Another PFF Mock Simulation

vegas492

Felt like running another one of these.  But I decided to trade around some this time.  

29.  Traded to the Giants for 42 and 76.

42.  Traded to New England for 46 and 96.  Board was pretty bad for round one, unless you wanted to reach for Mayfield.  Or ASJr at corner.  I did not.  So I traded back and picked for volume.  Wanted two corners.  Wanted two WR's.  Wanted big DL.

46.  Nick Bolton, LB, MIssouri.  It was him or Zaven Collins with this pick.  Thought Bolton was a better pure ILB.

62.  Elijah Molden, S/CB, Washington.  Has elite slot written all over him.  With King back, this made sense.

76.  Ifeatu Melifonwu.  CB, Syracuse.  Long outside corner who can sit and learn for a year.  Wait, he's backing up King.  He will have to play.  Josh Jackson is now a safety or not on our team.

92.  Tommy Togiai.  DL, Ohio State.  Big body, but not an ideal run stuffer.

96.  Seth Williams.  WR, Auburn.  He was my target at WR.

135.  D'Ante Smith.  OT, East Carolina.  Looks light, but he's got a great frame and I liked the footwork.  

142.  Jamien Sherwood, S/LB, Auburn.  Here is a third safety with physical skills.  Maybe he's even a LB.  I don't know.  But he can play.

173.  Shakur Brown, CB, Michigan State.  Hoping he sits for a while and learns, because he has some serious skill.  Corner is now backfilled.

178.  Simi Fehoko, WR, Stanford.  I've got a soft spot for Jeff Janis.  He's like him.  I'll take it as a developmental WR.

214.  Patrick Jones II, Edge, Pittsburgh.  Has some sacks under his belt.

220.  Cole Van Lanen, OT, Wisconsin.  Was very good two years ago.  Banking that comes back to him at RT in the future.

256.  Quinton Bohanna, DL, Kentucky.  He's a big boy.

My analysis.  Nothing sexy here.  But solid.  Probably picked too many times and should have traded up.  Wished I got a better second WR to develop.  Loved the CB haul.  Feeling good about the ILB position moving forward.

But here's the big thing...I think we got better at the slot and I know we got better at that third safety, box type of guy.

Not digging the OT selections.  Developmental LT and RT.  Nothing that should play right away.  No center.

I can't justify taking an ILB with our first pick given how Kamal Martin and Krys Barnes played last year.  And I'm a big believer in that your ILBs only look as good as the DL in front of them make them play.

Don't like Molden at that spot.  Not a huge fan of Melifonwu, but the value is good here.  The rest is just kind meh for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I can't justify taking an ILB with our first pick given how Kamal Martin and Krys Barnes played last year.  And I'm a big believer in that your ILBs only look as good as the DL in front of them make them play.

Don't like Molden at that spot.  Not a huge fan of Melifonwu, but the value is good here.  The rest is just kind meh for me.

Not disagreeing with you.  But ILB is the easiest spot to get better, quickly, if you find the right guy.  I think Bolton is a pure ILB, Collins is a better hybrid ILB with EDGE stuff to him.  Bolton comes in and should command the defense right away.  Zaven is complimentary.  I wanted a lead dog.

Wished I could have gotten him a better DL inside to help him out, but it didn't fall that way.

BTW...I did get a B+ for the Molden pick at that spot, but I did reach for him on the board.  There were no OT's available.

2 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

Only real comment other than really nice job is if the Packers move down early its to move up in the middle so those moves are missing. 

If we think Radunz could be had at 34, I'd love to trade down and then move up in the 2nd using our 3rd and picking up a 4th as well. It bears to reiterate that picks 35-55 are usually where your immediate impact players are selected on Day 2 with very few exceptions afterwards until Day 3. 

That said, I'm curious as to how there wasn't a reasonable Tackle on the board within the first three rounds. I just don't understand how we as fans fail to understand the incredible hole at that position - even if Bakh is ready for opening day...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe said:

If we think Radunz could be had at 34, I'd love to trade down and then move up in the 2nd using our 3rd and picking up a 4th as well. It bears to reiterate that picks 35-55 are usually where your immediate impact players are selected on Day 2 with very few exceptions afterwards until Day 3. 

That said, I'm curious as to how there wasn't a reasonable Tackle on the board within the first three rounds. I just don't understand how we as fans fail to understand the incredible hole at that position - even if Bakh is ready for opening day...

Madden

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Madden as in the fact that the simulator is a computer?

Nahh. It's a running joke, tongue in cheek kinda thing (or not). Madden players want WR's, gadget guys, and RB's and hate the idea of drafting OL.

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Nahh. It's a running joke, tongue in cheek kinda thing (or not). Madden players want WR's, gadget guys, and RB's and hate the idea of drafting OL.

Ahh. Didn't catch the sarcasm color. My bad...

14 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

The easiest way to get better at ILB is to get better at IDL.

I agree.  I've got nothing against Barnes and Martin.  But Bolton is a really nice player, as is Zaven Collins.  Add Snacks to the DL with one of those guys this year and I'm good to go.

Moses intrigues me, too.  Especially if he slips to the 3rd or 4'th.

Bolton is indeed a really good prospect and a bargain at that point in your mock.  I am a big fan of drafting the big guys first offense and defense, but value is king.  You can talk about the two young guys we have at the position all you want, they are still young guys with reason they went undrafted and 5th round.  Bolton would fit in nicely and push for a starting spot right away.  Quality depth is needed at all positions to boot.  I've run these simulators too and it's fun.  You can really rip some unbalanced trades.  I look forward to seeing the disparity between pretend and realism every year concerning them.

I think that if Barnes and Martin can hold up behind that DL, Bolton will as well.  Bolton is just better than anything we have.  Plus, I drafted two DL.  One huge body, one is more of a 3-tech.

I don't want an ILB in round one.  But from where I was picking, he made the most sense, especially after Gute said he needed better ILB play.