49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

8 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

The defense and the rush offense carried him all the way to the Super Bowl.  

Garappolo did nothing.  He handed the ball off to Raheem Mostert the entire postseason.  

San Francisco wasted a ton of time and money off of a 2nd string QB.  

So what you're saying is they have proven they're capable of getting to the SB with Jimmy?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

I’d draft Trey Lance. If you have faith in Shanahan to get the most out of any QB you draft at 3 down the line I think it’s gotta be Lance 

I agree with this. If you have a QB whisperer such as Shanahan, you bank on them taking someone with incredible upside and getting the most out of them.

Andy Reid could have looked at the body of work from Deshaun Watson and went in that direction, but he saw the near unlimited upside of Patrick Mahomes and banked on his ability to coach - and it paid off in spades. Reid could have probably gotten similar results out of Watson, but I don't think he'd get the EXACT results as he's gotten out of Mahomes.

If you're San Francisco, bet on Shanahan's unique ability to coach up a QB and go with the unlimited upside that is Trey Lance (or Justin Fields, if we're being honest). 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 10:23 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)?

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? 

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? 

1. Fields only at third overall or Wilson is the Jets take Fields.

2 & 3. Trade Jimmy G if you get a second or better only. 

4. Less likely than before. Everyone needs to stay healthier than before.

5. With Fields only. He is good on the big stage. No other rookie QB would work for them to win a Super Bowl year one including playoff choker Lawrence.

6. With Fields they wouldn't lose but he is good enough that if for some reason injuries hit hard two years in a row and they are mediocre record-wise then the regime would have at minimum 2022 to figure it out. With Jones as the rookie QB in this situation I think they might get the hook next year. With Lance or Wilson I think the current Niners regime would probably have an extra year like with Fields.

7. No, too much. I would have targeted Atlanta or Philadelphia for a trade up and taken whoever is left from Kyle Pitts, Jaycee Horn, Michah Parsons, or Penei Sewell.

10 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

If the QB is ready - which they probably won't know until they get him in the building, I'd start him.

I wouldn't draft Fields - he may not have missed time, but he ended up getting hurt multiple times and trying to play through it - culminating in the two CFP losses where we needed him most. If he runs, which he will, he's going to get hurt.

The Niners have an interesting roster. I don't think it's as good as some others apparently. They have a decent OL, two scheme fits at WR, but no clue how good they are just yet - and a RBBC that Shanahan can maximize. Kittle is great obviously, but the rest of the weapons are just sort of extensions of Shanahan.

Their defense is probably about to get worse. Nobody mentioned Buckner's absence last year because Bosa was out - but if were comparing them to their Super Bowl team they're down an elite DT, a pro bowl CB (Sherman was great that year) and one of the best DCs in the league.

Not a bad team but IMO they're too reliant on Shanahans genius and that may be the reason for the trade up (along with Jimmy being hurt every year).

When you factor in the brutal division, it feels to me like this trade was Shanahan retreating to the shadows for a year or two and hoping that whatever QB they draft can lead to years of domination.

But in the short term, they might be the fourth best team in the NFC West next year.

When you say the defense is about to get worse, you mean from the prior season or compared to 2019?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

I had that same question lol 

I mean anything is possible and we are losing to Saleh, so maybe it was because of that? If we get another reliable CB, I'm going to be pretty bullish on the defense. I just can't trust Verrett to stay healthy two years in a row. Last season was all but a miracle that everyone kept getting hurt........Except him lol. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:23 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

So obviously last Friday the 49ers shook up the draft and NFL world by trading two future first rounders to get to #3 to draft one of the top QBs. Some questions:

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)? You have to take Fields at #3, imo.

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one? I would try to trade him if I could, first.

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo? If I'm the Niners? I wouldn't take less than a 3rd Rd pick. Because the Niners will probably net a 3rd Rd compensatory pick for letting him walk when he's a FA. Why trade him for less than that?

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? Nope

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs? Don't believe so at this time.

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? They can probably miss the playoffs this year only, before the heat starts to boil.

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? No way, do I make the trade they did. They've all but telegraphed what & probably who their taking at #3. If the Jets aren't taking a QB? They could possibly trade down to a team that wants the QB Niners are intending to take. But even if the Niners know they will land their target, they paid a hefty price for it. Their move smelled of desperation & not calculation, imo.

You don't have to answer all these questions, but just curious to hear some outside perspective on things Niners fans have been debating since the trade was made.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

1. Fields only at third overall or Wilson is the Jets take Fields.

2 & 3. Trade Jimmy G if you get a second or better only. 

4. Less likely than before. Everyone needs to stay healthier than before.

5. With Fields only. He is good on the big stage. No other rookie QB would work for them to win a Super Bowl year one including playoff choker Lawrence.

6. With Fields they wouldn't lose but he is good enough that if for some reason injuries hit hard two years in a row and they are mediocre record-wise then the regime would have at minimum 2022 to figure it out. With Jones as the rookie QB in this situation I think they might get the hook next year. With Lance or Wilson I think the current Niners regime would probably have an extra year like with Fields.

7. No, too much. I would have targeted Atlanta or Philadelphia for a trade up and taken whoever is left from Kyle Pitts, Jaycee Horn, Michah Parsons, or Penei Sewell.

Isn't Lawrence 1-1 in National Championships?

I think with the coaching the 49ers have, it would be best to go with Trey Lance. That could really end up being a Favre/Mahomes like move from them if they get it right. I was watching some highlights from him on TV since I am pretty close to where he goes to college yeah. He has the physical tools and with the coaching the 9ers have, I think it would be the best bet. 

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)? Fields

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one? Jimmy G

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo? 2nd Plus Day 3 Pick

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? Yes if Defense and RBs stay Healthy

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs? See Above

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 2-3 Years Dont really want another Darnold on our hands let the QB develop Under 1 HC and OC

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? Stay at 12 and pray to god that Kittle and Co can stay healthy and rock with Jimmy G for atleast one more year

• Like 1

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)?   Fields, then Lance.

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?   No.

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?  A 2nd.

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB?   Not anymore.

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?   Fields, yes, Lance, no way in 2021.  

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 2-3.

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route?  OK with trade, Watson would have been the Holy Grail, but can't count they'll have an opp like this.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:23 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

So obviously last Friday the 49ers shook up the draft and NFL world by trading two future first rounders to get to #3 to draft one of the top QBs. Some questions:

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)?

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? 

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? 

You don't have to answer all these questions, but just curious to hear some outside perspective on things Niners fans have been debating since the trade was made.

1. Draft Fields.

2. Keep Jimmy. Wait for him to get injured. (Unless somebody offers a great trade.)

3. Two thirds

4. A chance? Yes. A good chance? No.

5. Same answer.

6. One.

7. I'd have made the trade.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this. If you have a QB whisperer such as Shanahan, you bank on them taking someone with incredible upside and getting the most out of them.

Andy Reid could have looked at the body of work from Deshaun Watson and went in that direction, but he saw the near unlimited upside of Patrick Mahomes and banked on his ability to coach - and it paid off in spades. Reid could have probably gotten similar results out of Watson, but I don't think he'd get the EXACT results as he's gotten out of Mahomes.

If you're San Francisco, bet on Shanahan's unique ability to coach up a QB and go with the unlimited upside that is Trey Lance (or Justin Fields, if we're being honest). 

I don't really get this. Why is it accepted that Lance has a higher ceiling? Fields is 6'3" 227 pounds with 4.4 flat speed, a strong arm, and great accuracy. 

• Like 1