FFMD II 2021 - Detroit Lions War Room (Part 2)

TL-TwoWinsAway

ee60efd771e1070d52d044596267e7b3.jpg

Hello and welcome to the 2021 FFMD II Detroit Lions Front Office!

We got off to an interesting start, but I'm confident that this group can turn this thing around.

A few notes:

• If you have any questions about the rules, please reference the FFMD 21 Discussion Thread
  • The full draft order is available for view - and will be maintained on - the 2021 - FFMD II Draft Board. It's a fantastic resource that exists solely due to the hard work of @ny92mike. I'll be posting updates in this thread, but feel free to reference it whenever you'd like more information.
  • For this team, every single member of the forum gets a vote on every single decision, and every vote is equal. If you vote, it counts. I will not vote on a decision unless the vote is tied and requires a tiebreaker. This isn't "my" mock... it's ours.
  • If we need assistance, our go-to mod is @Ragnarok.

I have created a coded prospect list. If you'd like to receive a copy, let me know and I'll happily send one over. If I send you one, I'll add your name to my list of participants, and I'll send each participant a private message when a decision must be voted on.

Most importantly, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We nailed this last year: not because we earned the "best draft" and "best war room" awards (among others), but because we had a great time doing it. Lets do it again!

- TL

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 2

DETROIT LIONS FINAL DEPTH CHART

Green = draft selection / Blue = trade acquisition / Orange = UDFA signing

Offense:

QB: Jared Goff, Tim Boyle, Kellen Mond
RB: D'Andre Swift, Jamaal Williams, Kerryon Johnson, Nate McCrary
WR: Michael Gallup, Tyrell Williams, D'Wayne Eskridge, Breshad Perriman, Damion Ratley, Quintez Cephus, Kalif Raymond, Marlon Williams, Jonathan Adams Jr
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Josh Hill, Hunter Bryant
LT: Taylor Decker, Matt Nelson
LG: Jonah Jackson, Logan Stenberg
C Frank Ragnow, Evan Brown
RG: Halapoulivaati VaitaiLarry Borom
RT: Penei SewellFoster Sarell

Defense:

DE: Trey Flowers, Romeo Okwara, Carlos "Boogie" Basham, Charles Harris, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant, Darius Hodge
DT: Michael Brockers, Derrick Nnadi, Nick Williams, Da'Shawn Hand, John Penisini, Darius Stills
OLB: Jamie Collins, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Shaun Dion Hamilton 
MLB: Alex Anzalone, Jahlani Tavai
CB: Amani Oruwariye, Quinton Dunbar, Asante Samuel Jr., Corn Elder, Mike Ford, Shemar Jean-Charles, Bryce Thompson
S: Tracy Walker, Dean Marlowe, Talanoa Hufanga, Will Harris, Darrick Forrest

Special Teams:

K: Randy Bullock
P: Jack Fox
LS: Don "Motherfreakin'" Muhlbach

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

DRAFT PICKS

Pick (Overall - TVC Value) - Date and Time of Selection

Pick 1.7 (#7) - Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
Pick 2.9 (#41) - Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State
Pick 2.11 (#43) - Carlos "Boogie" Basham Jr., DE, Wake Forest
Pick 3.38 (#101) - D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Michigan
Pick 4.7 (#113) - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M
Pick 5.32 (#177) - Talanoa Hufanga, S, USC
Pick 6.33 (#217) - Darius Stills, DT, West Virginia (NFL_Fan's sleeper pick)
Pick 7.8 (#236 - 1.8) - Marlon Williams, WR, Central Florida (Louis Friend's sleeper pick)

UDFA SIGNINGS

1. Darrick Forrest, S, Cincinnati
2. Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State
3. Foster Sarell, OT, Stanford
4. Darius Hodge, DE/3-4OLB, Marshall
5. Bryce Thompson, CB, Tennessee
6. Jonathan Adams Jr, WR, Arkansas State
7. Nate McCrary, RB, Saginaw Valley
8. Larry Borom, IOL, Missouri

trade-value-chart.jpg

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

TRADES

Detroit Lions receive: Pick #75, Michael Gallup, WR (signs a 3 year, $27M extension with the Detroit Lions)
Dallas Cowboys receive: Jeff Okudah, CB

Detroit Lions receive: Pick #43
San Francisco 49ers receive: Picks #72 and #75

Detroit Lions receive: DT Derrick Nnadi
Kansas City Chiefs receive: OT Tyrell Crosby

Detroit Lions receive: Pick #162 and Pick #236
Buffalo Bills receivePick #154 

Detroit Lions receive: Pick #177 and Pick #217
Tampa Bay Buccaneers receive: Pick #162

DRAFT SELECTIONS

Pick 1.7 (#7) : The Detroit Lions walk Run CARTWHEEL up to the podium
1182182596-850x560.jpeg
To select the #1 player on our board
Penei-Sewell-0x0_c.jpg
The highest graded OT by our scouting team since Joe Thomas in 2007
zmnxrtbb92j16qbbaazu.jpg
6'6", 330 pounds, out of the University of Oregon
10191424.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off
PENEI SEWELL
KF3IJKPRO5DCBGHGPUVRHMPS5Q.JPG
In our rebuilding scheme, this is a cornerstone piece who will probably start out at RT opposite Taylor Decker, giving us an excellent pair of tackles, but in time will almost certainly be the anchor of our OL for many years to come. Size, talent, character, Sewell has got it all and we're overjoyed to add him to our team.

(Pick #41) : After Jeffrey Okudah's sudden and unexpected "trade demands" (something about not wanting to eat kneecaps), and the lack of living, breathing bodies at the position, we knew that we had to address the CB position at some point in the draft. Asante Samuel Jr. was a guy that the Lions' staff had an interest in from the beginning, and the combination of fit and talent makes him a hard prospect to pass on here. He'll join Amani Oruwariye and the electric, dynamic (checks roster)... Mike Ford... to help jumpstart the Lions' defensive rebuild.  

D-0028 ASANTE SAMUEL JR, CB, FLORIDA STATE

Samuel-Kneecaps.jpg

(Pick #43) : The second round draft debate within the Lions' War Room centered (primarily) around two players, so, when the opportunity arose for us to grab them both, we couldn't pass it up. We love Boogie's upside and movement for such a big frame, and, after re-signing Romeo Okwara and acquiring Michael Brockers, are hoping that he can provide us with another dynamic weapon along the D-Line.

D-0071 CARLOS "BOOGIE" BASHAM JR, DE, WAKE FOREST

Basham-Kneecap.jpg

(Pick #102) : After the departure of Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr. and Danny Amendola in free agency, it's no secret that the Lions needed to add weapons at wide receiver. Sewell's first round "fall" took that option off the table with Pick #7, but Eskridge is a guy that our staff has liked from the beginning. We expect him to see time in the slot with Michael Gallup and Tyrell Williams striking fear into opposing cornerbacks on the outside. (As an added bonus: he has experience playing CB, and we need those too.)

D-0100 D'WAYNE ESKRIDGE, WR, WESTERN MICHIGAN

Eskridge-Kneecaps.jpg

(Pick #113) : The Lions are going to swing for the fences here. With Goff locked in as the starter for two years, we've decided to add a legitimate developmental piece to the QB position. It's very likely that Mond is drafted well before the 4th round in April, and, with the Lions' young supporting cast, we think it may prove to be a quality situation for a young QB when (and if) he's ready to take over. If not, we've got future picks aplenty.

D-0250 KELLEN MOND, QB, TEXAS A&M

Mond-Kneecaps.jpg

(Pick #177) : The Detroit Lions select D-0390 TALANOA HUFANGA, S, USC

Talanoa Hufanga has become USC's safety net on defense - Los Angeles Times

(Pick #217) : For his sleeper pick, @NFL_Fan of the Detroit Lions selects D-0107 DARIUS STILLS, DT, WEST VIRGINIA

2021 Chiefs Draft Prospect: Darius Stills - Full Press Coverage

(Pick #236) : For his sleeper pick, @Louis Friend of the Detroit Lions selects D-0287 MARLON WILLIAMS, WR, CENTRAL FLORIDA

Marlon Williams, Mobile native, says he's 'played his last game' at UCF -  al.com

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

Announcement: as discovered upon review of the official Okudah/Gallup trade paperwork, and as part of the terms of the trade, Michael Gallup has agreed to a 3 year, $27M contract extension with the Detroit Lions. This extremely reasonable deal puts him in the fringe top 25 of WR contracts. (This was approved by EaglesPeteC.)

It doesn't void that deal, but it's something.

3 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Announcement: as discovered upon review of the official Okudah/Gallup trade paperwork, and as part of the terms of the trade, Michael Gallup has agreed to a 3 year, $27M contract extension with the Detroit Lions. This extremely reasonable deal puts him in the fringe top 25 of WR contracts. (This was approved by EaglesPeteC.)

It doesn't void that deal, but it's something.

Please send me a list of the prospects. We should also work out some core position key words so that we can openly talk about positional needs without giving away potential picks/targeted prospects. 

WR Terrace Marshall

WR Racey McMath

• Vertical Jump: 34
  • Broad Jump: 10-4
  • Bench Press: DNP

DT Tyler Shelvin

• Vertical Jump: 28 1/2
  • Broad Jump: 8-1
  • Bench Press: DNP

DB Kary Vincent

• Vertical Jump: 35.5
  • Broad Jump: 9-9
  • Bench Press: 8

DB Kary Vincent

• 40-yard dash: 4.33
  • Pro Agility Drill
  • 3-Cone Drill
  • 60-yard shuttle

WR Ja'Marr Chase

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We should also work out some core position key words so that we can openly talk about positional needs without giving away potential picks/targeted prospects. 

I agree completely. One thing that has worked well in the past is referring to a [insert number from coded list]'s position. Like: "we really need someone from 63's position". I could remake the prospect list and add something like that at the top, but it might confuse things.