Jump to content

Chiefs Signing DT Jarran Reed, to a 1 Year Deal


Recommended Posts

 

Not a signing I was expecting, but especially if it's a 1 year prove it money kind of deal, that's a fantastic signing. Jones/Reed/Wharton/Nnadi is a fantastic DT rotation. Like, best in the league caliber.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Potentially interesting context, here.

CJ played DE in the regular season(not afc championship)against Tennessee and looked terrible, was one of the reasons we lost. 
 

much rather have CJ next to Reed chasing after QBs, that will be deadly. Reeds stats are comparable to Jones’ over the last three years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HolmesPriest said:

cool :D Can he play LT?

No. Can he play DE? He's from Seattle, so Clark would know him. As the tweet says, maybe Chris Jones moves outside. 

Any way you take it, this has to be aimed at the bare DE cupboard.

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

CJ played DE in the regular season(not afc championship)against Tennessee and looked terrible, was one of the reasons we lost. 
 

much rather have CJ next to Reed chasing after QBs, that will be deadly. Reeds stats are comparable to Jones’ over the last three years. 

I was just looking at PFF for that game. He got 2 sacks, 1 hit, 2 hurries. And he graded above avg vs the run at LE. (vs TEN) (next week, LE vs SD he didn't do well).

The week before, he played RE and 1 sack, 1 hit, 5 hurries and graded 86.5 vs the run.

And looking at Frank Clark, he's played 3 games in 2018, 2 in 2019 and 3 sacks in those 5 games (and like 10 hurries). (1 game in 2020, 3 hurries)

Looking at Reed, he played 9 games at LE last year (6 of his 9 sacks, 8 hit, 13 hurries). It was rough for 2-3 games vs the run but he picked it up.

I love PFF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

CJ played DE in the regular season(not afc championship)against Tennessee and looked terrible, was one of the reasons we lost. 
 

much rather have CJ next to Reed chasing after QBs, that will be deadly. Reeds stats are comparable to Jones’ over the last three years. 

Did he? Because Clark played 80% of the snaps that game, and Tanoh played 76%. Ogbah played 46%, basically cleaning up the remainder, plus like 1 snap with all 3 on the field. But that doesn't leave many, if any, snaps for Jones to have been outside.

I'm through about 3 quarters of the highlights, and so far I've seen 2 snaps where Jones played outside, one where Tanoh played at his DT spot, and one where Joey Ivie did. The latter was the long run by Henry, so that may have stood out, but that had far more to do with Ivie getting completely lost in traffic. Jones played contain as he should've (really, that play was such atrocious run defense. Ivie and Ragland both got sucked so far in, and vacated the entire gap between the hashes, and Jones and Thornhill were the guys made to look bad because of it, because they were the two athletic enough to try to fill a gap that wasn't their job.) But even late, when Ogbah got hurt, he was playing inside. But, regardless, he did not play DE much that game, and there were far, far stupider reasons we lost that game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

What a signing by the Chiefs.  They now have one of if not the best DT core in the NFL, absolutely the top starting group with Chris Jones and Jarran Reed.

 

Chris Jones / Khalen Saunders
Jarran Reed / Derrick Nnadi

 

Freaking nuts they got him, only a 1 year deal but Jarran Reed is a monster and an absolutely great run defender who is very underrated as a pass rusher.  No clue why Seattle let him walk, he was easily the best DL on that team, they give Carlos Dunlap a huge contract and let Reed leave?  It does not make sense.  They brought back Ford which is good, maybe they think Dunlap can play inside possibly because outside of Ford that DT group is pretty weak.  Because Seattle has a ton of DEs outside of Dunlap with LJ Collier, Kerry Hyder Jr, Benson Mayowa, Rasheem Green, Branden Jackson, Darrell Taylor, Alton Robinson and Damontre Moore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What a signing by the Chiefs.  They now have one of if not the best DT core in the NFL, absolutely the top starting group with Chris Jones and Jarran Reed.

Chris Jones / Khalen Saunders
Jarran Reed / Derrick Nnadi

Freaking nuts they got him, only a 1 year deal but Jarran Reed is a monster and an absolutely great run defender who is very underrated as a pass rusher.  No clue why Seattle let him walk, he was easily the best DL on that team, they give Carlos Dunlap a huge contract and let Reed leave?  It does not make sense.  They brought back Ford which is good, maybe they think Dunlap can play inside possibly because outside of Ford that DT group is pretty weak.  Because Seattle has a ton of DEs outside of Dunlap with LJ Collier, Kerry Hyder Jr, Benson Mayowa, Rasheem Green, Branden Jackson, Darrell Taylor, Alton Robinson and Damontre Moore.

Turk Wharton, not Khalen Sanders. Best UDFA signing of the year, nosing out teammate Tommy Townsend. He played from day #1 and typically played over 40% of the snaps. Saunders was typically under 20%.

This has to impact DE in some way. Jones has been used occasionally at DE. They may do more of that. However, DE remains a big need. 

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Turk Wharton, not Khalen Sanders. Best UDFA signing of the year, nosing out teammate Tommy Townsend. He played from day #1 and typically played over 40% of the snaps. Saunders was typically under 20%.

This has to impact DE in some way. Jones has been used occasionally at DE. They may do more of that. However, DE remains a big need. 

J

 

True, then throw another DT in the mix with Wharton even though he is built more like a strong DE but Saunders has some big time athletic ability and has a chance to be a fine pro.  Clearly they know what they are doing on the interior DL at KC and who to get and how to coach them up.  Even got a surprise about out of Mike Danna who flashed in pre draft stuff but at Michigan did not flash much but was good on Central Michigan but I never watched him play there.  

Clearly the OL and DL do not get the credit they should, Mahomes, Hill and Kelce get all the talk but those lines are the reason for the teams success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

 

True, then throw another DT in the mix with Wharton even though he is built more like a strong DE but Saunders has some big time athletic ability and has a chance to be a fine pro.  Clearly they know what they are doing on the interior DL at KC and who to get and how to coach them up.  Even got a surprise about out of Mike Danna who flashed in pre draft stuff but at Michigan did not flash much but was good on Central Michigan but I never watched him play there.  

Clearly the OL and DL do not get the credit they should, Mahomes, Hill and Kelce get all the talk but those lines are the reason for the teams success.

Saunders can do that, but he still has trouble finding snaps. Wharton, as an UDFA, moved past him on the depth chart before the end of camp.  

Wharton has extremely advanced hand usage for this stage in his career, so OL cannot latch on. I can see retraining him for the outside. He an Danna are the 2nd year players with undefined roles. Figuring out who and where players will take snaps is why they pay coordinators the big bucks. 

J

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...