Week 7: Seattle Seahawks @ New York Giants

Acgott

On 10/23/2017 at 1:14 PM, GmenSeattle said:

Where does Saquon get us? :)

Purgatory.  A situation where we can win 5 to 8 games per year.  Not good enough for playoffs, not bad enough to get our next franchise quarterback.  

My opinion is that if you have a 37 year old quarterback and you’re picking in the top 5, you draft a quarterback.  It’s been a great ride with Eli and we will see him in Canton, but we need to look towards the future.  

6 hours ago, Gmen said:

My opinion is that if you have a 37 year old quarterback and you’re picking in the top 5, you draft a quarterback.  It’s been a great ride with Eli and we will see him in Canton, but we need to look towards the future

Yes it’s time for the future, but the league has shown you don’t need a top 5 QB to win the Super Bowl. They should go BPA with reason. If that is a QB, then so be it.

10 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Then you will blame Jerry Reese in two years for not addressing the OL.

Jerry Reese wont be here in 2 years.

Who was the last top-5 pick OL who was actually a perennial pro bowl player? Joe Thomas? Trent Williams? You pick BPA, and there are about 3 QBs and a runningback better than any OL this upcoming draft. You have a better chance at getting a Luke Joeckel or Matt Kalil than getting a Thomas or Williams, especially with this current scouting department and management doing the evaluations.

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

Yes it’s time for the future, but the league has shown you don’t need a top 5 QB to win the Super Bowl. They should go BPA with reason. If that is a QB, then so be it.

You may not need a top 5 QB, but you'd better have one that's top 10 and i'm not sure a 37 year old Eli is that.  A 38 year old Eli definitely won't be that.

I like watching Saquon Barkley play.  He's very exciting.  But who was the last star RB to lead his team deep into the playoffs?  Shawn Alexander in 2005?  Adrian Peterson is a future HOFer and as dominant of a RB as I've seen, but his teams are always MIA in January.  Meanwhile, the top QBs of the past decade all have rings.  Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Ben, Eli.  The only ones that didn't get one are Rivers and Romo.  I don't think I'm overestimating the need for a top tier QB.

15 minutes ago, Gmen said:

You may not need a top 5 QB, but you'd better have one that's top 10 and i'm not sure a 37 year old Eli is that.  A 38 year old Eli definitely won't be that.

I like watching Saquon Barkley play.  He's very exciting.  But who was the last star RB to lead his team deep into the playoffs?  Shawn Alexander in 2005?  Adrian Peterson is a future HOFer and as dominant of a RB as I've seen, but his teams are always MIA in January.  Meanwhile, the top QBs of the past decade all have rings.  Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Ben, Eli.  The only ones that didn't get one are Rivers and Romo.  I don't think I'm overestimating the need for a top tier QB.

Ohhhhh, I think we all have to have Faith in Eli- look at all the 37-year-old-plus immobile QB's that have starred in the playoffs over the years! Why, right off the top of my head, I can name George Blanda, not so long ago! And, uh, and, uh................................................................- well, I'm  pretty sure there were some others!

And, as far as star running backs leading their teams DEEP into the playoffs,  didn't the Indianapolis Colts ride the churning legs of Trent Richardson to the very brink of the Super Bowl, what was it, 2013? 2014? - What? Neither one?!? Oh, okay, then- guess you were right!

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

My point is we shouldn’t reach for a QB. Football is a team game. 

9 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Jerry Reese wont be here in 2 years.

Who was the last top-5 pick OL who was actually a perennial pro bowl player? Joe Thomas? Trent Williams? You pick BPA, and there are about 3 QBs and a runningback better than any OL this upcoming draft. You have a better chance at getting a Luke Joeckel or Matt Kalil than getting a Thomas or Williams, especially with this current scouting department and management doing the evaluations.

Ok that's fair take BPA, but don't take a freaking RB that's for sure. 

10 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Ok that's fair take BPA, but don't take a freaking RB that's for sure. 

If he is BPA, which he very well might be, then yeah you take him. If teams fell in love with Zeke in the pre-draft process, wait until you hear how much teams are gonna love Barkley. He's a generational prospect. 

I'm actually not opposed to drafting a running back in the first round.  I supported the idea of drafting Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Eliot (before the draft process).  But, I wouldn't draft one over a QB at this point.  I think not drafting a QB is just delaying the inevitable rebuilding process.  Unless... the Giants believe in Davis Webb.

15 hours ago, minutemancl said:

If he is BPA, which he very well might be, then yeah you take him. If teams fell in love with Zeke in the pre-draft process, wait until you hear how much teams are gonna love Barkley. He's a generational prospect. 

Zeke plays behind an all world o-line. We do not. If there is a Tackle worth being taken in the top 5 then you take him over any RB. I'd honestly I'd invest anywhere on the LOS. Take a QB? Not a chance. If anything we should trade down if we're top 3.

Archived