Saints to sign former Chiefs DE Tanoh Kpassagnon to 2-year deal

TheKillerNacho

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

He was raw coming out. Got moved from DE to OLB then back to DE. Couldn’t have helped his growth. But he never put it all together. 

Good depth but not a starter. 

What we need is depth.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

dont you need someone to replace hendrickson? or at least a couple guys to help get there? Not sure this move helps with that goal in mind.

Davenport is going to have to stay healthy for a change.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Solid run defender, never seemed to put it together as a pass rusher though.

He had 10 missed tackles last year in 38 tackle attempts, and we were 31st in the NFL in yards per carry against in runs off the right tackle, allowing 5.59 YPA (and we were 32nd in 2019, so it wasn't like he just had an off year.) There is literally nothing to suggest he was a solid run defender for us.

People liked him, for some inexplicable reason, and want to use clichés to redeem him, but there was nothing he did well on a football field for us last year. He was a terrible run defender, a terrible pass rusher, and even botched a few plays in coverage. Why was he in coverage? I don't know. But he got beat by Jason Witten when he was.

Tanoh isn't the, oh, he didn't get many sacks, but he definitely played contain and run D well, or the sure, he wasn't great but he sure played to the whistle and ran down plays, guy. He just sucked. He was a bad pass rusher. He was a bad run defender. He was Will Bartee at CB or Jordan Black at LT or Kolby Smith at RB or freaking Tyler Palko at QB levels of bad as a starter for us, it's just way less obvious how bad you are when you're bad in the form of just not doing anything but getting pushed out of the way on the DL.

And for reference for non-KC fans reading this, this is not the turn of opinion that occurs once a player moves on, there is no sudden bitterness here, I've been pounding the table all offseason for us to get rid of the guy. He was a complete and total waste of space last year. I've been saying so for months.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

He had 10 missed tackles last year in 38 tackle attempts, and we were 31st in the NFL in yards per carry against in runs off the right tackle, allowing 5.59 YPA (and we were 32nd in 2019, so it wasn't like he just had an off year.) There is literally nothing to suggest he was a solid run defender for us.

People liked him, for some inexplicable reason, and want to use clichés to redeem him, but there was nothing he did well on a football field for us last year. He was a terrible run defender, a terrible pass rusher, and even botched a few plays in coverage. Why was he in coverage? I don't know. But he got beat by Jason Witten when he was.

Tanoh isn't the, oh, he didn't get many sacks, but he definitely played contain and run D well, or the sure, he wasn't great but he sure played to the whistle and ran down plays, guy. He just sucked. He was a bad pass rusher. He was a bad run defender. He was Will Bartee at CB or Jordan Black at LT or Kolby Smith at RB or freaking Tyler Palko at QB levels of bad as a starter for us, it's just way less obvious how bad you are when you're bad in the form of just not doing anything but getting pushed out of the way on the DL.

And for reference for non-KC fans reading this, this is not the turn of opinion that occurs once a player moves on, there is no sudden bitterness here, I've been pounding the table all offseason for us to get rid of the guy. He was a complete and total waste of space last year. I've been saying so for months.

To be fair I always felt him the Sami Parker at WR level starter

12 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Solid run defender, never seemed to put it together as a pass rusher though.

Looks like we'll be improving on a strength then. We need a pass rusher, but finding one is easier said than done. Trey Hendrickson is a good player but IMO he got overpaid so I'd rather it be for a team other than the Saints.

Cam Jordan underwent core muscle surgery this past offseason and was pretty much neutralized as a pass rusher with a RT combined with a chipping TE or RB for the first half of the season. He started getting a bit of his explosiveness back by the end of the year and he was a strong run defender for the entirety of 2020. I think he's going to have a comeback this season, he's always been healthy throughout his career and this season was one of the first times an injury has actually slowed him down. I think he's got 2 more years of good pass rushing years due to his savvy veteran tricks he's got up his sleeve.

Davenport is still developing, but injuries are derailing his career. He's improving his pass rush moves, he is already a strong run defender, and he's very disruptive when he's on the field... he just can't stay on the field.

Tanoh sounds like a blend of both of these guys. He's an oversized run defender like Cam, with a bit of athleticism and length like Davenport that gives you hope he can develop into a pass rusher some day. 

For the price, I like the signing. 

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Looks like we'll be improving on a strength then. We need a pass rusher, but finding one is easier said than done. Trey Hendrickson is a good player but IMO he got overpaid so I'd rather it be for a team other than the Saints.

Cam Jordan underwent core muscle surgery this past offseason and was pretty much neutralized as a pass rusher with a RT combined with a chipping TE or RB for the first half of the season. He started getting a bit of his explosiveness back by the end of the year and he was a strong run defender for the entirety of 2020. I think he's going to have a comeback this season, he's always been healthy throughout his career and this season was one of the first times an injury has actually slowed him down. I think he's got 2 more years of good pass rushing years due to his savvy veteran tricks he's got up his sleeve.

Davenport is still developing, but injuries are derailing his career. He's improving his pass rush moves, he is already a strong run defender, and he's very disruptive when he's on the field... he just can't stay on the field.

Tanoh sounds like a blend of both of these guys. He's an oversized run defender like Cam, with a bit of athleticism and length like Davenport that gives you hope he can develop into a pass rusher some day. 

For the price, I like the signing. 

Can always hope, we sure did.