Even more lazily slapped together Regular Season OT

Thelonebillsfan

12 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mejiafr01.shtml

Turns out he's pretty good at this catching thing and gambling on upside rather than banking on a couple fluke years being the norm works out for the Rays yet again.

At @ramssuperbowl99 remember when I relentlessly berated the Indians for trading a unicorn like him for Brad Hand, who Dolan decided to release to save $1 million this past season instead of even attempting to sell in a trade?

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

At @ramssuperbowl99 remember when I relentlessly berated the Indians for trading a unicorn like him for Brad Hand, who Dolan decided to release to save $1 million this past season instead of even attempting to sell in a trade?

On 7/19/2018 at 3:28 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thinking a 21 year old with a cannon arm, solid body for the position, and plenty of twitch can't be taught how to frame or call a game is silly. He has everything you can't teach, and the Indians had plenty of time to let him learn the rest of it. 

It's fine if you're okay trading him and you need the BP help. But this they didn't think he was a catcher argument needs to die.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:46 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:
On 7/19/2018 at 12:35 PM, malibuspeedrace said:

Mejia was blocked at C for the Indians due to the unfortunate LOVE for Roberto Perez’s game management ability & mejia never truly bought into playing Corner OF, which was his only path to the bigs currently

i can see why they made this move.....sucks losing our top prospect though.  Still thankful Lucroy blocked that trade though.

I mean tbh they have the best catching prospect in at least 5 years, maybe 10 and they can't find a spot for him. That's really dumb.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You deserve more than 1 like for this. I'm going to see if I can see my anger actually build in that thread. One second...I'm going to find some posts.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:39 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:
On 7/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, MWil23 said:

Lost Mejia. That’s steep. I’m honestly not thrilled. If it fixes their pen so that they can make a legit Series run then it will be worth it, but he’s my favorite prospect in a while, and great 2 way catching prospects are unicorns.

100% my take. This feels like the Shark-Hammel deal the A's and Cubs did where the Cubs bundled them both for a premium prospect.

Great 2 way catching prospects of the past 10 years are Meija, Posey, Wieters, maybe Ruiz, maybe Bart, maybe Contreras, maybe Alfaro, but that's about it. They're frickin impossible to find, and even if you pick one in the 1st round it's not a guarantee. (You could also argue Wil Myers and Bryce Harper, but to me that just kind of makes my point tbh.)

EDIT: You could also argue Blake Swihart but Dave Dombrowski killed him I think.

Just because I'm angry and petty, I'm going to continue to look through this thread.

On 7/19/2018 at 4:40 PM, MWil23 said:

It’s fine if you fellow Tribe fans are good with trading Mejia, but he’s an elite catching prospect. I mean, you guys do realize that Buster Posey was a freaking shortstop at Florida State, right?

*Old man yells at cloud gif*

On 7/19/2018 at 6:12 PM, MWil23 said:
On 7/19/2018 at 5:58 PM, buno67 said:

Well from the reports about how he has been stubborn about making The move to outfield, it changed the organization’s opinion about him. With how bad  The Indians outfield is  and he wasn’t getting called up, show something to me. I love a good prospect but I love trading good prospects for elite level pro players even more

I don’t fault him. He’s an elite catching prospect. We won’t agree here so I’m moving on.

Yeah, I'm actually not moving on

On 7/19/2018 at 6:31 PM, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I get it. Prospects are a crapshoot. See CC for LaPorta. Also sometimes elite prospects are so for a reason. See Barry Bonds, Griffey, etc. Hopefully we didn’t just trade Buster Posey for a pretty good reliever and another solid rookie reliever.

JMHO

LOL

On 7/19/2018 at 6:50 PM, MWil23 said:

No doubt about it they HAD to get relievers. It’s just hard to give up a unicorn two way catching prospect.

Remember, I'm moving on...

There's another 2 pages of me irrationally lashing out at multiple other posters, in which we ended on great terms via PM apologies...then this:

On 7/19/2018 at 10:26 PM, MWil23 said:

Back on topic...terrible trade for the Tribe from a value standpoint alone.

Let's come full circle and bring it home...

On 7/19/2018 at 10:34 PM, MWil23 said:
On 7/19/2018 at 10:28 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Lost Mejia. That’s steep. I’m honestly not thrilled. If it fixes their pen so that they can make a legit Series run then it will be worth it, but he’s my favorite prospect in a while, and great 2 way catching prospects are unicorns.

It reminds me of the story of Jack and the Beanstalk.

Just because you sell a beautiful prize cow for a bag of magic beans doesn’t make it the right decision.

*Old man yells at cloud gif*

On 7/19/2018 at 10:40 PM, MWil23 said:
On 7/19/2018 at 10:37 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Fun fact about that story: it's a made up fairy tale.

Correct, because unlike this trade it involved a unicorn and had a happy ending which rewarded the bad decision maker.

Bitter and angry sports meter at a solid 8.5/10 right now, but don't worry, I've left, until this:

On 7/20/2018 at 12:13 AM, FEARtheELF said:

This thread is basically two people who think Mejia is the next Buster Posey and then people who are seeing where the Indians were coming from 

Shot taken at me without a tag or mention. For shame FtE, for shame :) 

On 7/20/2018 at 12:15 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:
On 7/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, MWil23 said:

Yeah firing Sashi is still a sore spot around here. It was criminal. At least we still have DePo!!!!

At some point the Browns are going to be really good and I'm gonna walk into NFL Gen and start an "Eat Crow Nerd Doubters" thread. It'll get locked within about 3 pages. I probably get a warning, but it'll be worth it.

WHERE IS MY THREAD?!?!?!?!?!

On 7/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, MWil23 said:

I have a post ready for if/when the Tribe or Browns ever win it all. It has a lot of Degeneration X chops and other gifs and memes and obligatory calling out of haters or members which will earn me a temporary or permaban. I’ll have no regrets. I PMd a couple members for lulz after the Cavs 2016 title. It will be worth it. Oh and airway and the entire Colts organization can go pound sand.

OH, and I was ranting with a post-partum wife and newborn!!!!

On 7/20/2018 at 12:31 PM, MWil23 said:

Will do, but I need to rework it. So many new people have been added to my I told you so you *insert site inappropriate adjective here* list.

It’s also on the old site so I have to find it in my inbox. Also long story short but I’m at the hospital right now. Just had kid #3, or as I like to call it, vasectomy time. Could take some time, but when I rework it in the fall I’ll PM you for sure, as well as @LETSGOBROWNIES and most of our Browns forum.

Update: Vasectomy was scheduled 6 days later and then followed through with. I'd do it again too.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:07 PM, MWil23 said:
On 7/20/2018 at 12:56 PM, buno67 said:

Back on topic...terrible trade for the Tribe from a value standpoint alone.

When you’re ready to play and be successful while it’s in your best interests as a businessman.

No doubt about it they HAD to get relievers. It’s just hard to give up a unicorn two way catching prospect.

Best case scenario right now is as a platoon player with Naquin or as a fill in for an injured Chissenhall.

Yeah, I get it. Prospects are a crapshoot. See CC for LaPorta. Also sometimes elite prospects are so for a reason. See Barry Bonds, Griffey, etc. Hopefully we didn’t just trade Buster Posey for a pretty good reliever and another solid rookie reliever.

JMHO

No chance missing years or reps at such an intricate position gives him that flexibility. Zero chance.

It’s almost like he knows he’s the best prospect in the game and will get his chance to prove it, stay there, and make millions more in the long run...maybe even short run.

*Don't kill him he's already dead gif*

• Like 1

@MWil23isnt it a little early to be taking a victory lap? lol

I bet you the FO never makes that trade if they knew the Dolans were going to stop investing into the roster. they were gearing up from some playoff runs, while the dolans said “nah, you get what you get”

Edited by buno67

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

@MWil23isnt it a little early to be taking a victory lap? lol

I bet you the FO never makes that trade if they knew the Dolans were going to stop investing into the roster. they were gearing up from some playoff runs, while the dolans said “nah, you get what you get”

It’s not my fault that I knew this would happen and knew the Dolans would do this again, since they have a fire sale every 5 years regardless ever since they bought the team in 2000.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s not my fault that I knew this would happen and knew the Dolans would do this again, since they have a fire sale every 5 years regardless ever since they bought the team in 2000.

true but the other times they never had so many good players locked up on deals that gave them a solid 3-4window. it usually happened on the back end of the deal of the best player on the team like

Corbin Burnes has the starter record now with 36 K, 0 BB to start a season. He is 3-9 as a batter with 2 RBI and has allowed 4 hits and 1 run on the mound, so far.

EDIT - NVM, they took the hit away from him lol so he's 2-9.

Edited by beekay414

57 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Corbin Burnes has the starter record now with 36 K, 0 BB to start a season. He is 3-9 as a batter with 2 RBI and has allowed 4 hits and 1 run on the mound, so far.

EDIT - NVM, they took the hit away from him lol so he's 2-9.

Likely done for the night vs the Padres.

6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 10 K, 0 BB, 1 HBP (40 K, 0 BB to start the season)