49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

On 4/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, Forge said:

I will say that the people I most trust with regards to the 9ers, Peter King / Breer / Rap, have all indicated that a decision has not yet been made. So even though it sounded crazy to me at the time, I think there's legit merit to the idea that they haven't decided so they really are going to go through everything. 

It's a little fascinating on how different the Fields & Lance situations have been from Mac. 

I personally think thats a smart move by them honestly.  They knew for a fact they wanted a QB in this draft and guaranteed had atleast 3 or 4 they liked to choose from.   So the thought to move up was pretty much a lock for them to get one of them so no reason to hesitate to move up even if you weren't finished with the interview process.   Now use the rest of the time to get every little detail on all of them to find out the exact one you want.   

For selfish reasons i am hoping they take Lance at 3 :D

3 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I personally think thats a smart move by them honestly.  They knew for a fact they wanted a QB in this draft and guaranteed had atleast 3 or 4 they liked to choose from.   So the thought to move up was pretty much a lock for them to get one of them so no reason to hesitate to move up even if you weren't finished with the interview process.   Now use the rest of the time to get every little detail on all of them to find out the exact one you want.   

For selfish reasons i am hoping they take Lance at 3 :D

I think it's going to be Mac at this point. I'd prefer Fields and Lance over Mac, but what can you do. 

Just now, Forge said:

I think it's going to be Mac at this point. I'd prefer Fields and Lance over Mac, but what can you do. 

I don't want a QB taken by the Falcons but if we end up with one i want it to be Fields.  Mac im meh at best on but i like him more than Lance for sure.  Fields is the only one i would still be pretty excited about although still bummed we took one over moving down 1st choice or getting Pitts/Parsons/Sewell 2nd choice. 

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I don't want a QB taken by the Falcons but if we end up with one i want it to be Fields.  Mac im meh at best on but i like him more than Lance for sure.  Fields is the only one i would still be pretty excited about although still bummed we took one over moving down 1st choice or getting Pitts/Parsons/Sewell 2nd choice. 

I feel like if you guys don't move down, you're taking Pitts. I know that you guys have done a ton of research on the quarterbacks though 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

You'll get none of those guys and yet you'll still be thrilled. How you ask ?

Jets are drafting Penei Sewell at 2, leaving Zach Wilson for you.
That's why Shanny made the trade right after talking to Saleh

Then the Jets will trade # 23 for QB Jordan Love.
I can't reveal my sources at this time, but there will come a moment on 4/29 when you say:
Holy Crap ! How did he know ???

( i know a few high people in places) Of course this isn't real, I'm just having some fun

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

You'll get none of those guys and yet you'll still be thrilled. How you ask ?

Jets are drafting Penei Sewell at 2, leaving Zach Wilson for you.
That's why Shanny made the trade right after talking to Saleh

Then the Jets will trade # 23 for QB Jordan Love.
I can't reveal my sources at this time, but there will come a moment on 4/29 when you say:
Holy Crap ! How did he know ???

( i know a few high people in places) Of course this isn't real, I'm just having some fun

My understanding is that you're trading Love to New England. Someone saw it on someone's desk LOL

• Like 1

21 hours ago, N4L said:

You are taking these media reports of "they are still evaluating" too literally. 

They had a "lead dog" when they traded up. They had a draft board set up already, even if it was subject to change, they had already done their film review and had all 5 of the top QBs in some sort of order at that time. If the draft was the day of the trade, they would have known what to do with the pick. 

What the reports really mean, is that they are going to thoroughly do their homework on all 5 guys (maybe minus TL), just in case they get new information that changes their thought process. There is nothing wrong with that. Doing anything else would probably be negligence. 

They arent "throwing spaghetti at the wall" like some 3 year old who wants ice cream. They are doing and redoing their homework to make sure that their answers are 100% accurate, because - why not? Why should they stop evaluating their options until draft day? 

They know their careers and reputations are on the line. They know they can hang onto their veteran QB for at least a year and win games - so they arent overly desperate like you are insinuating. This trade was aggressive, but it wasnt rash or foolish. It was calculated. They had a really tough year with everything going wrong that landed them up at #12 (not a place they expected to be one year removed from a superbowl) and this is a draft class with 5 guys who will get selected in the first round. That presented an opportunity to trade up because they didnt have to pay the premium it would have taken to go up to 1,2, or 3 if there was only one legit franchise QB available. 

I am not insinuating they are desperate, but rash and foolish, heck yeah.  Sometimes that is how you win in the nfl.  But don't rationalize it as a calculated smart value move. 

Shanahan is a great coach and will get the most out of who he picks but they bought the ticket before they knew who was playing the show.  Statistically 2 out of those 3 qbs (jones, fields, lance) will fail to be franchise qbs.  It is one thing to take a guy with the pick you have, but it is an expensive gamble putting all those picks on the table.   

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

So, with Lance in the fold, what would NFL Gen do? Keep Jimmy & redshirt Lance for a year? Or start Lance, even if you modify the offense, and move on from Jimmy? 

Given only these two options.....I don't think much of Lance, personally, but you still gotta go with him IMO. Simply because you already know what you're getting with JG at this point.

That said, I would opt for a third option.  Start JG and give Lance enough time to learn the playbook and adjust.  If JG isn't cutting it by say week 5-7 and the Niners are still in the playoff hunt and the team has been losing because of JG......then pull the trigger and bench him in favor of Lance.

JG (although limited) has proven that he can be a solid game manager in Shanny's offense, so I would utilize this to my advantage in order to give Lance a chance to learn and see how far JG can take the team.  Besides, they already have alot invested in him so why not try and get the most out of it while they still can while also giving the rookie a chance to sit and learn.

As a post-script to the discussion - Lance should be exhibit A that smokescreens are always possible pre-draft.   All those takes about how there was no reason to feint interest in Mac Jones.    From Kyle himself - another example of how during lying season - believe nothing as a given.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2