2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You think 1 of those 3 guys will be "good starting QB's for a long time?"

Every year, fans of every team think they can find a good starter in round 2-7 and it rarely ever happens. For every Dak or Brady there are dozens of scrubs. 

The Bears need to take a QB in the first 3 rounds but the odds of that player being good are slim to none.

Why don't we wait and see what happens on draft night and for the next year or two before we make that call?

For all we know they could trade up to take Fields at 4 and he will be a really good QB in a year or two

Also for every Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck there are dozens of JaMarcus Russells, Jameis Winstons, Marcus Mariotas and Mitch Trubiskys

Picking 1, 2 or even top-5 doesn't exactly guarantee you a good QB

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he was as well.  Pace thinks we;re in win now mode.  I think our offense is in rebuild mode.  Dalton is serviceable for this year.  Moving up for anyone would really tick me off with all our needs.  We're not a couple pieces away, we're several.  If we keep our eight picks, we can get a couple quality starters(hopefully more) and some good depth.  Pace thinks eight picks is way too much and would likely trade up, even giving up future picks like he's done for 4 straight years.  I hope Pace keeps his cool and draft the best offensive player at 20(unless we trade back)  But Pace has been secretive about trades.  No one knew he was trading up for Trubisky until an hour before the draft in 2017.  No one knew about the Mack trade until it happened.  I hope we keep our picks, but with Pace who knows.

Amen, amen, amen.....👍

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Picking 1, 2 or even top-5 doesn't exactly guarantee you a good QB

The list of successful NFL QBs taken after the top 5 and even after round one overwhelms those taken in the top 5.  The top 5 picks are always gonna be the riskiest picks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soulman said:

The list of successful NFL QBs taken after the top 5 and even after round one overwhelms those taken in the top 5.  The top 5 picks are always gonna be the riskiest picks.

Being in the top 5 simply means you get greater choice of QBs.

There are more options on the table. Of course teams screw it up and take Mitch over Mahomes, but if you weren’t picking 2 you would have not had the option.

The further back you are the more teams can interfere with your plan. It took 23 teams being idiots for the Packers to land Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Being in the top 5 simply means you get greater choice of QBs.

There are more options on the table. Of course teams screw it up and take Mitch over Mahomes, but if you weren’t picking 2 you would have not had the option.

The further back you are the more teams can interfere with your plan. It took 23 teams being idiots for the Packers to land Aaron Rodgers.

All I'm saying is there are good QB prospects to be had beyond the top five and round one.  Even current NFL rosters are littered with them.  That's enough to say to me that the chances of the success or failure of your choice are not necessarily based on that players draft status.

Of course the odds of getting any specific player no matter what position decreases as picks are made before you.  That's just raw mathematics.   And yeah, teams screw up picks all the time and better picks fall into some teams laps as Rodgers did with GB and Eddie Jackson did for us.

My approach to just about anything is to seek value.  With as many teams searching for QBs as there are this year teams seem willing to pay a premium in picks to get at one.  So to me that doesn't add up to getting good value if like Pace you'd need to trade up a lot to get a shot at top ranked one.

This would be where I'd let the others get in a bidding war over those few prime QB picks and take a CB, OT or WR who falls in my lap when he should have gone 5-10 picks earlier and I do it in round two as well unless that's where my "Goldilocks" QB can be had.  If not I keep adding better talent.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Mac doesn’t look part and doesn’t have a cannon, but you have to admit he throws a nice, catchable ball with accuracy and a tight spiral.  

Watch A&M game.   

The best skill he could possible bring to this team is having learned his game playing for a winning college football machine and the hope he will bring that with him.  I'll take a smart QB capable of engineering wins on his own any day.

So one question about Mac Jones could be is he that kind of QB or did he simply look better than he is because of where he played and the tools he had to work with?  I don't claim to know but it seems to me he has the basics down.

Jim McMahon didn't have the strongest arm in the NFL but was accurate enough often enough to keep teams honest and from staying too focused on stopping Payton.  NE tried that in the SB and he and Willie Gault made them pay for it.

I'd me very happy with another  QB like "the punky QB"  who knew how to win.  But Dear Santa please bring me one with a better and more extended warranty than Mac had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

All I'm saying is there are good QB prospects to be had beyond the top five and round one.  Even current NFL rosters are littered with them.  That's enough to say to me that the chances of the success or failure of your choice are not necessarily based on that players draft status.

Of course the odds of getting any specific player no matter what position decreases as picks are made before you.  That's just raw mathematics.   And yeah, teams screw up picks all the time and better picks fall into some teams laps as Rodgers did with GB and Eddie Jackson did for us.

My approach to just about anything is to seek value.  With as many teams searching for QBs as there are this year teams seem willing to pay a premium in picks to get at one.  So to me that doesn't add up to getting good value if like Pace you'd need to trade up a lot to get a shot at top ranked one.

This would be where I'd let the others get in a bidding war over those few prime QB picks and take a CB, OT or WR who falls in my lap when he should have gone 5-10 picks earlier and I do it in round two as well unless that's where my "Goldilocks" QB can be had.  If not I keep adding better talent.

I think the counter argument is that all those teams are trying to get the top QBs because they know that without one it doesn't really matter how good their roster is.

The Bears can add value up and down the roster, the QB is still Andy Dalton, and that is why the season will end.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the counter argument is that all those teams are trying to get the top QBs because they know that without one it doesn't really matter how good their roster is.

The Bears can add value up and down the roster, the QB is still Andy Dalton, and that is why the season will end.

And if it does it does but we will have filled key positions that need talent upgrades and we can hope to be in a better position to draft a top passer next year or we complete a trade for Wilson.

Adding a top 5 QB won't impact the 2021 season either and by keeping the picks and adding more talent around Dalton we may improve by a game or two which IMHO is really what Pace and Nagy should be shooting for.

Pace blew his shot when he did have a top 5 pick to make on a QB and if he's not careful he could repeat his mistake again only at an even higher cost. If he makes that move he'd better be damn sure he got a guy who can finish this time.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

And if it does it does but we will have filled key positions that need talent upgrades and we can hope to be in a better position to draft a top passer next year or we complete a trade for Wilson.

Adding a top 5 QB won't impact the 2021 season either and by keeping the picks and adding more talent around Dalton we may improve by a game or two which IMHO is really what Pace and Nagy should be shooting for.

Pace blew his shot when he did have a top 5 pick to make on a QB and if he's not careful he could repeat his mistake again only at an even higher cost. If he makes that move he'd better be damn sure he got a guy who can finish this time.

If we improve the team, win a couple more games, we will be even further from being able to land a top QB. Our picks will be worse for both the drafting of a QB or a Wilson trade.

I think adding a top 5 QB could absolutely have an impact on 2021. Herbert and Burrow both stepped in and played well above the Dalton line.

It also adds something to sell for the future. Winning 8 games with Andy Dalton is a wet fart of a season. Winning 8 games with Justin Fields or Trey Lance coming in and playing decent, that gets people excited for 2022.

• Like 1

Windy, you and I aren't gonna agree on this so why keep making an effort?

Pace will do what Pace will do.  I'm only offering an opinion on how I might approach this draft but to be honest I'm so phuc'n apathetic about it all I really don't care what they do.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is a long shot. But it is better than the 0% chance Andy Dalton does anything.

We are in low probability Hail Mary territory. Pace’s incompetent has pretty much left us with1 bullet in the chamber.

Andy Dalton is going to do something. 

If he gets all offseason reps he is going to win 9  games and have you drafting in 20s again with no hope of getting next Joe Burrow or Zach Wilson that no one is talking about right now and will suddenly appear.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Trey Lance 2nd Pro Day Today

Bears and Washington are not going to attend.

Not sure if that is something to be read into or not.

Ideally it would mean he's not on our board because he's too much of a project. 

That said knowing Pace it means he's trying to play some 5d chess and make other teams think he's not interested, but the pick is absolutely Lance on a massive trade up to #1 overall. 

Now we just need to know what kind of car he drives..... If it's an awful car, we'll know for sure. 

• Like 2