2021 Post FA Mock Draft

KodiakThunder

Now that FA is mostly finished I figured its best to take a look at where the draft can go. I would love to hear everyone's input. 

More FA signings:

- Nick Mullins, QB, He knows the system and could start in a pinch. He isn't good but is definitely serviceable as a back up. 

- Tyler Eifert, TE, may have some left in the tank. Should help bring stability to the middle of the field. 

Trades:

- Jets trade Sam Darnold, #23, and #86 (via Sea) to Carolina for 1st (#8) 

Trade Value chart break down:

#8= 1400

#23= 760

#86= 150

1400-(760+150)= -490

This Values Darnold at pick #41 (mid 2nd)

- Jets Trade #107 (80), #146 (31.4) and #186 (15.4) to Green Bay for #92 (132)             

80+31.4= 111.4

111.4+15.4= 126.8

here the Jets win slightly on the trade value chart. It feels like a lot to move up but the value of later picks is hugely diminished. I think the amount returning to Gb makes enough sense to them. 

NFL Draft:

**Disclaimer**

I used CBS's prospect rankings for this mock draft. If you want to claim someone wont be there at a specific pick, that's great, and i may even agree. However, by strictly using a 3rd party ranking I am taking personal bias as much out of it as possible. 

#2- Zach Wilson, QB, BYU- I don't think there's ANY doubt this is the pick at this point. The eagles moving down is as much proof as possible. Wilson is my #1 QB (over the overhyped Lawrence) and slightly ahead of Mac Jones (terribly underrated). Wilson checks ALL the boxes. Not just in projection (a la Darnold) but also in his accuracy, athleticism, processing, and ability to handle the blitz.  

#8 (via Carolina/Sea)- Rayshawn Slater, OL, Northwestern- I know he's a tackle but he can excel at any position on the OL. If Pitts falls here then I could see us taking him instead. However, Slater is my #1 OT and if he's available at #8 (or Pitts), then I'd expect the Jets to make a run at that pick.  )

#34- Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Fla St.- CB is perhaps our single biggest need. I can see us grabbing a CB at #23 if we don't trade up.

#66- Patrick Jones II, DE, UPitt- I have him ranked significantly higher than this but I'm going off of CBS prospect list here. 

#92 (via GB) Kenneth Gainwell, RB, Memphis- I think this guy is the PERFECT fit in this new offense. 

#154 (via NYG) Pete Werner, LB, Ohio St.- I think he can eventually be a starter for us. Got a great motor and excellent instincts. 

Ultimately, the Jets come away with 5 potential new starters:

- Wilson (QB)

- Slater (OL)

-Samuel Jr(CB)

- Jones II (DE)

- Gainwell (RB)

The biggest move that I'm not sure on is the trade up for Gainwell. I love him as a player and late 3rd is where I think he lands. With the Carolina trade I had to manufacture a mechanism to get into the late 3rd for him. While I would have loved to grab  TE, WR, and K here, I am aware that Rome was not built in a day and a football team isn't built in 1 draft. Next year we have two 1st's to continue to plush holes. However, this draft could yield us 5 starters and greatly improves the future of the team. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of the Sam trade.  Just give me Car's 2nd and maybe 5th straight up.  I prefer to not give up our only asset and 2 other top 90 picks even if it is to move up into the top 10.

The draft is deep on OL and CB so we could use another top 50 pick to grab a position of need.

I used to be high on Jones, but after his senior bowl I gave it some more thought. He could have really benefited from Weaver on the other side. I am not so sure he has the burst and flexibility.

JD loves picks and we traded away a lot. With the depth of this draft at OL, WR and to a lesser degree CB, we will want some of those day 3 picks. I love Slater, but I think we could get just as good an OG prospect at 23 or 34. Aside from Jones, I like the players you picked. 

48 minutes ago, xrade said:

I used to be high on Jones, but after his senior bowl I gave it some more thought. He could have really benefited from Weaver on the other side. I am not so sure he has the burst and flexibility.

JD loves picks and we traded away a lot. With the depth of this draft at OL, WR and to a lesser degree CB, we will want some of those day 3 picks. I love Slater, but I think we could get just as good an OG prospect at 23 or 34. Aside from Jones, I like the players you picked. 

I dont disagree on the trade.

I will admit, I think there's a giant gap between Slater and the next OT. 

While I know JD loves his picks, I felt that having Slater man OG/C next year would create such an increase in blocking efficiency that the offense may look completely different under him. I honestly dont have any OG, OT, or C remotely close to him (Slater is my #1 ranked OL and #5 overall on my big board).

The only thing I’m hesitant on now seeing JD through two free agencies is to be trading away multiple picks. Like others have said I’d rather just take the pick for Sam. 

As for the draft....it’s a solid draft. I’m higher on other prospects at positions you’ve picked but they are still good prospects.

I think with JD in charge we are much more likely to be trading down than up though. Case in point last year in the 2nd with Mims.