49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If this is the working theory, and it is completely possible, that means that all 5 of these QBs(because they clearly would love Lawrence and Wilson) caught the eye of the best offensive mind in the NFL. 

Or they had a guy they really liked and just are going through the process with the other 2 to do their due diligence but making a guy work with a QB coached with ties to your head coach and then basically orchestrating his pro day as if its a private workout just jumps out to me. 

This is going down to the wire, no one has any idea what's going on. 

I will say that the people I most trust with regards to the 9ers, Peter King / Breer / Rap, have all indicated that a decision has not yet been made. So even though it sounded crazy to me at the time, I think there's legit merit to the idea that they haven't decided so they really are going to go through everything. 

It's a little fascinating on how different the Fields & Lance situations have been from Mac. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I will say that the people I most trust with regards to the 9ers, Peter King / Breer / Rap, have all indicated that a decision has not yet been made. So even though it sounded crazy to me at the time, I think there's legit merit to the idea that they haven't decided so they really are going to go through everything. 

It's a little fascinating on how different the Fields & Lance situations have been from Mac. 

That does stand out, all 3 had 2 pro days Shanahan will see all 3 but Fields had more 49ers handprints on his and Lance's is basically a private workout. I think Kyle sees Lance as his "Mahomes" not in skillset but the guy who has the most to work with and he knows he can pull it out of him. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That does stand out, all 3 had 2 pro days Shanahan will see all 3 but Fields had more 49ers handprints on his and Lance's is basically a private workout. I think Kyle sees Lance as his "Mahomes" not in skillset but the guy who has the most to work with and he knows he can pull it out of him. 

And if that's true they will draft him at 3. I don't see how Fields isn't in the same boat tho. 

If these reports are true and the 49ers really traded up without knowing which qb they wanted and still can't decide which qb they want- craziness.  This is the extreme opposite of BPA.  They are literally forcing the qb issue.  I just can't see this ending well.  

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If these reports are true and the 49ers really traded up without knowing which qb they wanted and still can't decide which qb they want- craziness.  This is the extreme opposite of BPA.  They are literally forcing the qb issue.  I just can't see this ending well.  

Most QBs are their situation. Seldom do quarterbacks go into a situation this good (especially in the top 3). I'm not overly concerned about a true bust, tbh...but I think that there can be questions on whether or not the juice was worth the squeeze. 

On 3/31/2021 at 10:23 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)?

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? 

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? 

1. Fields or Wilson
  2. Keep Garoppolo so Fields has more time and isn't thrown in right away.  Whether Fields sits 4 games, 8 games, or the whole year depends on how he is progressing in practice.
  3. Rd 3 pick
  4. Literally everything else will have to go right to win a SB with JG.  Entire oline stays healthy, career years from edge rushers (like Nick Bosa DPoY level career year), running backs, and CBs, An odd number of 50/50 situations going their way, etc...
  5. Same answer as 4, unless the rookie QB has an unnaturally low number or errors.
  6. Three years before that group has any real heat
  7. Yes.  Their roster is damn good, but lacking at QB can undo all of it unless things go perfectly.  Only other route that could work would be trading for Watson and hoping it all smooths out and they didn't have to pay a kings ransom (Say their 1st and 2nd this year, and a 2nd next year).
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, offbyone said:

See the thing is in the press conference post trade they stated they where ok with what they thought where the top 3 QBs or they would have not made the move.

Check out 3:35 kyle speaks about him being comfortable with top 3.

Edited by 49erurtaza

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

If these reports are true and the 49ers really traded up without knowing which qb they wanted and still can't decide which qb they want- craziness.

I don't see anything crazy here.  Shanahan was saying he wanted the third QB so he traded up to #3.  WTP?

Just because he isn't telling anyone who that is doesn't mean he doesn't or didn't know yet.  

There might not be a losing option here. 

(I happen to believe there is but, given the numbers, I can't imagine him going wrong.)

11 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

See the thing is in the press conference post trade they stated they where ok with what they thought where the top 3 QBs or they would have not made the move.

Check out 3:35 kyle speaks about him being comfortable with top 3.

To me they are forcing it, making a move for need that is super high risk with a throwing spaghetti at the wall approach.  The only question to me is whether they are right.  It is hard for me not to wonder if Kyle is being a bit to cocky here.  

I guess the outcome will be unknown for a few years, but I look forward to watching how this goes.  

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

To me they are forcing it, making a move for need that is super high risk with a throwing spaghetti at the wall approach.  The only question to me is whether they are right.  It is hard for me not to wonder if Kyle is being a bit to cocky here.  

I guess the outcome will be unknown for a few years, but I look forward to watching how this goes.  

You are taking these media reports of "they are still evaluating" too literally. 

They had a "lead dog" when they traded up. They had a draft board set up already, even if it was subject to change, they had already done their film review and had all 5 of the top QBs in some sort of order at that time. If the draft was the day of the trade, they would have known what to do with the pick. 

What the reports really mean, is that they are going to thoroughly do their homework on all 5 guys (maybe minus TL), just in case they get new information that changes their thought process. There is nothing wrong with that. Doing anything else would probably be negligence. 

They arent "throwing spaghetti at the wall" like some 3 year old who wants ice cream. They are doing and redoing their homework to make sure that their answers are 100% accurate, because - why not? Why should they stop evaluating their options until draft day? 

They know their careers and reputations are on the line. They know they can hang onto their veteran QB for at least a year and win games - so they arent overly desperate like you are insinuating. This trade was aggressive, but it wasnt rash or foolish. It was calculated. They had a really tough year with everything going wrong that landed them up at #12 (not a place they expected to be one year removed from a superbowl) and this is a draft class with 5 guys who will get selected in the first round. That presented an opportunity to trade up because they didnt have to pay the premium it would have taken to go up to 1,2, or 3 if there was only one legit franchise QB available. 

I’d draft Mac Jones. Assuming TLaw and Wilson are off the board.

I wouldn’t trade Garoppolo unless I’m offered a 2nd.

SF can win a SB with Garoppolo this year or Mac Jones as early as next year.

I would have waited to make a trade on draft day since I suspect Mac Jones could have been had a bit further down. Possibly trade up to 7th. Would have saved them draft capital.

Edited by SDotNova

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

I’d draft Mac Jones. Assuming TLaw and Wilson are off the board.

I wouldn’t trade Garoppolo unless I’m offered a 2nd.

SF can win a SB with Garoppolo this year or Mac Jones as early as next year.

I would have waited to make a trade on draft day since I suspect Mac Jones could have been had a bit further down. Possibly trade up to 7th. Would have saved them draft capital.

My gut feeling is they would trade up to 7 or so for Mac on draft day if that was the #1 target. Since this move was made a month in advance & Shanny has gushed over Josh Allen in the past, i think this move was made for the guy who compares to him most, Trey Lance. Lance also fits Shanny's offense - i think he had by far the most PA attemps in college out of the Jones/Fields/Lance trio, and thats a huge staple of the offense