guy the ball because you're worried about how draftniks and scouts will evaluate you? It's a valid point. Even Dan Orlovsky, who got into trouble criticizing Fields' work ethic, did a segment where he stated he thought that Fields was fine in that department. 

37 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The processor problems may or may not be overblown, though. There have been quite a few people debating that basic "faulty processor" assumption. I mean...if your primary target is often open (and Ohio State was VERY good last year), are you not supposed to throw that guy the ball because you're worried about how draftniks and scouts will evaluate you? It's a valid point. Even Dan Orlovsky, who got into trouble criticizing Fields' work ethic, did a segment where he stated he thought that Fields was fine in that department. 

This is what concerns me with regard to his processing.

• Like 1