Jump to content

Worst Off-Season Move?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

I think that the Drake deal might be the most mind boggling one, but given the size of the deal, it's not going to be the most damaging to a team. I'll say Bud Dupree

Quote

 In 2021, Drake will earn a base salary of $1,250,000 and a roster bonus of $1,750,000,

That's not bad whatsoever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Texans ruining their relationship with their franchise QB is the obvious one.

I don't like the Raiders dismantling their OL. I mean, as a Chiefs fan I like it. But they basically took the one unit on that roster that you've been able to say the past few years was set, and tore it apart.

And I'm sure it'll work out better than I think because Belichick, but some of the Patriots offseason signings have felt like they're signing guys because they have money and may as well spend it somehow. Getting Van Noy and Karras back makes perfect sense. I really like Hunter Henry, when healthy. But does anyone buy Judon? Is Jonnu Smith a $12M value as a second TE? Bourne and Agholor just seem like more mediocrity at WR. It just seems like a lot of poor value deals. Even if they were roster upgrades, in many places, the performance I'd expect isn't going to match the money paid out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Riftty said:

Lions taking Goff. It helped us greatly but the lions taking a crappy QB like Goff with that contract is a bad move for the franchise. 

I don't even expect Goff to be in the NFL in a few years. 

Bad take. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Bad take. 

Not really. Your love for scrub boy is just clouding your vision. Dude is trash, if you watched him play the last two years he was just terrible.

Those games against the 49ers and Miami are just inexcusable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Riftty said:

Not really. Your love for scrub boy is just clouding your vision. Dude is trash, if you watched him play the last two years he was just terrible.

Those games against the 49ers and Miami are just inexcusable.

Last season was Goff's worst of his career according to EPA per play (as the #23 ranked starting QB). Prior to that, he'd ranked #16, #10, and #6. Basically, prior to last season, Goff had been anywhere from a good starting QB to an average starting QB over the prior three years. Even in his worst year, he was not among the worst starting QBs. Simply put, your take is ignorant and silly. Oh, I almost forgot. Here are Matt Stafford's rankings in EPA per play over the last four years: #14, #4, #22, and #12. 

You can be bitter and angry. It's not unusual for our fanbase. I remember the way a segment of our fanbase trashed Kurt Warner back in the day. But the idea that the Lions did us a favor by taking Goff or that he was a trash player who didn't belong on a NFL field is simply laughable. The Lions received an average starting QB who still has potential. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Last season was Goff's worst of his career according to EPA per play (as the #23 ranked starting QB). Prior to that, he'd ranked #16, #10, and #6. Basically, prior to last season, Goff had been anywhere from a good starting QB to an average starting QB over the prior three years. Even in his worst year, he was not among the worst starting QBs. Simply put, your take is ignorant and silly. Oh, I almost forgot. Here are Matt Stafford's rankings in EPA per play over the last four years: #14, #4, #22, and #12. 

You can be bitter and angry. It's not unusual for our fanbase. I remember the way a segment of our fanbase trashed Kurt Warner back in the day. But the idea that the Lions did us a favor by taking Goff or that he was a trash player who didn't belong on a NFL field is simply laughable. The Lions received an average starting QB who still has potential. 

I am bitter with Goff. He is the reason we don't have a superbowl period. Did he have some above average years in 17 and 18? Yeah sure but then he got paid and started regressing. And Stafford is better, anyone with any kind of football knowledge can see that. 

If we had Stafford on last year's team with that defense and Akers popping off when he did. That's a superbowl. 

I'm rooting for Goff, I hope he does well. But let's not kid ourselves....the odds are stacked against him big time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Riftty said:

I am bitter with Goff. He is the reason we don't have a superbowl period. Did he have some above average years in 17 and 18? Yeah sure but then he got paid and started regressing. And Stafford is better, anyone with any kind of football knowledge can see that. 

If we had Stafford on last year's team with that defense and Akers popping off when he did. That's a superbowl. 

I'm rooting for Goff, I hope he does well. But let's not kid ourselves....the odds are stacked against him big time.

Stafford has never won a playoff game. You're unrealistic if you think Stafford would have guaranteed the 2020 Rams a Super Bowl. 2020 Stafford is better than 2020 Goff. But nobody can say with certainty how good 2021 Stafford or Goff will be.

As for you being bitter with Goff, that's pretty sad. We had zero winning seasons between 2004 and 2016. We had zero playoff appearances between 2005 and 2016. Goff led us to four straight winning seasons, three playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl appearance over the past four years. The dude helped lead our franchise out of a historically bad stretch to winning football.

And let's not kid ourselves, you're not rooting for Goff. 😂

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Raiders had they actually cut Rodney Hudson and Gabe Jackson, but they ended up getting like a 3rd and a 5th so it's not the end of the world. Gabe made sense as a cap move, not like a had to move, but it made sense and people have called it for the last couple years. Hudson requested to leave, and they ended up getting a 3rd. Cutting them both would have been bad, but that's not what ended up happening.

Houston should have pulled the trigger on a Watson deal if they really had offers for an insane haul. Jack Easterby has the influence, but Nick Casserio is a solid hire and an actual football mind and giving him the ammunition to assemble a talented team, even if it need be within the character standards of Easterby, would have been smart. Once you grant JJ Watt his release, which was the right thing to do instead of squeezing value out of the HOFer you weren't competing. Watson asking for a trade after not including him in the HC search is a massive PR hit regardless. If the Ravens WR Coach is really their dude, you gotta roll with it and if the QB won't play for him that's unfortunate but at least take the likely record breaking haul. A team like the Jets are going to pick somewhat early regardless if you trade them Watson because some of the years you own their 1st rounder the Bills and or Dolphins are making the playoffs over them. They could have likely even conditionally asked for more years of picks if the Jets were a playoff team over the immediate years. Once again though it's not a "move" it's a didn't happen so it doesn't really count.

I think the worst move is likely going to be Wentz trade or Goff+picks/Stafford trade depending on what doesn't work out for whatever team. If Wentz succeeds Philly looks dumb. If Goff outplays Stafford (which would likely be Goff being a fit to some degree and Stafford injury) then the Rams look bad for having no assets. Lions can't really look too bad though given Stafford wanted out and they also got two first round picks in addition to Goff. If the Colts playoff window somehow closes with a bust Wentz when the AFC South looks winnable that's a big potential oof though especially if there was any world of a QB like Wilson being an option (which I don't think really was an option).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Allowing your franchise to be defined by Jack Easterby. A guy like that is guaranteed to set in motion one despicable tactic after another. There is no chance Deshaun Watson would be in the news for anything non-football if Easterby didn't have that role.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Allowing your franchise to be defined by Jack Easterby. A guy like that is guaranteed to set in motion one despicable tactic after another. There is no chance Deshaun Watson would be in the news for anything non-football if Easterby didn't have that role.

I am not sure if this is true or not but I do know that most players on the 2020 Texans did not trust Jack Easterby and did not understand why he had power over anything.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There were a ton of horrid moves this off-season.  
 

San Francisco giving up half of their future for a #3 pick is ridiculous.  Genuinely believe they’re going to pay for it.

Watt going to Arizona was really dumb and had everybody believing he would go to a team where he could actually win a Super Bowl.  
 

The Goff-Stafford trade takes the cake though.  Even the way it started out was really asinine.  Detroit asks for Aaron Donald in exchange for Stafford, and if I were Los Angeles, I would have taken that as  disrespect.  Then Detroit’s like “ok we’ll take the QB” then, but LA still somehow finds a way to lose in the deal.  All they had to do was maybe offer some 3rd or 4th round picks but they gave up two 1st round picks.  You can kind of see how they were trying to lift Goff’s value in the trade, but they never had to offer that much.  And at the end of the day,  Stafford is only minimally better than Goff is.  It’s not like LA gave up two 1sts for Aaron Rodgers.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bears paying Andy Dalton decent money when they have a playoff team is mindboggling. 
 

Obviously, they tried to make a move for Russell. Bu there are better options out there. Especially Sam Darnold. Make a big swing at Garoppolo. Hell, make the Stafford trade a 3-way trade and try to get Goff. 
 

I really don’t see what they’re doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...