2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

I have been trading down in mocks trying to pick up extra 2nd or more realistically 3rd rounder.   I’m not interested in guessing at 6th or 7th QB off board in first two rounds.   You can do that every other year in mid rounds and see if you can find something in practice - but you have to pay attention to them. 

QBs are almost never going to make it unless you put time and prime rep resources into them and even then less than 1/2 the time.   NFL needs to seriously rethink the whole QB development thing.   

Been targeting that Ok St. kid Teven Jenkins in late first or early 2nd after trade down.   People I respect like him, but I haven’t looked at him too much myself yet.

Also think if that Alabama C falls because of injury he would be a good pick.   I think picking top OTs and Cs is always a good bet for maintaining a good OL.

I think Ridley plays this year unless we take a WR high in draft and we dump Miller and Wims. 

I expect an UDFA or late draft WR to make team this year due to lack of depth at position.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

My issue is that Mills will fit this offense better but unless we're spending a 3rd or lower that is a wasted pick to me. I dont expect the Bears to do well this season and Nagy is cannon fodder. He may fit the offense better this year but this is a sorry excuse of a system to fit. He doesnt wow with any traits, and has mediocre athleticism. I want a QB to have at least one trait to really hang their hat on and Mills seems like hes just ok at a number of things but great at nothing. He lacks experience, any great tools, and has an injury history iirc (his film didn't do much for me so I'm admittedly light on knowledge of him). 

Just seems like the discount Trubisky. Took away athleticism and added injury concerns. I'll take a swing with him but not early.

I'm fully on the on boom or bust train for QBs, hence the willingness to go after Lance or Fields. I'd rather have a failure and reset with a high pick than stay willing 7 or 8 games. I hate this purgatory we've been stuck in. Only way we will get out of it is by getting a franchise guy. 

I guess I'm basing the Mills deal on Pace and Nagy not goin' anywhere soon unless somehow they totally blow this 2021 season.  That's just one more variable added to a half dozen or so more that have caused me to have very little interest in the Bears and in posting in general.  There's not much to say at all that isn't a repeat.

Nothing has really changed from last season so it's like watching Ground Hog Day back to back to back 'til I feel like I'm part of a Ground Hog Day movie featuring the Bears. I can't seem to generate any real excitement from any of it.  To me it's like back to the days of Mike Phipps and Bob Avellini as QBs before Mac and Ditka came along.

From my perspective if they go after Fields even if he turns out to be another Watson what kind of team will he have surrounding him?  Overall the team is aging and we'll lack the picks to replace those in decline with younger talent so even though we have the QB we remain in Purgatory because the rest of the team has declined.

The only more immediate solution I can see is Wilson now or next year.  He's as close to a sure thing as we're likely to get so if it's gonna cost a boatload of draft booty they might as well spend it on the sure thing while the rest of the team is still able to support him with what talent they have and can assemble from the drafts and 2022 FA.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Been targeting that Ok St. kid Teven Jenkins in late first or early 2nd after trade down.   People I respect like him, but I haven’t looked at him too much myself yet.

Also think if that Alabama C falls because of injury he would be a good pick.   I think picking top OTs and Cs is always a good bet for maintaining a good OL.

I think Ridley plays this year unless we take a WR high in draft and we dump Miller and Wims. 

Can't find fault with the idea of adding upgrades to the OL if nothing else.  I think it's often overlooked that one reason we made it to SBs in 1985 and 2006 is that we had a very solid OL.  The defenses may have dominated but the offenses were good enough to get us there too.

We can use more speed at WR but it won't do us any good if whose ever at QB lacks the protection to take advantage of it.  While I wish Miller would just get his head screwed on straight and show some maturity it looks more and more like he's not capable of it and Wims has peaked as a very low level WR.

Be nice to get a good QB prospect but I don't know that we're very well positioned to make it happen without sacrificing elsewhere so maybe we look at other options after the draft.  If Pace still believes he can eventually pry Wilson away from Seattle it won't make any difference this year if we do or we don't.

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Any of you guys actually live in Chicago area or you are all out of towners?

i think most people are from all over the place. i'm originally from illinois, but currently live in denver. i know there are a handful of people here that are in the denver area as well

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Any of you guys actually live in Chicago area or you are all out of towners?

Born and raised in Toledo, Ohio and still live there (kind of ---the outskirts). I moved later on in life thank god.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

11 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i think most people are from all over the place. i'm originally from illinois, but currently live in denver. i know there are a handful of people here that are in the denver area as well

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

Born in Chicago.  In Denver since 1983.

I don't know when you guys' moved from CHI town but props to both of you for not becoming bandwagon Broncos fans when it was "cool" and sticking to origins.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 12:59 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't know when you guys' moved from CHI town but props to both of you for not becoming bandwagon Broncos fans when it was "cool" and sticking to origins.

Oh hell that's not the worst of my story brother. 

My family left Chicago in 1965.  I lived in an around Green Bay 'til 1980 then Madison before moving to Denver.  The Cheeseturds couldn't make a Packer fan out of me either.

I do follow the Broncos as well but as they're AFC and the Bears are NFC there's no real conflict of interest.  If they play each other I'm still a Bears fan first and always.

That's said the McCaskey's are not making it an easy decision either.

Edited by soulman

I grew up in Rockford, IL (there are Rockfords on rivers in different places). 

I lived in Chicago for about 8 years as a young adult.  

Fun fact: just before Sosa and McGuire started their home run race you could walk over to Wrigley and buy a bleacher ticket for 5 - 10$ in 2nd inning on street.    My roommate and I used to go to Cubs games 2x a week or so back then.  

After it cost $100.00 and has never really gone down.  

I currently live in western burbs with my family.   

Rockford is near border with WI so it is mostly split between Bears and Packers fans.   I have a lot of family that are Packers fans and a lot that are Cowboys fans for some reason.

• Like 1

There's a guy on Twitter @QBKlass who is well known for his analysis of NFL QB prospects at this time of year.

His track record is pretty good when determining which QBs are likely to have success in the NFL.  He also was low on Trubisky when he was coming out FWIW.

Anyway long story short, he has Justin Fields as one of the better and more accurate passers in this draft class.  His next best in terms of overall accuracy (not overall ranking) are Mac Jones, Zach Wilson and Trevor Lawrence.

Looking at the analysis, the numbers don't look so good for guys like Mond & Mills, which makes sense that they are Day 2 prospects.

Anyway I just wanted to make the point that if Fields falls outside the top-8/9 then Bears should absolutely be all over that

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

About 2 hours north of Grand Forks, but please do not lop us in with those hill billys. It looks a lot like Iowa mixed with Minnesota, farm land and lakes, and the closest American city I have been to that I can compare it to is Milwaukee.

• Like 2

Like Windy I'm also Canadian and I call both Ottawa and Toronto home

Don't ask me how I became such a big Bears fanatic

I think it may have been when I was younger I thought that the Bears "C" logo with the Bear coming out of the middle was really cool and I guess it just took off after that