2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We should be trying to upgrade Leno. He is a guy who can hold a spot while you search for an upgrade.

The issue is we never look for an upgrade.

For sure. I don't think he'll be back after this season, regardless. 

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Rapoport and Albright say SF is down to Lance or Jones at #3

I still won't believe it til I see it Thursday night.

I may very well be wrong a few years from now but it's very asinine that SF will pass on Fields for either of those guys

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah I mean if you want to consider that person an "analyst."

I've never seen a credible person say Brown is bad

I am defining analyst has relatively prominent NFL media folks with a fairly decent audience on web or elsewhere.  

“I saw Brown was ranked something like 25th last season amongst all tackles according to PFF and that was playing RT” - that was comment I was replying to generally.  

PFF says it.   I have heard many PFF podcasts.  Their view has been Brown is a product of Jackson and Ravens offense.

Pre-draft Brown had amazing college tape and everyone bandwagon bashed him anyway because of poor workout at combine.   No one talked about his tape.  Only Mayfield stepped up and said you guys are sleeping on this guy.     

On Leno, virtually no one outside a forum pounds table for him to be replaced.      

Almost every Bears media mock draft with 8 or more people drafting takes a WR for Bears if they can’t trade up for QB.   They don’t even sniff the O line in first.  

Everyone complains about O line in season in general and no one addresses it (outside forums), even in pretend, in offseason.   

Leno is a major reason O line is bad in recent years.   He was decent to even good earlier in his career.   He mostly stinks last 2 years.

Long was awesome early in his career and he stunk later in his career and virtually no one would call it out.   Because he was good before?   I went to one practice and was flabbergasted he was starting.  Not even coaches saw it.  He was terrible.  WTH?    

I don’t know what some people are watching when they watch film.  They don’t watch the o line I guess.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I still won't believe it til I see it Thursday night.

I may very well be wrong a few years from now but it's very asinine that SF will pass on Fields for either of those guys

I think Fields is the far better talent and athlete, but Jones has definitely won me over as a pure QB.  

I am incredibly intrigued by how he will do at next level not being new school running/scrambling QB from jump.   That ability provides a higher floor for a lot of guys to make plays where their brain cannot yet.  And it makes things easier for them by keeping LBs closer to line of scrimmage. 

I think Lance is a lottery ticket pick- just not enough info other than a ton of raw talent.  

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think Fields is the far better talent and athlete, but Jones has definitely won me over as a pure QB.  

I am incredibly intrigued by how he will do at next level not being new school running/scrambling QB from jump.   That ability provides a higher floor for a lot of guys to make plays where their brain cannot yet.  And it makes things easier for them by keeping LBs closer to line of scrimmage. 

I think Lance is a lottery ticket pick- just not enough info other than a ton of raw talent.  

I think Jones would be a fine fit for this offense, but I'm also just so sick of the Bears having a middling offense that I don't just want a good fit, I want the Bears to finally hit a home run. I think Lance is the longshot highest ceiling guy.  I'm also an idiot when it comes to football so will turn down the GM job if offered out of love of the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think Jones would be a fine fit for this offense, but I'm also just so sick of the Bears having a middling offense that I don't just want a good fit, I want the Bears to finally hit a home run. I think Lance is the longshot highest ceiling guy.  I'm also an idiot when it comes to football so will turn down the GM job if offered out of love of the team. 

QB position is just so unique.  I mean Tom Brady is probably worst athlete in league and is GOAT.

If Mac throws the football like he did in college he has highest ceiling of all because no one else did it like him in 2020 not even Lawrence.   He looked like Burrow throwing in 2019, but he didn't get same hype or praise in media.  And Burrow is a better athlete.  

There is that jump in competition that is hard to measure or project and the sample size is not large.

I remember reading this football book in 90s by some guy who said anyone who thinks Montana is better than Young is stupid and doesn't know football.

Well Bill Walsh felt that way for a number of years.   I guess he is stupid.

Young was way better athlete, better arm, probably smarter.   But Montana was better QB until he lost some of his arm strength later in career and they shipped him out for Young.

Ideally everyone wants a Mahomes, Young, Elway, Rodgers, an Allen or a Wilson.  A guy who can run, scramble or throw all in one.  

But the Brady's, Marino's, Aikman's, Montana's and Manning's of world aren't so bad either if you can find one.   

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

QB position is just so unique.  I mean Tom Brady is probably worst athlete in league and is GOAT.

If Mac throws the football like he did in college he has highest ceiling of all because no one else did it like him in 2020 not even Lawrence.   He looked like Burrow throwing in 2019, but he didn't get same hype or praise in media.  And Burrow is a better athlete.  

There is that jump in competition that is hard to measure or project and the sample size is not large.

He does throw a great ball, and his coverage recognition and decision making seem great, but the concerns about him are valid. The only way he's going to be great is if he's as good as the best QB of all time, I wouldn't want to count on that. I think he's going to get murdered unless he has a very good to great OL, and even then he's limited.  Happy to be wrong as I always do like the odd ducks, but using Brady as an example of what he could be is not entirely fair to him, as Brady is about as outlier as you can get.  Funny thought though, if Jones goes to NE, and Bellichick coaches him up and they have a lot of success, can you imagine the never-ending circular arguments about who was responsible for the great Patriots dynasty teams? It's even more annoying if you piocture it with a strong south Boston accent. 

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

He does throw a great ball, and his coverage recognition and decision making seem great, but the concerns about him are valid. The only way he's going to be great is if he's as good as the best QB of all time, I wouldn't want to count on that. I think he's going to get murdered unless he has a very good to great OL, and even then he's limited.  Happy to be wrong as I always do like the odd ducks, but using Brady as an example of what he could be is not entirely fair to him, as Brady is about as outlier as you can get.  Funny thought though, if Jones goes to NE, and Bellichick coaches him up and they have a lot of success, can you imagine the never-ending circular arguments about who was responsible for the great Patriots dynasty teams? It's even more annoying if you piocture it with a strong south Boston accent. 

He doesn't have to be Brady.   There is a long list of dudes who couldn't run that were very good, even great QBs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Point is the position doesn't require exceptional or world class athletic ability.

Every other position outside of kicker and perhaps O line does.  

I guess we'll see soon!  He's about as un-athletic a QB prospect as we've seen in the last couple years to (likely) go that high.  I hope he gets a good team fit and can break the stereotype that you need a mobile QB to win, which seems stronger every year.  

It's funny how so much thinking about the Bears this year revolves around the Pace and Nagy contracts.  If I were Nagy and having 1 year left, Jones would be the guy I'd be after, would probably be circling his name on big boards and leaving them where Pace would see it... if I was Nagy, and had a secret 3 year extension locked in a safe, I'd be hoping for one of the big upside guys like Fields or Lance.

32 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I guess we'll see soon!  He's about as un-athletic a QB prospect as we've seen in the last couple years to (likely) go that high.  I hope he gets a good team fit and can break the stereotype that you need a mobile QB to win, which seems stronger every year.  

It's funny how so much thinking about the Bears this year revolves around the Pace and Nagy contracts.  If I were Nagy and having 1 year left, Jones would be the guy I'd be after, would probably be circling his name on big boards and leaving them where Pace would see it... if I was Nagy, and had a secret 3 year extension locked in a safe, I'd be hoping for one of the big upside guys like Fields or Lance.

It's probably moot since Bears are unlikely to get Jones or Fields.  1 will go in top 3 and Bears have to beat out several other teams for other.

38 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

He is as athletic as Sam Darnold.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is as athletic as Sam Darnold.

Dunno how athletic that is to be honest, but I feel like he's smart enough to know he's not going to escape the pocket a lot, and therefore takes a lot of nasty hits.  I feel like there's "hanging in under pressure" and "knowing you can't get away"