Even more lazily slapped together Regular Season OT

Thelonebillsfan

On 5/3/2021 at 6:11 AM, Mesa_Titan said:

Basically. Even if he was good, he looks like an idiot. His team is losing and guy is acting like he won the world series after one strikeout. He has some kind of mental deficiency.

I'm very pro-celebrations, as I think most of us are.  But don't grab your nuts and shout stuff directly to the hitter after striking them out.  Yell it to your dugout.  Yell it to the fans.  Yell it to nobody in particular.  But you are asking for trouble if you do the stuff that Garrett did.  

On 5/1/2021 at 10:49 PM, Mesa_Titan said:

But is Acuna better than him yet?

mike trout is amazing. HOWEVER... Hes striking out at a career high clip. Hes walking at the 2nd lowest rate in 6 years. His BABIP is .540(!). His LD% hasnt improved much from the last few years, hes hitting WAY more grounders, and while his hard hit% is up a nice amount doesnt justify the absurd BABIP. I wonder if he will see some regression.

Ill also tag @mse326 since this was incredibly lazy and he gave it a like. Congrats fellas, this was, well, underwhelming.

Edited by GSUeagles14

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

mike trout is amazing. HOWEVER... Hes striking out at a career high clip. Hes walking at the 2nd lowest rate in 6 years. His BABIP is .540(!). His LD% has improved much from the last few years, hes hitting WAY more grounders, and while his hard hit% is up a nice amount doesnt justify the absurd BABIP.

Ill also tag @mse326 since this was incredibly lazy and he gave it a like. Congrats fellas, this was, well, underwhelming.

You know what lazy and underwhelming? Asking if we should say Acuna is better than a guy who is probably going to go down as the best player in the history of the game while not even outperforming him less than 30 games into the season. Big oof my friend.

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

You know what lazy and underwhelming? Asking if we should say Acuna is better than a guy who is probably going to go down as the best player in the history of the game while not even outperforming him less than 30 games into the season. Big oof my friend.

Nope, its still a valid question. Because what happened 5 years ago has nothing to do with who is the best today. But nice job addressing all the very obvious signs that trout has seen some luck. Still amazing, but some luck so far. It took 3 minutes for me to look that up. So yeah, lazy and underwhelming fits here. Sorry for the sensitivity though big boy.

Disclaimer, Im not even banging the drums that he is better. Its certainly up for discussion though with the admittedly small sample of games we have from last year forward. 

14 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

mike trout is amazing. HOWEVER... Hes striking out at a career high clip. Hes walking at the 2nd lowest rate in 6 years. His BABIP is .540(!). His LD% hasnt improved much from the last few years, hes hitting WAY more grounders, and while his hard hit% is up a nice amount doesnt justify the absurd BABIP. I wonder if he will see some regression.

You suggested we should ask whether Acuna was better than Trout on less than a month of play when he was barely doing better than Trout. He has never had a season better than Trout. You made a patently absurd statement and I gave it all the effort it deserved

• Like 1

Just now, mse326 said:

You suggested we should ask whether Acuna was better than Trout on less than a month of play when he was barely doing better than Trout. He has never had a season better than Trout. You made a patently absurd statement and I gave it all the effort it deserved

Cool story bro. not going to argue with anyone so stubborn or ignorant to just completely ignore the extremely obvious underlying #s that suggest regression is coming. It can only be attributed to a few things.... extreme ignorance, laziness, or maybe just not liking it. Regardless of which it is, theres no point in arguing further as I suspect you even realize its a poor stance, and perhaps even embarrassed by taking it?

16 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Yes anyone saying Mike Trout isn't the best baseball player in the MLB based off one month of play.... yikes. Trout has proved it over and over and over for a decade. Just because he's not having a better season than someone else (and a month in to top it off...) is a ludicrous statement. 

22 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Cool story bro. not going to argue with anyone so stubborn or ignorant to just completely ignore the extremely obvious underlying #s that suggest regression is coming. It can only be attributed to a few things.... extreme ignorance, laziness, or maybe just not liking it. Regardless of which it is, theres no point in arguing further as I suspect you even realize its a poor stance, and perhaps even embarrassed by taking it?

Even if you want to consider xwOBA which considers all that batted ball data, and more (like exit velo and launch angle), Acuna is only 29 points higher right now which isn't that much and hardly enough to overcome NEVER having been better than Trout before. And if you are going to consider that Harper is actually leading 25 points higher than Acuna. Given that they are both on pace for over 12 WAR I assume both are due for a regression.

Again even if Acuna was wildly outplaying Trout you don't talk about him being better a month into a season if he's never been better. That is the point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Even if you want to consider xwOBA which considers all that batted ball data, and more (like exit velo and launch angle), Acuna is only 29 points higher right now which isn't that much and hardly enough to overcome NEVER having been better than Trout before. And if you are going to consider that Harper is actually leading 25 points higher than Acuna. Given that they are both on pace for over 12 WAR I assume both are due for a regression.

Again even if Acuna was wildly outplaying Trout you don't talk about him being better a month into a season if he's never been better. That is the point.

like i said, im not debating this with you. Ive never said Acuna is definitely better than trout, and ive never said it was only based on this season. So in addition to the underlying #s that we both know youre aware of, youre misrepresenting what Ive said. Are you doing it intentionally, misreading... what exactly? Quite frankly it doesnt matter, im fairly certain I know the thought process behind it, and its nothing i want to engage with. 

Edited by GSUeagles14

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

like i said, im not debating this with you. Ive never said Acuna is definitely better than trout, and ive never said it was only based on this season. So in addition to the underlying #s that we both know youre aware of, youre misrepresenting what Ive said. Are you doing it intentionally, misreading... what exactly? Quite frankly it doesnt matter, im fairly certain I know the thought process behind it, and its nothing i want to engage with. 

Your underlying numbers argument is absolute garbage. It's 100 PA's. This is embarrassing.

22 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Your underlying numbers argument is absolute garbage. It's 100 PA's. This is embarrassing.

One, youre correct in your above post, he struck out at a higher rate in 2014. However, its a 6 year high. 

With that said, i dont think you understand how this works. Yes, its a small sample, but that doesnt negate that hes been lucky so far. whether its 100 PAs or 200, underlying #s still exist. Theres not really much more to say than that. And to be completely clear, are you arguing Trout will have a BABIP over .500 and a BA over .400 at the end of the year. If not, do you even know what youre arguing? 

Edited by GSUeagles14

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

One, youre correct in your above post, he struck out at a higher rate in 2014. However, its a 6 year high. 

With that said, i dont think you understand how this works. Yes, its a small sample, but that doesnt negate that hes been lucky so far. whether its 100 PAs or 200, underlying #s still exist. Theres not really much more to say than that. And to be completely clear, are you arguing Trout will have a BABIP over .500 and a BA over .400 at the end of the year. If not, do you even know what youre arguing? 

He’s arguing that Mike Trout is, and always has been, better than Acuna. And he’s correct. Pretty simple. 

• Like 3