49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

So you don't waste the #3 pick on the next AJ McCarron because your TEAM as in T E A M Team will suck if you do.

I wouldn't compare Fields to A.J. McCarron just yet.

It's not like Jones is significantly better than Fields overall.  It's just that Shanahan may prefer Mac's intelligence to Justin's superior mobility.

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

There will be lots of good QBs that won't be drafted #1 this year, but would have been selected #1 in many other seasons. Lawrence is the best QB prospect that I've seen since Manning, so is that to say that every QB drafted since Manning aren't phenomenal prospects? Because Lawrence would have been drafted before all of them. Heck...I think that may have even been drafted before Manning.

Should it come up in conversation, the consensus is that the only phenomenal QB this year is Trevor Lawrence.

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I wouldn't compare Fields to A.J. McCarron just yet.

It's not like Jones is significantly better than Fields overall.  It's just that Shanahan may prefer Mac's intelligence to Justin's superior mobility.

The old smart white dude ploy. Good luck with that.

I am guessing he can 'read defenses' too.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:23 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

So obviously last Friday the 49ers shook up the draft and NFL world by trading two future first rounders to get to #3 to draft one of the top QBs. Some questions:

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)?

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? 

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? 

You don't have to answer all these questions, but just curious to hear some outside perspective on things Niners fans have been debating since the trade was made.

1. Whoever Kyle wants is the obvious answer. I think I'd want 1)Trevor Lawrence 2) Zach Wilson 3) Justin Fields 4) Trey Lance 5) Mac Jones but it would be contingent on the coach knowing if the kid can operate the offense, and that takes priority over all else. Trey Lance would have very special upside in the Josh Allen and MVP-contender Wentz range, but has level of competition and the NFL adjustment period they both had. Justin Fields and Zach Wilson are both ballers, but I think Wilson might have a little too much swagger for Kyle's offense. Justin Fields I think would be great for them if he blew the interviews away. Justin Fields was the HS QB prize if Trevor Lawrence didn't exist, and after transferring to Ohio State he showed special play a lot of the time. If Mac Jones is just there though, and he's capable and understands what is asked and can make the reads and deliver quickly and accurately it's not the upside of the others, but it's winning football and isn't the wrong pick. It's whatever Shannihan wants and which prospect interviews well enough over zoom to show advanced understanding. I think it might very well be Trey Lance with him spending most of the off year (1 game played) studying what the "QB needy" teams do on offense, then...

2. Keep Jimmy for the 2021 and he is the starter unless beaten in the film room and practice field.

3. I think I'd want a Wentz like deal with like a 3rd this year and a conditional 2nd/1st next year. I would think a team like Washington or New England are fits.

4. Yes, just a year ago they were on the verge. I wouldn't say it's likely as you have to knock off Brady and/or Rodgers and take out the NFC West first. If they are healthy and in the playoffs though, as good as anyone else.

5. No in 2021, yes beyond that.

6. I think the leash is long, but I don't think the 49ers would have continued years missing the playoffs to really question it. I expect Kyle to be the coach in ten years.

7. Fully depends on if one of the prospects blew it away in zoom meetings. If one of them came off as a professional that has put in the work to know the offense, understand defenses and whatnot, yes. If they just thought this is a year with multiple generic first round worthy QBs, but aren't in love with a specific one (or three given Lawrence and likely Wilson are 1/2) then it's a touch questionable (and I could see a path where they think this is the last time they will be in range of a QB and just pulled the trigger and hope). It also depends on what Watson cost and if talks were shut down.

• Like 1

I'll be surprised if it's Fields. Too many processing weaknesses to go that high. Gil Brandt had that recent tweet emphasizing that opinion of Fields is all over the place, that in his sample of various teams it's anywhere from 5th best player all the way to 4th round pick.

I don't see how that type of variance lends to trading up from 12 to 3.

Mac Jones averaged 11.2 YPA. Ignore that at your own risk. The recent quarterbacks with a season of 11+ YPA were Mayfield (first pick), Murray (first), Burrow (first), Tua (fifth) and Hurts (53rd pick). Zach Wilson also at 11 YPA obviously will go very high. Anyone discounting Jones is trying to force the league into making him a subjective outlier. I prefer the numerical trend to work in my favor.

Edited by Awsi Dooger

8 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

I wonder how much Jimmy hates Sherman and Ward for messing up his guaranteed SB and causing all this ruckus

Should be blaming himself for not pump faking so that Chris Jones would jump early

11 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I don't see how that type of variance lends to trading up from 12 to 3.

Because the niners could be one of the teams that has him in the top 5? 

The variance is relatively inconsequential. That could have been 28 teams with a top 5 grade, 3 with a top 10 grade and one with a 4th round grade. It could have been three in the top 5 and the rest all over. If the niners are one of the three, you're going to go get him

If the QB is ready - which they probably won't know until they get him in the building, I'd start him.

I wouldn't draft Fields - he may not have missed time, but he ended up getting hurt multiple times and trying to play through it - culminating in the two CFP losses where we needed him most. If he runs, which he will, he's going to get hurt.

The Niners have an interesting roster. I don't think it's as good as some others apparently. They have a decent OL, two scheme fits at WR, but no clue how good they are just yet - and a RBBC that Shanahan can maximize. Kittle is great obviously, but the rest of the weapons are just sort of extensions of Shanahan.

Their defense is probably about to get worse. Nobody mentioned Buckner's absence last year because Bosa was out - but if were comparing them to their Super Bowl team they're down an elite DT, a pro bowl CB (Sherman was great that year) and one of the best DCs in the league.

Not a bad team but IMO they're too reliant on Shanahans genius and that may be the reason for the trade up (along with Jimmy being hurt every year).

When you factor in the brutal division, it feels to me like this trade was Shanahan retreating to the shadows for a year or two and hoping that whatever QB they draft can lead to years of domination.

But in the short term, they might be the fourth best team in the NFC West next year.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:50 AM, wwhickok said:

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? Yes I do.

Absolutely not, and they already had a chance to do that.  He’s also one of the worst postseason QBs anybody has ever seen.  

53 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Absolutely not, and they already had a chance to do that.  He’s also one of the worst postseason QBs anybody has ever seen.  

They had an insane amount or injuries last year. They have a ton of talent on their defense. If they can continue to add the offense, Jimmy G has proven he can play efficiently. The Quesrion wasn't do I think they will. The question was do I think they have q chance. So I applied but I think you're off base here, way off.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

They had an insane amount or injuries last year. They have a ton of talent on their defense. If they can continue to add the offense, Jimmy G has proven he can play efficiently. The Quesrion wasn't do I think they will. The question was do I think they have q chance. So I applied but I think you're off base here, way off.

The defense and the rush offense carried him all the way to the Super Bowl.  

Garappolo did nothing.  He handed the ball off to Raheem Mostert the entire postseason.  

San Francisco wasted a ton of time and money off of a 2nd string QB.