49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886dbwgadmcw9a3l27urm

Like I’ve been saying in the Niners forum all along. I will not believe Mac and Cheese is the pick until I hear it from Roger Goodell. 

This is my feeling as well. They gave up 3 first rounders, they're looking to do something dramatic, which isn't Mac Jones.

15 minutes ago, GW21 said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886dbwgadmcw9a3l27urm

Like I’ve been saying in the Niners forum all along. I will not believe Mac and Cheese is the pick until I hear it from Roger Goodell. 

He won't be, you don't trade that type of draft capital for a QB whose best traits are "smart and knows where to go with the football" while also never all of last year even through the championship game was considered a better QB prospect than Fields.

Mac Jones is getting dangled as a smoke screen.

Though I don't know why.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

He won't be, you don't trade that type of draft capital for a QB whose best traits are "smart and knows where to go with the football" while also never all of last year even through the championship game was considered a better QB prospect than Fields.

Though I don't know why.

Smokescreen from who? They have the draft in their hands. First 2 picks are already decided. 

52 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Smokescreen from who? They have the draft in their hands. First 2 picks are already decided. 

The niners may have their preferred QB rated higher than wilson. If that is the case, they would not want the jets to change their mind.  

So, until the jets make their pick, there is no reason the niners should telegraph their intentions.

I can also rephrase this. You are asking, "why lie?" my response: "why tell the truth?" In what way does it benefit the niners? 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

The niners may have their preferred QB rated higher than wilson. If that is the case, they would not want the jets to change their mind.  

So, until the jets make their pick, there is no reason the niners should telegraph their intentions.

I can also rephrase this. You are asking, "why lie?" my response: "why tell the truth?" In what way does it benefit the niners? 

I can see that but I would assume just based on familiarity they're pretty much tapped into what we're doing at 2. That's what gave them to confidence to move to 3. 

18 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I can see that but I would assume just based on familiarity they're pretty much tapped into what we're doing at 2. That's what gave them to confidence to move to 3. 

Right, but that doesnt prevent the jets from changing their mind and trying to copy their former boss' homework

It probably wont happen that way, but its certainly possible, which is why there is zero upside to the niners announcing to the world they will take fields

On 4/10/2021 at 7:22 AM, BigTrav said:

Lance. 

Most snaps under center out of the 5, calls his own protection, had full backs and motion as part of the offense more than any of the other QBs (sound like anyone?). Despite not playing a year, he has the same number of starts as Jones. 

LANCE is the logical selection.

100% agree. He will be the pick in my opinion. Been saying it since they made the trade. 

• Like 1

Best Scenario - Draft Fields as a day 1 starter, trade Jimmy to CHI/NE/HOU, trade for Minshew as the backup. 

Good Scenario - Draft Lance, have Jimmy start the year & insert Lance if Jimmy struggles or gets hurt 

Bad Scenario - Draft Jones as a day 1 starter, trade Jimmy, trade for Minshew as a backup

Worst scenario - Draft Jones, keep Jimmy.

Trading 3 picks for "pro ready" safe & limited QB over Fields & Lance upside would be bad enough, but to have him on the bench while Jimmy starts would be the worst use of resources in terms of no impact from Mac as well as cap space being eaten up by Jimmy.

Edited by 49ersfan

In the end, we'll have to get over the fact that Shanahan will have traded up to #3, only to waste that opportunity on a QB who was 1st overall in completion rate, deep yards, and QBRating, 2nd in screen yards, 2nd among the top five in toss time, and 1st among the top five in sack avoidance and drop rate.  (And wasn't terrible in the other three categories.)  Worse, Kyle made this blunder while watching video of the QB hitting his fifth read in less than 3 seconds. 

It's an outrage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

In the end, we'll have to get over the fact that Shanahan will have traded up to #3, only to waste that opportunity on a QB who was 1st overall in completion rate, deep yards, and QBRating, 2nd in screen yards, 2nd among the top five in toss time, and 1st among the top five in sack avoidance and drop rate.  (And wasn't terrible in the other three categories.)  Worse, Kyle made this blunder while watching video of the QB hitting his fifth read in less than 3 seconds. 

It's an outrage!

I think the 2 most concerning things with Jones (which are completely justifiable) are that he doesnt have the elite arm talent that some of the other guys have. He is accurate and makes good reads quick, but he doesnt have nearly the high level pop 'wow' throws that others do. He doesnt do anything that is over the top on any sort of consistent basis.

Secondly, he is a statue of a QB in todays NFL. He will be the least mobile QB drafted in the top 10 since who...Jared Goff? His inability to extend plays and be a duel threat is going to greatly limit his ceiling in 2021 football.

Hes like a watered down version of Baker Mayfield that is less daring and even less mobile.

Edited by AkronsWitness

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Though I don't know why.

It's not a smoke screen, at least not to me. I always think of smoke screens as something a team is actively doing to misdirect others. The niners simply aren't saying anything would be my guess. Its just people running their mouths off (this applies to the sudden shift to Fields as well). I don't think anyone knows. The niners staff doesn't even know who the pick is. I'd guess that Shanny, Lynch, Paraag all definitely know. Peters may know, and Jed may or may not know (I'd assume yes). There aren't a lot of people in the building that know, and none of them are prone to blabbing the last few years. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not a smoke screen, at least not to me. I always think of smoke screens as something a team is actively doing to misdirect others. The niners simply aren't saying anything would be my guess. Its just people running their mouths off (this applies to the sudden shift to Fields as well). I don't think anyone knows. The niners staff doesn't even know who the pick is. I'd guess that Shanny, Lynch, Paraag all definitely know. Peters may know, and Jed may or may not know (I'd assume yes). There aren't a lot of people in the building that know, and none of them are prone to blabbing the last few years. 

I mean I would assume you dont mortgage your draft future and make a trade up to #3 overall if you didnt have your eye on 1 particular guy you liked. The 49ers know. At least they know who they are favoring. Cant imagine they make that kind of trade without any idea of who they want to draft.

The 49ers paid that price for a guy. What guy it is nobody knows. Probably Kyle Trask.

2 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

It's an outrage!

Not trying to cherry pick here, but this isn't something I would be super proud of. It kind of plays into the narrative that he was surrounded by talented players that would create for him. 

• Like 2