49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Fields definitely has flaws, but I don't buy the narrative that his processing is a problem because he's limited.    And to wit - it's not an aptitude issue.   Witness...

A 130 is basically off the charts learning aptitude.    It's not just a numeric score, it's based on percentile - so a 130 score puts him in the 99th percentile of athletes.    The top 1 percent in learning aptitude.

A wonderlic test score has zero bearing on whether a college player is going to work out in the NFL or not.  Why is this still a thing in 2021?

Processing a problem on a piece of paper just to complete a test is totally different from processing information on the field at an instant second in real-time when your career and teammates depend on it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the perfect example of this.  He's a Harvard graduate who scored a near perfect score (48) while Peyton Manning allegedly scored a mere 28. 

https://www.insidehook.com/article/sports/wonderlic-test-predict-quarterbacks-nfl-success

https://footballiqscore.com/wonderlic-score-database/peyton-manning

Edited by JAF-N72EX

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The wonderlic score should be disregarded completely.  It's just one of those small things that people mention about a player to make them look better than they are.

I have never put any stock into it whatsoever. 

What even is it? Like an IQ test?

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

A wonderlic test score has zero bearing on whether a college player is going to work out in the NFL or not.  Why is this still a thing in 2021?

Processing a problem on a piece of paper just to complete a test is totally different from processing information on the field at an instant second in real-time when your career and teammates depend on it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the perfect example of this.  He's a Harvard graduate who scored a near perfect score (48) while Peyton Manning allegedly scored a mere 28. 

https://www.insidehook.com/article/sports/wonderlic-test-predict-quarterbacks-nfl-success

https://footballiqscore.com/wonderlic-score-database/peyton-manning

Did you even read the link?     The AIQ isn't the Wonderlic - it's actually a complex, metric-based analysis of cognitive function.  Its aim is to quantify the cognitive/perceptual skills needed for athletes - and NOT academic knowledge (which is what Wonderlic does).  AIQ doesn't try to measure academic knowledge, but actually objectively measures things athletes use to process on the field, like:

-Reaction time

-Visual recognition and processing

-Spatial recogntion

-Processing time

Are you suggesting those skills aren't important, or were you simply lumping Wonderlic (which is a simple test of academic knowledge) out of ignorance of the measure, much like using a bench press instead of SPARQ?  Again - it's not a simple paper academic intelligence test.   And unlike Wonderlic, it's actually validated in prediction.     This also explains very nicely the actual test itself, which is more than a simple paper test.    It's actually been validated across many sports with over 6,000 athletes, but football is a more recent phenomenon, being studied first in 2012, and published in the past 2-3 years.

https://openventio.org/wp-content/uploads/The-Athletic-Intelligence-Quotient-and-Performance-in-the-National-Football-League-SEMOJ-6-180.pdf

AIQ isn't a tool that's the end-all and be-all - but much like RAS is a much better indicator of athletic ability vs. bench press, AIQ measures an athlete's cognitive ability to learn sport skills to a more nuanced degree.   Your response suggests you're not really aware of AIQ .   Again, it's not the end-all and be-all - but much like how Next-Gen stats and RAS improve our understanding of athletic skill - AIQ provides a far better indicator of the cognitive skills football players need.    To dismiss it the same way as Wonderlic shows an outdated perspective - AIQ was developed because of the recognition Wonderlic isn't useful.

16 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The AIQ isn't the Wonderlic

You're right, it's not.  But it's a glorified version of it.  AIQ is still nothing more than a measurement based test that relies on results printed out on a piece of paper and doesn't take into account of real-time situations.  It's still just a piece of paper filled with results based on a test that has no bearing on whether they will succeed or not. That's my point.

There are people who are good at tests but absolutely suck at their profession. Then there are people who suck at tests but are excellent at what they do.  I don't know about you, but I was the former.  Put any test in front of me, and chances are, I'm gonna fail it.  But put me in the real world and let me show you what can I do, and I will prove to you that the failed test was not indicative of what I can actually do in my field.  A good work ethic and the ability to learn from your mistakes and others will take you further than any test will.  The same with NFL players.

There are lazy college players who become too content when they get drafted in the 1st round and don't wanna put in the work to get better.  And then there are late round college players who are willing to put in the work to learn and get better.  Neither of which can be measured by a piece of paper.

AIQ doesn't try to measure academic knowledge, but actually objectively measures things athletes use to process on the field, like:

-Reaction time

-Visual recognition and processing

-Spatial recogntion

-Processing time

Are you suggesting those skills aren't important

Okay, cool. That's great and all, but it doesn't mean anything to me until I actually see it on the field and there isn't a single paper test out there that can give me that sort of info. 

A middle-aged news reporter scored higher on AIQ test than the average athlete did.  What does that tell you? Why should I put any stock in AIQ or the wonderlic tests?

Edited by JAF-N72EX

14 hours ago, Danger said:

Their GM should be fire if they gave up 3 firsts for BigMac Joned

As much crap as I give lynch, this isn't on him. This is all shannys baby. 

The thing is, Mac will likely be successful with him. So he's not going to. But I don't know how you're not always looking at fields or Lance, even if they bust, and wondering what if

3 hours ago, Forge said:

As much crap as I give lynch, this isn't on him. This is all shannys baby. 

The thing is, Mac will likely be successful with him. So he's not going to. But I don't know how you're not always looking at fields or Lance, even if they bust, and wondering what if

I can't tell if you'd be pssd if you drafted Jones or not? I can tell some of you will be....mentioning no names, N4L...

Adam Schefter was on a podcast recently and said the Niners plan is to draft Mac & keep Jimmy? Thats probably the worst possible outcome. You draft a low ceiling but ready to play QB yet keep him on the bench (initially) for an oft-injured & mediocre QB with a $25 mil cap hit? Thats insane to me, yet that seems like a realistic option....

What i would do - draft Fields, trade Jimmy for whatever you can get (and pocket that $25 mil cap space with like $2 mil of dead money), and trade a mid rounder for Minshew as a quality backup 

Edited by 49ersfan

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I can't tell if you'd be pssd if you drafted Jones or not? I can tell some of you will be....mentioning no names, N4L...

Oh, I think it'd be dumb as hell and for about a week I'm going to spew an emotional tantrum about it and probably mock the team and shanny constantly during that time frame. I'd be a Texas accent shy of going full @ET80. But I'm a heat of the moment type person...before it and after it subsides, I'm largely fine. I think that any of these guys would be successful with Shanny because I have that much respect for Shanny as an offensive mind. That's also the exact reason I would never, ever take Jones here. This selection would never make sense to me in a vacuum, but  I think he'll be fine and I completely understand how it makes sense for Shanny, even if I would never make this choice myself. 

If Shanny picks jones, which is something I have never and will never discount the possibility of, it just tells me a lot about Shanny to be honest and what was most important to him as a coach moving forward, which is totally fine. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be a Texas accent shy of going full @ET80

Ironically... I don't have a Texas accent. People have placed it more northwest, very "non-regional" overall, as described by others.

I actually used to be the voice of the Conoco Phillips Credit Card VRU in college. I worked Customer Service for them in college, and my supervisor liked my voice, so I got a $300 bonus to do all of the prompts.

For English, press 1. Para Espanol, oprima Cinco.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Ironically... I don't have a Texas accent. People have placed it more northwest, very "non-regional" overall, as described by others.

I actually used to be the voice of the Conoco Phillips Credit Card VRU in college. I worked Customer Service for them in college, and my supervisor liked my voice, so I got a $300 bonus to do all of the prompts.

For English, press 1. Para Espanol, oprima Cinco.

So we are the same. I've lived in like 18 states all over the country and also have a very non regional dialect (though still use regional vocabulary). 

I've gone full ET. 

FF will break. 

• Like 1