TNF: Raiders vs. Chiefs

big_palooka

CzK1BxsWIAEOLrE.0.jpeg

Season is on the line. 3rd straight game at home against a division rival who has had their number. Both teams coming off losses where their offenses struggled.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/raiders/raiders-offense-looks-for-elusive-spark-vs-kansas-city-chiefs/

“When you look at the tape, you can see that we’re so close on so many things,” Downing said in a news conference. “I know that sounds cliché, and I know that sounds like someone sitting up here and trying to give you the rose-colored glasses, but it’s the truth. We know that we’re just this close to making a couple more plays each game and being able to come out on top and feeling like we put together a good product. …

If this offense is going to get it corrected, this is a big week. KC is giving up the 6th most rushing yards this season. Their ILBs are slow to the sidelines. Good opportunity to re-establish themselves upfront and dominate the LOS.

Defense will have it's hands full. Have to protect against a variety of weapons and keep Smith in the pocket. Must have eyes and bodies on Hunt at all times out of the backfield. Someone has to step up to cover Kelce and they can't get beat deep by Hill.

Optimism: The Raiders, with their backs against the wall having lost 4 straight play their first complete game since week 2. Rebuild confidence by hanging a L on their division rival who they've struggled with. This propels them the rest of the season.

Pessimism: They are what their records says. They lay another egg on offense. Defense can't matchup against KC's weapons. Andy Reid continues to make fools of this coaching staff. The wheels officially fall off and the natives continue to storm the castle demanding answers. 

We're going to learn a lot on Thursday about how willing to fight this team is for their coach. How they react backs against the walls. How well their coaches can prepare and motivate them when it's all on the line. Is this "just another Raiders team" middling around who can't correct issues or is this a 2002 Raiders team who lost 4 straight and went 8-1 down the stretch and played in a Superbowl?

It's now or never for JDR, KNJ, TD and co........ 

A couple of things:

totally unacceptable that the Raiders color rush isn't black. I mean the niners have all black why not the Raiders. 

Secondly it nut up or shut up time. This game will tell us as fans what this season will be like. The Raiders have been working this offense all year long. Close isn't good enough especially with the talent on offense. I feel like this team is doomed though. 

35 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

A couple of things:

totally unacceptable that the Raiders color rush isn't black. I mean the niners have all black why not the Raiders. 

Secondly it nut up or shut up time. This game will tell us as fans what this season will be like. The Raiders have been working this offense all year long. Close isn't good enough especially with the talent on offense. I feel like this team is doomed though. 

And they are playing at home none the less! Raider fans have been clamoring for an "all black" look for a decade. Long before this color rush non-sense. It's the perfect excuse to go there and they are not reading their audience.

I'm guessing they like the white on silver AFL throwback jersey. 

I would at least like to see the offense make tangible improvements.  As for the final outcome, my expectations are tempered by the #1 offense by DVOA matching up against the #28 defense by DVOA.  Even at home, that could get ugly. KC's offensive skill set (speed all over, versatile RBs, excellent TE) is particularly well-suited to take advantage of our defensive shortcomings. On the other hand, it's a Thursday and a division game, so who knows?

1 hour ago, 808sinfour4time said:

I would at least like to see the offense make tangible improvements.  As for the final outcome, my expectations are tempered by the #1 offense by DVOA matching up against the #28 defense by DVOA.  Even at home, that could get ugly. KC's offensive skill set (speed all over, versatile RBs, excellent TE) is particularly well-suited to take advantage of our defensive shortcomings. On the other hand, it's a Thursday and a division game, so who knows?

For what it's worth, chiefs are banged up on the offensive line and west and Conley are down too. Like I seem to say every week, we need a big game from the interior cuz it's their biggest week spot right now imo. That's how the Steelers beat them. They won the battle in the trenches. We should take notes from that game. Force the pass and pound the ball down their throat. Crabs/Coop against Terrence Mitchell is a matchup we need to look to exploit a couple times

Coming off of that pathetic 0-4 stretch, it's hard to have any optimism about this team. Washington punched them in the mouth, and they haven't regained consciousness yet. And when they finally do come back to life, it may be too late.

The Chiefs are a great regular season team. We don't match up well with them at all. Alex Smith owns our team, he always seems to play best against us. Derek Carr shrinks against KC.  He has never had a good game against that defense. KC is susceptible to being ran on, but we aren't consistent enough in the run game.

Andy Reid is too much of an offensive mastermind to not come up with a plan to exploit our limited defense. With all the trickery and gadget plays KC runs, you need your defense to have strong communication on what their assignments are. And unfortunately we don't have that, and we are acclimating a new LB into the fold this week. 

Everything points to an emphatic loss. But it's Thursday night divisional game, with the season on the line. Maybe they'll come out playing with a fire instead of the sleepwalking we've seen the past month.

Logically this will be a really easy KC win.

They own us lately, Andy Reid is a master of scheming, while we have quite the opposite in the house...

Smith, Kelce owns us already and Hunt is definately not a guy we are prepared for...Hill is just the bonus...

With that said, still anything can happen is the NFL right? :)

They will be without Mitch and Laurent, so basically the interior OL will be without 2 starters, which could effect their ground game and Alex's timing.

If Mack and Co can't get to Smith now, we might never will...we need to hit him and our sec need to finally get some TO's.

The Chiefs D allows lots of yards, so Carr&Co could get into a rythm finally.

I just hope the OL mannes up and put on a show like they did against Denver last year...

We will see...

I'll finally join the "Must win" bandwagon. We're not making the playoffs if we start 2-5. With that said though, I think we WILL win and get back on track. This game is in Oakland and the Raiders are hungry for a win. Andy only had four days to outscheme Del Rio and co. (Full week he'd probably scheme circles around them). Kansas City's Offense struggled last game and our defense honestly has not been all that bad. 

Not only will I predict a win here, I'll predict a win by two scores. 26-17 Final Raider Victory. And I am 5 of 6 predicting Raider games this season with pretty accurate scores. 

If we lose this game, and our coaching staff looks seriously out coached, I really think we should clean house on our coaching staff at the end of the year. 

I'll be at the game in section 144. Anyone else going?

Archived