Fantasy: Congratulations! You've just been hired as the Ravens' new OC

AFlaccoSeagulls

I just want to have a little fun with something. In a complete fantasy world, you've just received the call that the Ravens are going to hire you as the new offensive coordinator, effective immediately. I would like to know, what do you do to change the offense and what kind of plays/schemes would you run?

Right now? Eh, I would take it slow with changing things. Need the offensive line to get healthy next season before really implementing massive changes. The current state is too pitiful to have any hope of making something out of nothing. Which is a legitimate excuse for Mornhinweg... if he wasn't terrible regardless. Like he was in the past. 

Going forward? Assuming Flacco is still around, which is almost certainly a given, then you need to build an offense around his strengths. Or rather his weaknesses. I do NOT want to see him throwing deep on a consistent basis. He doesn't have the touch or timing to get it done and this has been something happening throughout his career not just lately.

Unfortunately Joe isn't much of a quick-tempo guy either and doesn't make good reads soon enough unless a receiver is totally open. So you have to find that middle ground... which isn't ideal, but it is what it is. More shotgun, more routes going over the middle of the field creating misdirection and communication errors for the opposing secondary. Riskier for Flacco and his INT troubles, but necessary. 

Less running out of the base I-form. It's either a predictable running play or a pass with only two receivers and maybe a tight end to worry about covering. That's not good enough for the most part. The Ravens don't have and will not get elite playmakers at those positions in the near future so the offense needs crutches created by scheme to get moving.

Basically everything I said in support of Baltimore signing Eric Decker after they got Maclin still applies in this argument. More spread, more receiving routes actually utilized, and less simple running game. Of course that was before the string of offensive line injuries hit (as well as losing Pitta and more importantly Dixon), but like I said at the top I wouldn't make huge changes until the line is back in shape anyways. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 12:03 PM, coordinator0 said:

Right now? Eh, I would take it slow with changing things. Need the offensive line to get healthy next season before really implementing massive changes. The current state is too pitiful to have any hope of making something out of nothing. Which is a legitimate excuse for Mornhinweg... if he wasn't terrible regardless. Like he was in the past. 

Going forward? Assuming Flacco is still around, which is almost certainly a given, then you need to build an offense around his strengths. Or rather his weaknesses. I do NOT want to see him throwing deep on a consistent basis. He doesn't have the touch or timing to get it done and this has been something happening throughout his career not just lately.

Unfortunately Joe isn't much of a quick-tempo guy either and doesn't make good reads soon enough unless a receiver is totally open. So you have to find that middle ground... which isn't ideal, but it is what it is. More shotgun, more routes going over the middle of the field creating misdirection and communication errors for the opposing secondary. Riskier for Flacco and his INT troubles, but necessary. 

Less running out of the base I-form. It's either a predictable running play or a pass with only two receivers and maybe a tight end to worry about covering. That's not good enough for the most part. The Ravens don't have and will not get elite playmakers at those positions in the near future so the offense needs crutches created by scheme to get moving.

Basically everything I said in support of Baltimore signing Eric Decker after they got Maclin still applies in this argument. More spread, more receiving routes actually utilized, and less simple running game. Of course that was before the string of offensive line injuries hit (as well as losing Pitta and more importantly Dixon), but like I said at the top I wouldn't make huge changes until the line is back in shape anyways. 

Your point about Joe neither being a great deep ball guy (touch/accuracy-wise) nor a quick-temp guy is well taken.  Additionally, changing the system now would be a bad idea.  That said, I think we could re-focus the offense on quicker drop-set-throw type plays, rather than the incredibly slow developing stuff we've seen so much of.  Obviously the line is a concern, but the number of screens called seems to be a huge overcorrection.  Further there are a bunch of plays called where it seems the design is to throw a TE crossing route after like 7 seconds (something seems screwy with the design, rather than it being a Joe checking down thing, just my observation).  Just doesn't seem like a great plan overall.  I would rather like to see a lot more intermediate stuff where Joe is taking a 5 step drop and hitting a guy on a skinny post, or something like that.  We saw a bit of this in the Raiders game and it was great.  Also, if we can get Collins going, then the PA boot should be a staple.

Right now I just want to see him come back healthy, though.

Archived