Chiefs Signing DT Jarran Reed, to a 1 Year Deal

Jakuvious

20 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Did he? Because Clark played 80% of the snaps that game, and Tanoh played 76%. Ogbah played 46%, basically cleaning up the remainder, plus like 1 snap with all 3 on the field. But that doesn't leave many, if any, snaps for Jones to have been outside.

I'm through about 3 quarters of the highlights, and so far I've seen 2 snaps where Jones played outside, one where Tanoh played at his DT spot, and one where Joey Ivie did. The latter was the long run by Henry, so that may have stood out, but that had far more to do with Ivie getting completely lost in traffic. Jones played contain as he should've (really, that play was such atrocious run defense. Ivie and Ragland both got sucked so far in, and vacated the entire gap between the hashes, and Jones and Thornhill were the guys made to look bad because of it, because they were the two athletic enough to try to fill a gap that wasn't their job.) But even late, when Ogbah got hurt, he was playing inside. But, regardless, he did not play DE much that game, and there were far, far stupider reasons we lost that game.

On that long DH run he was supposed to crash inside on the run, you can see the lane open up for that. but he hesitated on the option smelling a sack and Henry took it all the way to the house. 

I mean he’s just one of many reasons we lost that game. Obviously it was a team effort there. But his inexperience at DE cost us, especially against the run.  Like to the point where if you turn on the DH highlight reel each play is when CJs at DE, pretty consistently.

Edited by Chiefer

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

On that long DH run he was supposed to crash inside on the run, you can see the lane open up for that. but he hesitated on the option smelling a sack and Henry took it all the way to the house. 

I mean he’s just one of many reasons we lost that game. Obviously it was a team effort there. But his inexperience at DE cost us, especially against the run.  Like to the point where if you turn on the DH highlight reel each play is when CJs at DE, pretty consistently.

If Jones crashes down on that play, then there is literally no one in contain. If Tannehill keeps, then he could've run for a 60 yard TD. Or Henry could just have cut outside Jones and gone even more untouched for a TD. Jones is the last man on the line on that play. His job is to contain and make sure nothing can get outside of him. Ivie and Ragland start at the right hash and get pushed all the way to outside the left hash. There is no one between them outside the left hash, and Jones all the way on the right hash, when Henry hits the hole on the left hash. If we're saying that spot was Jones's responsibility, then that means you're expecting Jones to stop any run from Henry or Tannehill from the left hash all the way to the right sideline. If that was the responsibility, that's a coaching failure, not Jones not playing DE well. At the start of that play, you have 3 DL and 3 LBs between the hashes. All 6 of them get pushed outside the left hash. All 6 of them wind up further to the left than where the LT started that play. There is no way in hell all 6 of those players were supposed to pursue that heavily. That gap was not Jones's to defend. My guess is Ragland. But Ivie could've put up some form of resistance as well. But Jones's job is contain, there. Someone has to defend a cutback or a bootleg.

I'm just suggesting that maybe we consider that the reason the run D sucked when Jones was at DE wasn't because we had an elite DT at DE, but because moving him meant we had trash at the DT spot he vacated to move there. We literally cut Ivie a week after that game. Tanoh definitely never belonged at DT, even for a snap.