49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

On 3/31/2021 at 7:23 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

So obviously last Friday the 49ers shook up the draft and NFL world by trading two future first rounders to get to #3 to draft one of the top QBs. Some questions:

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)?

Not really a fan of any of them but if i had to choose, I'd take Fields.

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

Yes and i also want to see him perform for a whole season and I'd love for him to have success.

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?

I don't know.. whatever you can get out of it.. to bad Bob isn't around anymore.

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? 

Yes, i do. He was part of a Team that got us to the SB.. he can surely do it again. BTW: There is no QB that can GUARANTEE you a SB win. A QB is just a piece of a puzzle that needs to fit together to win it all.. period.

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?

Realistic? I don't know .. maybe. Again.. QB is just a part of a team.. everything has to fit and everything is possible just like it is possible for the Dolphins not to make the playoffs and the Texans win it all. We'll see.

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 

From day one i have absolute faith in what KS and JL are doing. The moment they took over we started playing better Football even when we sucked it was a lot better. Last year we left it all on the field given how many player we were missing. If we choose to start a rookie QB they can miss the first year, the second he will have to deliver.

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? 

No i would not have done this deal. If they really didn't want to start Jimmy or were looking for a potential new starter, I would have given Rosen the chance to redeem himself.  Personally i don't think Rosen is worse than Fields/Lance/Jones.

Like i said, i am chill about this because i trust the FO. I am aware that they are humans and can make mistakes, we will see. But it is all to easy for us here to pick a name and say "That's the guy i want" ... but who is doing the work? Interviewing old coaches, family etc.. talking to those guys and see their mindset. Coming together with all the coaches and brainstorming. None of us are doing  those kind of jobs, so i do trust Kyle.  Maybe the one I would like to see absolutely doesn't fit in the locker. I really don't want a Haskins or Money Manziel.

On 4/4/2021 at 8:00 AM, FrantikRam said:

2019. That seems to be what most people are comparing to since last year had historic injuries.

Got it, I mean that team had insane talent had a historical pass defense....by the stats. I don't this defense can get to that level but they were still ranked in the top 5-6 on almost all the major categories last season and that was without Bosa. Health will be very important as always but the defense is going to be stingy again. Just have a cheat code at LB in coverage in Warner and our safeties are super disciplined. If Verrett gets hurt though, that could be a huge blow. That's why another corner is badly needed. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:33 AM, Johnny Nix said:

Take Fields. Would make that offense electric

Would not mind that one bit. Very likely that any of the three QBs will end up being good/successful with Shanahan but Jones is the one I least want. Lance or Fields for me. 

On 4/4/2021 at 10:29 AM, brownie man said:

Draft Fields

start Jimmy

trade Jimmy for whatever you can get to whoever you can get at the deadline if Fields is ready. 

if Fields is not ready 

If your winning keep Jimmy

If your losing trade Jimmy and sign Alex Smith 

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

except the 'your', but we'll let that slide.

Fields definitely has flaws, but I don't buy the narrative that his processing is a problem because he's limited.    And to wit - it's not an aptitude issue.   Witness...

A 130 is basically off the charts learning aptitude.    It's not just a numeric score, it's based on percentile - so a 130 score puts him in the 99th percentile of athletes.    The top 1 percent in learning aptitude.

Now, let's be clear - intelligence doesn't mean when facing pressure, the right decision will get made.  But Fields has the visuospatial skills, intelligence and aptitude to learn and adjust.  He's in the top 1 percent of all athletes there.  When you add in his physical talent, man, I just don't see Mac Jones over Justin Fields.   Ever.

I'll believe SF is going Mac Jones over Fields when the pick is announced.    If that happens, and ATL wants Lance, then yes, I'd be all over a move up by DEN with CIN, DET, whoever.    I just think Fields represents the new era of QB play...and while I think it's fair to see he hasn't had to get through 2nd/3rd reads that often enough to know how well he can do it - it's another to suggest he's limited in this area.      His ceiling is literally limitless, and he's had college success against major competition.  Is he perfect?  Nope, very few are.  But he's a legit franchise, top 5 ceiling guy.   I'd rather have the certainty of Watson, but now that it's off the table - I'm more than OK if Fields is available to Denver.   But I'll believe that's possible only once the SF pick is in without his name on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Fields definitely has flaws, but I don't buy the narrative that his processing is a problem because he's limited.    And to wit - it's not an aptitude issue.   Witness...

A 130 is basically off the charts learning aptitude.    It's not just a numeric score, it's based on percentile - so a 130 score puts him in the 99th percentile of athletes.    The top 1 percent in learning aptitude.

Now, let's be clear - intelligence doesn't mean when facing pressure, the right decision will get made.  But Fields has the visuospatial skills, intelligence and aptitude to learn and adjust.  He's in the top 1 percent of all athletes there.  When you add in his physical talent, man, I just don't see Mac Jones over Justin Fields.   Ever.

I'll believe SF is going Mac Jones over Fields when the pick is announced.    If that happens, and ATL wants Lance, then yes, I'd be all over a move up by DEN with CIN, DET, whoever.    I just think Fields represents the new era of QB play...and while I think it's fair to see he hasn't had to get through 2nd/3rd reads that often enough to know how well he can do it - it's another to suggest he's limited in this area.      His ceiling is literally limitless, and he's had college success against major competition.  Is he perfect?  Nope, very few are.  But he's a legit franchise, top 5 ceiling guy.   I'd rather have the certainty of Watson, but now that it's off the table - I'm more than OK if Fields is available to Denver.   But I'll believe that's possible only once the SF pick is in without his name on it.

Prepare for the Mac Attack by the Bay! 

Top 30 Mac Jones GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Aptitude tests have little correlation with being a good football player. Not saying anything particular about Fields, but being smart outside football just doesn't seem to actually correlate with on field performance. And being dumb off the field doesn't seem to prohibit a number of players, including QB's, from succeeding.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Aptitude tests have little correlation with being a good football player. Not saying anything particular about Fields, but being smart outside football just doesn't seem to actually correlate with on field performance. And being dumb off the field doesn't seem to prohibit a number of players, including QB's, from succeeding.

For normal aptitude / intelligence tests, yes.   But the AIQ is geared towards athletic performance.   It’s not the end all and be all - it’s just a tool in the process.   But it’s a far more objective one to assess cognitive ability.  

Obviously it’s meaningless without athletic skill.  And it’s not predictive of variables like processing under direct pressure.  But the idea Fields is limited cognitively to improve on his read progression is far from a given.   Seeing what Fields can do, the ceiling his skill set offers, I’d have no hesitation going there over Mac Jones every time.   In this league safe floor isn’t enough anymore. 

Edited by Broncofan

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It would be an extremely hard pill to swallow watching my team pass on what I consider to be a no-brainer pick for a franchise QB, but it’d be even worse as a person that lives in Denver watching him go to The Broncos. I don’t see any logical reason the Niners would pass on Fields, but I guess we’ll see what happens.

• Like 1