Read an interesting piece this AM that I won't bother to re-post since it's just another "one man's opinion" piece but I did find his reasoning to be sound.  He ranks the Bears needs as follows.  I'll briefly give his logic for each one.

1) CB - Having released Kyle Fuller the Bears lack a true shut down corner.  Marcus Trufant hasn't been an effective CB for nearly 5 years and others like Burns who failed in Pittsburgh, and Roberson who has only CFL experience are a far cry from replacing a CB of Fuller's ability.  Can't say that I disagree and a top CB will be available at #20.

2) OT - They obviously have plans to play Ifedi at RT again and Leno will hold down LT but is in the final year of his contract.  Due to the depth of the position in this draft and having the starting spots covered an OT could easily be a 2nd or 3rd round pick with Castillo entrusted to coach him into a starters role in 2022.  So a round 2 or 3 pick.

3) Slot WR - Miller is on the trading block and Goodwin is not a slot guy.  Like Mooney he's a "Z" type guy with blazing speed and your deep target and/or decoy.  So it's either draft a "Y" type or hold onto Miller hoping he finally matures.  But he's another guy in the final year of his deal which makes him trade bait.  Fortunately slot types can be found in most any round so like Mooney strike when the value is too good to pass on.

4) QB - The need is there but the opportunity to get a top talent is not.  Pace has invested in two quality vets who won't embarrass him but won't win a championship for him either.  But Dalton could do just enough to ensure the jobs of Pace and Nagy for a bit longer while they work to develop the 2nd tier QB they draft in round 2 or 3 where both the cost and the risk is lessened.  This fits my thinking as well.

What I'll sum up with is the thought that Pace is not finished with his plan to obtain Russell Wilson in 2022 if not sooner.  If he truly believes he can pull this off then drafting a rookie later makes sense. 

He can sit while learning behind Dalton and Foles in 2021 and becomes an understudy to Wilson thereafter hopefully gaining ground each year much like Aaron Rodgers was able to do and either replace Wilson should be become to costly to keep or continue to work as a premium #2 until his day comes.....if ever.

This approach doesn't get us a top rated rookie this year but it does fill gaping holes in the roster hopefully making it easier both now and in the future for any Bears QB to succeed. It also preserves future picks for a potential trade for Wilson or to trade up for a QB in 2022 when there may be fewer buyers in front of us also desperate for a QB.

Thinking on this it would be hard not to see how filling the CB and OT gaps now would make sense and avoid having to "buy" more costly help in FA.  Plus we continue to add speed at WR which plays into the schemes Nagy wants to run and we actually have two QBs who've shown more ability to complete deeper passes than Mitch was able to.

I wouldn't be unhappy if it broke this way.

Edited by soulman

Poll driven mock draft for Bears.  This is a good draft.

British dude on PFF threw out a idea that scouting dept. could just be for checking background and attitude for high risk.    And then just drafting consensus pick at your slot.   Actually has a higher hit rate.

I pointed out that if Bears had drafted guys this board wanted over years they would have a much better team. 

Might be something to group think drafting.  No one will ever do it though.  Egos are way too big.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Poll driven mock draft for Bears.  This is a good draft.

British dude on PFF threw out a idea that scouting dept. could just be for checking background and attitude for high risk.    And then just drafting consensus pick at your slot.   Actually has a higher hit rate.

I pointed out that if Bears had drafted guys this board wanted over years they would have a much better team. 

Might be something to group think drafting.  No one will ever do it though.  Egos are way too big.

That would be a solid draft.

I do not think it moves the needle much for 2021, but it would add some talented players for the next regime to work around.