2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

Just now, WindyCity said:

What a shot in the arm for the offense.  Finally, the investment to match the expectations.

The thing that impresses me the most is this...

All Under 25 years Old...

Fields

Montgomery

Cohen

Mooney

Kmet

Jenkins

Daniel

Under 28 Years Old...

Robinson

Whitehair

Ifedi

That is a core of guys and now we will have the cap space next season and more importantly the future at QB to convince the likes of Robinson and Daniel to re-up and stay here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Arians usually likes QB's with strong arms

I think the arm strength argument on Trask was overblown (like most QBs) BA wants big QBs who can stand tall in the pocket and throw the ball deep...as much as Trask can't drive the ball like Fields or Lawrence he does have nice touch on his deep ball...Mond is terrible throwing deep...Mills looks pretty solid but the tape is so limited that I doubt an experienced coach like BA who is clearly in out and out win now mode wants that risk...out of the three Trask makes the most sense...

Going back to the argument of win now Trask isn't the best development option (Mills IMO) but he is the guy who if Brady goes down for 2-3 weeks gives them the best chance of winning right now.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I can't believe Trask was the first guy drafted from the second QB tier...

He by far was the most accurate of them so I can, and Trask played with an OL that gave up a ton of pressure while there was zero run game to lean on. He was solid with that and moves well in the pocket, so he doesn't have to have a clean pocket to make accurate throws. 

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Arians usually likes QB's with strong arms

Winston had a hell of an arm and sucked for him,  I think he learned smart decision makers can pick when to be aggressive and when to take the easy small chunk play.  That let's him dial up his own super aggressive schemes with less headaches.

Plus you watch his throws from 2019 and 2020 and his arm seemed stronger because he got to work on using his legs more. Arians can probably further help him, though he'll obviously never have the strong arm Arians has had for the bulk of his coaching career. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Going back to the argument of win now Trask isn't the best development option (Mills IMO) but he is the guy who if Brady goes down for 2-3 weeks gives them the best chance of winning right now.

Yeah, I can see your point. They were looking more for an immediate backup rather than a potential, down-the-road starter. 

Trask is really good, and very polished. 

• Like 1

Pat Finlay has really upped his twitter game...lots of interesting stuff on there...Fields & Borom worked out together in prep for the draft...DL coach Chris Rumph coached Khalil Herbert in high school...Jaylon Johnson & Thomas Graham have been friends since high school...he seems to have done his homework.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Pat Finlay has really upped his twitter game...lots of interesting stuff on there...Fields & Borom worked out together in prep for the bdraft...DL coach Chris Rumph coached Khalil Herbert in high school...Jaylon Johnson & Thomas Graham have been friends since high school...he seems to have done his homework.

I used to dislike him (Finley)  but feel like he's definitely improved his game in the last couple years. Their podcast was baaaad. 

Well guys,  this draft has surely changed a lot of things, but none more personal to me than this:  I am officially hanging up my "suggest Josh Rosen at opportune times" BS.  Sorry Josh, it's over. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Well guys,  this draft has surely changed a lot of things, but none more personal to me than this:  I am officially hanging up my "suggest Josh Rosen at opportune times" BS.  Sorry Josh, it's over. 

Oh, come on, now!

The dream will never die!!!

On 5/1/2021 at 10:38 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

Flo was considered the best or 2nd best edge in that draft, and here's the truth about Flo, Flo is GREAT at everything except sacking the QB.  JAF has put up the #s before but his pass rush win rate was stupid for a guy who couldnt buy double digit sack seasons.  Honestly what the Bears should have done last year was keep Flo and move him inside next to Roquan.  Let Trevathan go and you have a pair of uber athletic ILBs who attack the football on every down.  That was not a miss by Pace that was on the coaching staff for just not figuring out the right way to use him.  

Shaheen is the one everyone loves to point to, but who would be the choice in hindsight?  Obviously George Kittle, who is who I wanted in that spot.  The issue there is Kittle didnt go for 3 more rounds.  I understand the thought process with Shaheen.  Hes a 1%er.  You hope you can tap that size and athleticism and make him a force, it didnt happen, but the pick makes lots of sense...except Kittle was there, who was also a 1%er and played at THE TE factory of the last decade or so.  Who is the last Iowa TE who couldnt play?  Yeah as a Besrs and Hawkeye fan, I'm still salty over not taking the guy who grew up a Bears fan and oh btw became the bestbdamn TE in the league.  

The truth is Pace has been one of the best drafters in the league since he got here but he missed on his first swing at QB, and until now was the only swing he took.  People want to hold the misses up and point to those as evidence of his drafting badly, but dont look at his hits and how this team is mostly home grown with his picks

The whole false narrative that Pace being terrible at drafting has been a joke.

I've spent the last 2 years trying to get this thru peoples head while backing it up with facts but some people just refused to hear it.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 10:32 AM, Madmike90 said:

Pat Finlay has really upped his twitter game...lots of interesting stuff on there...Fields & Borom worked out together in prep for the draft...DL coach Chris Rumph coached Khalil Herbert in high school...Jaylon Johnson & Thomas Graham have been friends since high school...he seems to have done his homework.

These kind of in depth personal evaluations are how you can find top talent even in the 3rd day of the draft.  What I was most please to see is that Pace focused on players with higher floors who may contribute much sooner than some of his previous "flyers".