2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I grew up in Rockford, IL (there are Rockfords on rivers in different places). 

I lived in Chicago for about 8 years as a young adult.  

Fun fact: just before Sosa and McGuire started their home run race you could walk over to Wrigley and buy a bleacher ticket for 5 - 10$ in 2nd inning on street.    My roommate and I used to go to Cubs games 2x a week or so back then.  

After it cost $100.00 and has never really gone down.  

I currently live in western burbs with my family.   

Rockford is near border with WI so it is mostly split between Bears and Packers fans.   I have a lot of family that are Packers fans and a lot that are Cowboys fans for some reason.

I have a pet theory that any time you get into a rural area the chance of significant Cowboy fandom goes way up. It's bizarre.  I know Cowboy fans in: Maine, Vermont, Nevada, California, Wisconsin (WTF??), Florida, and even a bunch in Illinois. Also I once had a guy working at a ski rental place in Taos NM absolutely try and fight me over a Bears hat... His boss was super apologetic but also explained that the guy was a big Cowboys fan like that explained everything. 

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Also I live in Albany Park (which is in Chicago)

Basically became a Bears fan because I remember the insanity around the 85 Bears and just thought it was normal.  Eventually I ended up in a job which left me essentially free in fall and winter, and I liked having an excuse to grill and drink early in the day. 

What job allows so much freedom!?

16 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Why aren’t you a Browns or Bengals fan?

Dude, the state doesn't mean anything to us here in Toledo when it comes to the NFL lol. Or pretty much anything else. Even College ball for that matter because you'll see almost an even amount of Wolverine and Buckeye fans, and that rivalry runs VERY deep here. If you're ever looking for an entertaining time that MAY end violent then go to any bar here in Toledo whenever they're playing Michigan.  Passionate fans + Deep rival + Unstable drunks = does not usually end well.

Toledo is one of the biggest melting pots that you will ever see when it comes to NFL fans.  You'll find fans of just about every team in the league here.  I have friends and family who are; Bears fans, Pitt fans, Cowboys, Bills, Saints, Packers, Colts, Browns, Lions, Titans, Philly, and even Niners fans.  

Not really sure why that is but I think it has alot to do with the geographic location.  We're a 15-minute drive away from the Michigan border, an hour from the Indy border, 45 minutes away from Detroit, 2 hours from Cleveland, and 3-4 hours away from Cincy, Pitt, Chicago, and Indy.  So we're relatively close to alot of teams in every direction.  We can't be Lions fans (unless you're a Spartan or Wolverine fan) because it's in our blood to hate Michigan so that rules them out for alot of us.

I personally picked all of my favorite sports teams in an odd way.  It was solely based on the first games I watched in each sport and I don't mean when I was 2 or 3 or whatever....I mean when I fully understood what I was watching.  The first NFL game I watched was the Bears/Raiders(IIRC) and the Bears lost but I just liked how the defense looked because it matched exactly with what I had imagined a sport like football to be (aggressive, brutal, hard hitting).

I have a pretty large family and they're all mainly Detroit, Dallas and Pitt fans (because I also have family in PA and MI) but I wanted to be different so those teams were the only exceptions to the rule. And I get crap for it ALL the time.

You also have to understand that back then there was no way to watch every team in the league like it is now so you were stuck with whoever was playing on your local stations. Or which ever channel your antenna could pick up on based on the very precise positioning you had it facing at the time lol. One inch off the vase you had it hanging too could lose you 2 or 3 channels at any given time lol.

Same with the NBA and baseball (when I used to watch it before the Bonds/McGuire(sp) steroid scandal). Became a Magic (and Braves fan) when I first started watching both because I just happened to be living in Cleveland, Tennesee for a short time when the Magic first debuted and they were on TV and the rest is history.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

.  The first NFL game I watched was the Bears/Raiders(IIRC) and the Bears lost but I just liked how the defense looked because it matched exactly with what I had imagined a sport like football to be (aggressive, brutal, hard hitting).

That's so painfully Bears right there... Tough as nails defense, something something run game: I'm hooked! Also, they lost.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Anyway I just wanted to make the point that if Fields falls outside the top-8/9 then Bears should absolutely be all over that

Man, I just don't see that as being likely at all.  Now half the guru's are calling him for SF instead of Jones.  If put those two as the Nos #3 and #4 guys in whichever order I can't see either falling that far.  Too many teams in need of passers.

Rumors and more rumors are all I can see but two that seem to be repeated are OT (Jenkins?) or CB (Newsome?) at #20.  I guess either might make sense.  The 2nd round could be damn near anyone depending on which way they go in one.

• Like 1