Most likely individual records to be broken in year 1 of the 17-game schedule?

Apparition

which ones go down first?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. which ones go down first?

• Passing Yards (5477, Peyton Manning)
    • Passing TDs (55, Peyton Manning)
    • Rushing Yards (2105, Eric Dickerson)
    • Receptions (149, Michael Thomas)
    • Receiving Yards (1964, Calvin Johnson)
    • Receiving TDs (23, Randy Moss)
    • Total TDs (31, LaDainian Tomlinson)
    • Yards From Scrimmage (2509, Chris Johnson)
    • Sacks (22.5, Michael Strahan)

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'd say it would probably the record for the greatest number of consecutive regular season starts during one season.  I predict that, not only will it be broken, but it will be broken by numerous players this year!  :D 

Seriously though, I'd probably have to go with passing yards.  It is an advantage for offenses if the stadiums are still not completely full and everyone on offense can hear their QB's calls under center.

Players have played 17 games in a season a number of times

It's plausible that someone will get 18 in the regular season, which would be a record, but certainly not the way you are thinking that 17 is enough to break records

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I agree. I tried to look beyond this one and went with yards from scrimmage, as a healthy CMC, Barkley, Kamara, etc are all guys capable of possibly doing it imo. 

I kind of want to see Kamara hit 1,700 yards in a 16-game stretch before I see anyone predict that he'll get 2,510 in 17 games.

• Now, we've seen McCaffrey hit nearly 2,400 yards in a 16-game season. So he's certainly capable.
  • We've seen Barkley hit 2,028 yards on a bad team in a 16-game season, so it's plausible.
  • We've seen King Henry hit 2,141 yards in 16 games. 
  • Kamara has never reached 1,700 yards in a season. We've seen Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb, Dalvin Cook, Todd Gurley, Ezekiel Elliott, Michael Thomas, LeVeon Bell, and Kareem Hunt all do it since Kamara has entered the league. But he hasn't.

I think that for yards from scrimmage, you have CMC, Henry, Barkley, Chubb, and Cook all with a shot to hit 2,500 scrimmage yards, in that order, but it'll be unlikely.

I think rushing yards or passing yards are the most likely, though I feel like receiving yards is also a possibility.

6 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

I kind of want to see Kamara hit 1,700 yards in a 16-game stretch before I see anyone predict that he'll get 2,510 in 17 games.

• Now, we've seen McCaffrey hit nearly 2,400 yards in a 16-game season. So he's certainly capable.
  • We've seen Barkley hit 2,028 yards on a bad team in a 16-game season, so it's plausible.
  • We've seen King Henry hit 2,141 yards in 16 games. 
  • Kamara has never reached 1,700 yards in a season. We've seen Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb, Dalvin Cook, Todd Gurley, Ezekiel Elliott, Michael Thomas, LeVeon Bell, and Kareem Hunt all do it since Kamara has entered the league. But he hasn't.

I think that for yards from scrimmage, you have CMC, Henry, Barkley, Chubb, and Cook all with a shot to hit 2,500 scrimmage yards, in that order, but it'll be unlikely.

I think rushing yards or passing yards are the most likely, though I feel like receiving yards is also a possibility.

Great, valid points. I didn't obviously do research before typing names, just the ones that came to mind, so I wouldn't have included Kamara had I known. That said I would have lost a bet and would have assumed he had gotten over 1700 at one point. Overall, my point is that I think that one has the best shot outside of passing yards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

Well, just calculate up Kamara's last 16 games played and your 1700 mark is satisfied. That didn't take long. With like 50 yards to spare.

I suspect they will lean on him more now. He may not get the 400 touches McCaffrey did in 2019 but he may get close to 350 which would average out to over 2100 yards with 2020's level of production. .

I think it will be receptions since its the most meaningless stat. Guys like Thomas catch 145 balls with 8 TDs and a very low yards per target.

As far as passing yards? I don't think so. No one who will try for it has been anywhere near close to the record.

• Manning is out, Brees is out, there is no point in Brady even trying for 5500 yards.
    • Brady at 4900 and Gabbert at 600 would not surprise me
  • Winston is a part time QB with Taysom Hill probably getting 50-100 snaps behind center at minimum.
    • Their top 2 pass catching options are low yards per target guys.
  • Ben is old and busted.
  • Stafford is in an offense that runs a lot and he's downgraded his pass catchers a bit.
  • So does Matt Ryan best his career high by 534 yards?
    • I guess this is possible if Julio Jones is healthy for 17 but that's a big if.
  • Do the Chiefs feel the need to push Mahomes to play and throw as much as possible even when up big late? Does he play all 17?
  • Does Herbert pick up 1200 yards in year 2 with 2 extra games 
    • he'd be my bet if anyone did it
Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

If I made a list of 10 RBs with a good chance to break 2k yards from scrimmage this year, Kamara would be 9th on the list.

• Dalvin Cook
  • McCaffrey
  • Barkley
  • King Henry 
  • CEH
  • Ekeler (if he plays 17)
  • Taylor in year 2
  • Miles Sanders
  • Kamara
  • Etienne if he goes to the right spot

Its not who the Saints are. Its not who he is. Its not what he does. His offense is downgrading big time.

• HoF QB to clown show
  • Stud TE to Patriots 2019-2020 level TEs
  • Latavius Murray will get 170+ touches
  • Taysom Hill will get 100+ touches
  • If the Saints do lean on him then so will the opposing defenses

This does not mean Kamara is not pretty.

Chubb, both Joneses, and Dobbins also have little chance because of usage and circumstance.

I'm taking Kamara, Aaron Jones, and Dobbins ahead of some of those guys in FF because they will still have a chance to get to 1500-1750 and score a bunch.

Zeke had 2k 3 years ago and I don't think he gets it again.

• The line is a mess, they are WR pass happy, and Pollard will take 150-200 touches.
  • Plus Dak runs 50+ times a year.

2K RBs usually require a team focus on a workhorse

Edited by SkippyX

I think they’ll all be broken within the next few years. But the first one is probably passing yards and sacks. 

Dumbest thing the nfl did with the 17 games. The new playoff format is stupid too. Had the perfect system and ruined it. Just made the game worse and there was no need for it. 

• Like 1

The Rams ran the ball 473 times last year. They average 448 carries a year under McVay.

They are also less likely to get behind by 17 and go pass happy like some of Stafford's Lions teams.

Stafford is not getting anywhere close to 5500.

Lets take a look at the 7 receiving options that helped Brees to the record in 2011:

• TE: Jimmy Graham in year 2 after 307 yards and 5 TDs in the last 8 weeks of 2010. A huge year 2 jump to 1310, but he's a very talented pass catcher HoVG
  • RB3: Darren Sproles, one of the best receiving backs in NFL history. (520 yards the year before) HoVG
  • WR1: Marques Colston, a 4 time 1000 yard receiver in 5 years (1202 yards in 2007)  HoVG
  • WR2: Robert Meachem (career high of 722 and 9 TDs 2 years earlier)
  • WR3: Devrey Henderson, a premier deep threat averaging 18.6 per catch going into 2011 with a high of 804 yards in 2009)
  • WR4: Lance Moore (career high of 928 yards in 2008)
  • RB1: Pierre Thomas (302 yards in 2009)
  • RB2; Rookie Mark Ingram (not really much need of him as a receiver)

That's 5092 yards from those 7 considering their peaks to that point (and doubling rookie Graham's last 8 games from year 1)

Those Brees/Payton Saints ran the ball about 410 times a year in the 4 years leading up to 2011. That's 63 times less than McVay's teams on average.

Now add in that you have a actual elite QB (Brees) instead of a wishful thinking pretend premier QB in Stafford.

McVay might be a bright guy, but he's not Sean Payton.

Brees in that Payton offense with some of those receivers had already led the league in passing twice, breaking 5k in 2008.

Now add Sproles to his team and Jimmy Graham's meteoric year 2 and you get a record.

Feel free to explain how we have something similar on the 2021 Rams.

It seems like the next time someone goes for 2k rushing they will break the all time record. 

2k rushing has come up every fairly regularly. 

Barry, TD, CJ, AD and then Henry in the last 25 or so years. We are likely to see this again soo enough. I think Chubb could have that kind of year.

The passing yards and TD record is poised to be broken by Mahomes or The LA kid 

35 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

What about Special teams options most FGs and points made?

That one's tough because while David Akers set the record for both FGs and attempts in 2011, that season was a major outlier. The previous attempts record stood for 45 years and before Akers, the most recent high point was Olindo Mare with 46 in 1999. So while offense is up league-wide, FG attempts are basically holding steady. And LT set the scoring record, which I don't think will be broken by a kicker. 

• Like 1