2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

Just chatting with a contractor today and he brought up the Bears... All I could really say was "Yeah, and now we also need a cornerback"

I think drafting 20th might be the saddest draft position. You didn't have any fun in the playoffs, but also you're not getting a top talent without a lot of luck. 

Perhaps it's because I'm a moron, but I really feel like the Bears trading everything to get Wilson or Watson is still on the table. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 12:46 PM, abstract_thought said:

I don't think it's realistic for the Bears to get into the top 10.

I am interested in the scenario laid out in this mock draft where the Bears trade up for Mac Jones. Would you all give up a 2022 1st and this year's 3rd for him?

I was thinking trade our 1/3 and next year’s 1 to get to 10 (Dallas) for any of Jones/Fields/Lance that may still be there. I’d pay that. It’s an overpay by the value chart but I think that’s what it’d take.

Assuming 4 QBs, Sewell, Chase, Pitts, probably DeVonta and either Slater and/or Waddle go in the first 9, Dallas is literally looking at the entire board of defensive players at 10. For them to go from 10 to 20 would mean missing on Surtain and Horn, maybe all of Phillips, JOK, Farley, Paye and Ojulari, and likely Darrisaw and AVT too if they’re looking at OL. That’s a BIG drop down in talent, so we’d need to make it well worth their while especially since others likely also would be looking to get to that spot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It turned out that Goldman was the bigger loss, really. Surprising as heck. 

Hicks is better player, but Goldman plays run really well and doesn't get moved off his spot.  That is crucial for ILBs.

It means OL can't climb or push DL into their way.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was thinking trade our 1/3 and next year’s 1 to get to 10 (Dallas) for any of Jones/Fields/Lance that may still be there. I’d pay that. It’s an overpay by the value chart but I think that’s what it’d take.

Assuming 4 QBs, Sewell, Chase, Pitts, probably DeVonta and either Slater and/or Waddle go in the first 9, Dallas is literally looking at the entire board of defensive players at 10. For them to go from 10 to 20 would mean missing on Surtain and Horn, maybe all of Phillips, JOK, Farley, Paye and Ojulari, and likely Darrisaw and AVT too if they’re looking at OL. That’s a BIG drop down in talent, so we’d need to make it well worth their while especially since others likely also would be looking to get to that spot. 

It seems like by pick 10 you'll be looking at the 4th or 5th QB off the board. I guess my worry is whether that QB is good enough to merit the extra picks, especially if he doesn't contribute immediately and the 2022 1st turns into a top 15 pick.

I don't know much about this year's prospects, but I've heard that Mac Jones doesn't really have a standout skillset. That makes me hesitant about giving up future picks for him. The Bears need those picks to rebuild the team.

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

It seems like by pick 10 you'll be looking at the 4th or 5th QB off the board. I guess my worry is whether that QB is good enough to merit the extra picks, especially if he doesn't contribute immediately and the 2022 1st turns into a top 15 pick.

I don't know much about this year's prospects, but I've heard that Mac Jones doesn't really have a standout skillset. That makes me hesitant about giving up future picks for him. The Bears need those picks to rebuild the team.

I’m really high on Fields, Jones and Lance (in that order) and would give up a future 1 to get any of them because I think all 3 will be 10+ year starters in the top half of the league with a peak potential in the top 8. The question really is, how good does a QB have to be for you to think it’s worth paying 2 firsts for them? If you move up to 10 and get Jones, is Kirk Cousins statistically enough to justify it? Derek Carr? Higher? To me that standard comes down to what cost you’d pay to get that comp player. If you’d be willing to pay 2 firsts for Carr and you think Jones will be that good or better (I do) then make the deal, and if you don’t, then don’t. The cost only hurts you in terms of team building if you miss on the pick. If you pay 2 firsts but get a 15-year top 10 QB you don’t care. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m really high on Fields, Jones and Lance (in that order) and would give up a future 1 to get any of them because I think all 3 will be 10+ year starters in the top half of the league with a peak potential in the top 8. The question really is, how good does a QB have to be for you to think it’s worth paying 2 firsts for them? If you move up to 10 and get Jones, is Kirk Cousins statistically enough to justify it? Derek Carr? Higher? To me that standard comes down to what cost you’d pay to get that comp player. If you’d be willing to pay 2 firsts for Carr and you think Jones will be that good or better (I do) then make the deal, and if you don’t, then don’t. The cost only hurts you in terms of team building if you miss on the pick. If you pay 2 firsts but get a 15-year top 10 QB you don’t care. 

The cost absolutely hurts you in team-building. The modern formula is to win during your QB's rookie contract. Trading future picks hurts you in the near short-term.

Ending up with a Carr-level QB in this case isn't a good outcome. He's good enough to warrant a 2nd contract but not good enough to win without a great supporting cast. Having an elite QB is worth paying for. Having an above-average QB is only good if he's on a rookie contract and you preserve your assets to build a great team around him.

19 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Lots of buzz about Jones going #3

Coming from Chris Simms who is buddies with Shanahan.   He claims no inside knowledge though.

Just going off how he thinks Shanahan thinks.  

I know 49ers forum does not want Jones.  

I think a lot of subconscious bias against Jones, including me, because he doesn’t even look like he works out.

He looks like a normal Joe.  I also have bias because he played with every advantage.  

Maybe I should take a close look at him.