@Heinz D. I think DEN, NE and WFT will strike if the right guy is there.

As long as we get Mond or Davis, I'll be good.

Maybe Jamie Newman in like the 5th round if all else fails. Maybe.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, G08 said:

@Heinz D. I think DEN, NE and WFT will strike if the right guy is there.

As long as we get Mond or Davis, I'll be good.

Maybe Jamie Newman in like the 5th round if all else fails. Maybe.

Don't know about WFT, they might be kicking that can down the road. Denver or New England...they'd probably pounce. I'm betting that Denver even trades up, actually. 

I hope Pace trades up to ensure he gets Mond or Davis. Because if Denver or New England doesn't get a guy in the first, it's possible that they'll be looking to the second. Pittsburgh too, maybe. 

Edited by Heinz D.

How often Is Adam Schefter wrong when he makes a declarative statement like this?  I can’t remember last time.  He is the mouth piece of teams who want to leak, but don’t want to come out and say it.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

How often Is Adam Schefter wrong when he makes a declarative statement like this?  I can’t remember last time.  He is the mouth piece of teams who want to leak, but don’t want to come out and say it.  

When he's that definitive, it usually comes to pass. Chris Simms was the first with the "Jones to San Francisco" talk--and he's Shanahan's friend. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, Chargers fan here, I had a crazy thought recently and was wondering what a Khalil Mack trade would look like?  Highly unlikely I’m sure, but his contract and age may not fit with your process (assuming you don’t get Russ or a different QB). Chargers have some cap to play with and huge need opposite Bosa. Add in Staley’s familiarity with Mack, thought it would be an ideal fit.  Thoughts? 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Hey guys, Chargers fan here, I had a crazy thought recently and was wondering what a Khalil Mack trade would look like?  Highly unlikely I’m sure, but his contract and age may not fit with your process (assuming you don’t get Russ or a different QB). Chargers have some cap to play with and huge need opposite Bosa. Add in Staley’s familiarity with Mack, thought it would be an ideal fit.  Thoughts? 

That works for me. Unfortunately, it would throw a crater into our salary cap, and Pace and Nagy can't risk that they'd lose even more good players because of that. They're fighting for their jobs. They shouldn't be--they should have been fired already. But you know, Bears ownership logic, and all...

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yes but no one is measuring mental processing speed as a trait.  When it seems to be a huge factor in NFL QB success.

Instead we are over emphasizing athletic prowess as prime, when Brady, P. Manning and J. Montana prove that it isn’t necessary to be greatest athlete on field.   

It is not same thing as high IQ or educational achievement.  People with average IQ can have high processing speed at something.  Though I would think more people with high intelligence would have high processing speed more so than others generally speaking.  

It is difference between a great fighter pilot (before computers) and an average one.  A great speed chess player and an average one, etc.

Red Baron, Great sword fighters, etc. were probably not intellectual geniuses, but genius of the skills of their craft - nor were they just great athletes.  

You need knowledge of skill in question to form neural pathway in your brain, but then people with greater potential can shorten that pathway to greater extent than others.  Allowing them to think faster and better than their opponent in that skill in heightened time and under pressure.  

The brain acts like a muscle.   Use it and it gets stronger and faster, don’t use it and it gets weaker.  Think about math.  You may have been good at Geometry in 10th grade, but if you tried it 20 years later without use you will struggle with a problem.  Practice and you get faster again as pathways within brain rebuild.  

Some people have greater muscle potential than others.  Some people can develop certain pathways better than others.   

Same is true of Quarterbacks.   Identify the Brian skill and potential of that skill that lets QBs excel at quickly processing alignment of DBs pre and post snap could be as important, nay more important, as arm strength and 40 time.  

They are young men with hidden potential that can be coached up to faster processing speeds.  Of course you need a minimum of athletic skill and arm talent to go with it.

I'm on the fence with this because you're going to have QBs with experience in limited "pro-style" systems that fare better than QBs from college offenses. But that doesn't mean they can handle a complete NFL offense better.

There are general skills like reaction speed and then there's specific skills. I think testing specific qualities that are less tangible can sometimes be dangerous because you don't know if you're seeing the result of practice or innate ability.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

There are general skills like reaction speed and then there's specific skills. I think testing specific qualities that are less tangible can sometimes be dangerous because you don't know if you're seeing the result of practice or innate ability.

Wouldn't either aspects be desirable, though? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

There's no way we're trading Mack.  He was just given a revised contract and trading him would cost the Bears 25M that we still owe him.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:32 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

So in order for Mac Jones to be successful, he has to be equal to Brady in mental makeup, what is the odds of that ever occurring?

Good analysis but it's not impossible for Jones to become a highly intellectual QB much like Brady.  In fact, to succeed he may have to.

11 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Pace just restructured his deal so at the moment he's not trade material.  JMHO

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Appreciate the input guys, I knew the Bears restructured Mack, wasn’t sure of the financial implications of a trade.  

It's really about the cap implications in the same vein as it is with Wilson.

Pace moved 2021 salary to a bonus that amortizes over the rest of Mack's contract.  Trade him and all of that rolls up and hits the cap now which makes it impossible to afford cap wise.

31 minutes ago, soulman said:

It's really about the cap implications in the same vein as it is with Wilson.

Pace moved 2021 salary to a bonus that amortizes over the rest of Mack's contract.  Trade him and all of that rolls up and hits the cap now which makes it impossible to afford cap wise.

Gotcha. Thanks for killing my hopes and dreams man LOL

• Like 1
9 hours ago, soulman said:

Good analysis but it's not impossible for Jones to become a highly intellectual QB much like Brady.  In fact, to succeed he may have to.

Well in past any QB who couldn't pass in pocket was garbage in NFL.   But still like 90% would fail to get good at it.     

In recent years NFL (since Chip Kelly came in league and then Andy Reid incorporated his base run game and RPOs into West Coast offense) has figured out that it can use running QBs to raise floor of their effectiveness even if they aren't great in pocket.

Baltimore went all in on College style offense or more 70/30.  They have been unique in that sense, but they have a unique talent at QB.

So now CW is you need an athletic QB.  It is required.   That certainly isn't case as Brady is still proving.   You can succeed with a QB who is strictly a pocket passer and is not a legit threat to run.   You can make a case that it should be preferred.      

But is Brady a Dinosaur?  The do-do bird?    I mean major college football no longer allows Brady's of world to win a starting job or it is rare.   Probably.    But here we are with that type of QB in Mac Jones (and no fans want him - at least not until later in draft - then they are okay with it - lol).  

Maybe if Mac had a six pack and nice pecs everyone would feel differently.

Talking heads argue that you don't need to run, but you need enough athleticism to scramble and make a improvised play.    But do you?   It's nice, but is it necessary to succeed?   Brady doesn't need to.  But Brady is outlier right?  Yeah he is, but not so long ago everyone played like that to varying degrees of success. 

When I coached middle school I would do a pass pro/pass rush drill where i stood in pocket as QB while there was a live rush.   It was competition where we would set a time and if we were above that number O line won, under D line won.

What I quickly discovered (as I never played QB in tackle football) was I could always help O line win if I wanted by making very small movements in pocket.

If O line is dedicated to recovering their block if missed (which was a good lesson taught by drill) I could make it harder on defense and allow them to recover.

It is a great drill for QBs too.   As you start to innately feel the rush.   You don't have to break the pocket and run unless everyone missed their block.   Most of time it only takes one step right or left and you have an extra .5 - 1 seconds before DL can recover his path and get to you   Much longer if OL reengages.

Moreover, once you break pocket you have cut field in half.   Smart DC's will train the rotation by scouting guys like MT and such who always break pocket and make it way harder on him.   In pocket, defenders still have to defend every blade of grass.   This is the advantage of a Brady.

Now guys like Rodgers and Mahomes are Unicorns in that they break pocket and still attack entire field.  Obviously those are guys you want, but they are very rare.   Like finding a Shaq.  Just aren't that many born.   Easier to find a Brady (if colleges would start them) - because there are more of them - they just never get proper opportunity and training.

This is where a team could thrive and create a true dynasty.  If it could develop competent pocket QB play amongst back up young players without a farm league.   

Not one team really trys to do it though unless it is with an early first round pick on an already good team with a good but aging QB.

Otherwise it is 90% mental reps.  Nearly worthless.  Maybe that will change with VR tech like someone said.  Who knows.