2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

10 hours ago, G08 said:

I look at what the 49ers just gave up to go from #12 to #3, and I'm thinking to go from #20 to #4 it would be:

2022 1st

2023 1st

at minimum.... no thanks

I don’t think it will cost that much. The climb is higher, but the pick is less valuable.

I think for sure it will be 2 1sts and 2 2nds

13 hours ago, soulman said:

The $64,000 Question; "Is it a good thing"?

No.....it's not.  Why should he trade away much of the future (again) for a rookie QB whose gonna be the 4th best QB chosen?  The pecking order seems fairly clear.

If GMcC OKs this we should all wonder just what leverage Ryan Pace has over him.

Because if he is good we are set.

If we miss we are in the same spot we have always been. Treading water.

Who knows which QB will be good. We picked the 1st one in 2017 he was the worst. The 3rd QB from last year looks like the best.

Also for Fields (and not a good thing):

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-biggest-pro-con-top-qb-prospects

"He struggled against defenses that threw blitzes and coverage rotations — specifically, Indiana in 2020 and Clemson in the 2019 College Football Playoff semifinal. Those were the only two instances where Fields saw a blitz combined with a post-snap rotation on more than 10 dropbacks in a game in his college career, and he posted a 48.5 passing grade on such plays in those outings.

On those same plays across the entirety of the 2019 and 2020 seasons, Fields ranks second-to-last among quarterbacks on this list in PFF passing grade. And against blitzes overall, Fields has the longest time to throw among FBS quarterbacks in that span (3.08 seconds)."

Edited by Epyon

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Also for Fields (and not a good thing):

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-biggest-pro-con-top-qb-prospects

"He struggled against defenses that threw blitzes and coverage rotations — specifically, Indiana in 2020 and Clemson in the 2019 College Football Playoff semifinal. Those were the only two instances where Fields saw a blitz combined with a post-snap rotation on more than 10 dropbacks in a game in his college career, and he posted a 48.5 passing grade on such plays in those outings.

On those same plays across the entirety of the 2019 and 2020 seasons, Fields ranks second-to-last among quarterbacks on this list in PFF passing grade. And against blitzes overall, Fields has the longest time to throw among FBS quarterbacks in that span (3.08 seconds)."

This is one of the main reasons he's falling in the draft. And, that's all understandable. 

It's an offshoot of opponents being scared to blitz much, though. No reason Fields can't improve when there is that sort of situation around him. 

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

This is what concerns me with regard to his processing.

With his speed (athletic, not processing) you immediately run thr BAL offense and try to develop him as a passer as you go. 2 man reads, levels concepts, RPOs, etc. 

I actually like Fields more than I expected to after seeing Lamar's success. You'll never get that precision passer like with Wilson but there's a lot of talent there. 

I'd like to pair him with Daboll. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Because if he is good we are set.

If we miss we are in the same spot we have always been. Treading water.

Who knows which QB will be good. We picked the 1st one in 2017 he was the worst. The 3rd QB from last year looks like the best.

Of all the members on this site YOU would be the very last one I'd suspect would wish for Ryan Pace to trade away a slew of draft picks to take another shot at "his QB".  😵

It's amusing.....it really is.

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

With his speed (athletic, not processing) you immediately run thr BAL offense and try to develop him as a passer as you go. 2 man reads, levels concepts, RPOs, etc. 

I actually like Fields more than I expected to after seeing Lamar's success. You'll never get that precision passer like with Wilson but there's a lot of talent there. 

Wouldn't that be the antithesis of what Nagy wants to run?

Sounds like going back to trying to make another square peg fit a round hole and potentially ending up with a sow's ear for a QB again for the price of a really costly silk purse.

Sorry brother but I don't see a fit at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Of all the members on this site YOU would be the very last one I'd suspect would wish for Ryan Pace to trade away a slew of draft picks to take another shot at "his QB".  😵

It's amusing.....it really is.

He is here. What else can we do. I am sure Nagy is more in control than Pace on this decision.

Until we have a QB we are wasting everyone’s time.

Playing this season with Dalton and a Day 3 rookie is pointless.

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

He is 10x the passer that Lamar is. 

Fields can run this offense, the fact he runs a 4.4 at 230lbs is just a bonus.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is 10x the passer that Lamar is. 

Fields can run this offense, the fact he runs a 4.4 at 230lbs is just a bonus.

Definitely, I'm saying he isn't a pro-ready passer. Arm talent is there, but he's going to have a steep learning curve to run a complicated NFL offense.

Play to his strengths and develop him over time. Don't throw him into the water like Nagy did Tru in early 2018. He'll be drowning just like Tru was.

On 4/8/2021 at 5:00 AM, soulman said:

Good analysis but it's not impossible for Jones to become a highly intellectual QB much like Brady.  In fact, to succeed he may have to.

But that's kind of the point.  You are relying on him to be like the most anomalous of all QBs maybe ever.  Brady was not a high pick for good reason.  He couldnt maintain the starting position thru a full season.  He had a middling arm and very little to no athletic ability.  Somehow he managed to increase his velocity in the NFL, something that is pretty much unheard of.  He unseated a former #1 pick, who was not only not a bust, but a perennial probowler, back when that meant something.  Thru sheer force of will he became the most successful QB ever despite his lack of physical talent.  That's what Mac Jones has to become in order to he successful.  That's not a bet you make in the first round. Idk if that's a bet you make in the 3rd round, but that's probably where I'd give it a shot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

He is here. What else can we do. I am sure Nagy is more in control than Pace on this decision.

1) Maybe but it's a true "collaboration", remember.  GMcC said so. 🤣

2) Yes

3) Probably but Goddell is probably gonna insist they do it anyway.

10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

But that's kind of the point.  You are relying on him to be like the most anomalous of all QBs maybe ever.  Brady was not a high pick for good reason.  He couldnt maintain the starting position thru a full season.  He had a middling arm and very little to no athletic ability.  Somehow he managed to increase his velocity in the NFL, something that is pretty much unheard of.  He unseated a former #1 pick, who was not only not a bust, but a perennial probowler, back when that meant something.  Thru sheer force of will he became the most successful QB ever despite his lack of physical talent.  That's what Mac Jones has to become in order to he successful.  That's not a bet you make in the first round. Idk if that's a bet you make in the 3rd round, but that's probably where I'd give it a shot.  

I simply believe Mac Jones can become an effective NFL QB and I would draft him.  Is he worth the #3 overall pick?  To me probably not but I'm not able to see it from anyone else's perspective but my own.  Either Shanahan and Lynch believe he is or they're running one hell of a bluff.

Comparing him or anyone else with Brady isn't any place I'm willing to go personally when Brady himself might be the most anomalous QB ever drafted.  I think Jones has NFL level skills and talent.  How good he become will depend on how hard he works at his craft and that's an unknown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Is it though? Might actually be the best thing for those clamoring for Pace & Nagy to get fired after This coming season.

I don't know about you but I don't see how trading the farm for an unknown rookie QB helps this team win more games in 2021 when they are dead set on Dalton being QB1

The only way I see it making sense is if Pace & Nagy were secretly afforded more time than we are are led to believe.

It will be very telling regarding their futures if they make a big move up for a QB in round 1

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Is it though? Might actually be the best thing for those clamoring for Pace & Nagy to get fired after This coming season.

I don't know about you but I don't see how trading the farm for an unknown rookie QB helps this team win more games in 2021 when they are dead set on Dalton being QB1

The only way I see it making sense is if Pace & Nagy were secretly afforded more time than we are are led to believe.

It will be very telling regarding their futures if they make a big move up for a QB in round 1

People forget there were all sorts of rumors when Nagy was hired that Pace was given an ext to line his deal up w/ Nagys.  That would put 2 years left on both of their deals.  I think depending on who's actually left at 4, will determine if they try to make a move.  If Fields is there I could definitely see it.  

• Like 1