Even more lazily slapped together Regular Season OT

Thelonebillsfan

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:
Start ******* holding MLB umps accountable for their ****ty calls and plate zones. This crew is PATHETIC. They gave Castellanos 4 strikes in which he hit a 3 run shot on the 4th one and then called Yelich out on an infield single claiming he turned for second when he faintly shimmied, left foot barely turned and his right foot never passed the foul line lmao. Just an absolute **** show from this crew this weekend.

Just saw the Yelich play. It was the right call. Any movement toward second with intent to go is enough. Doesn't have to be a lot, just like a balk doesn't have to be a lot. That little shrug was enough. It sucks, but it was right.

Can't comment on the strike zone as I didn't see that, but in general umps suck at it so it isn't surprising.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Just saw the Yelich play. It was the right call. Any movement toward second with intent to go is enough. Doesn't have to be a lot, just like a balk doesn't have to be a lot. That little shrug was enough. It sucks, but it was right.

Can't comment on the strike zone as I didn't see that, but in general umps suck at it so it isn't surprising.

I think I'm more pissed at dude because he was the home plate ump last night and had an atrocious strike zone. BTW, it's not just a "Brewers got hosed" issue with this crew. Both sides are straight up murdering these guys on social media and I can't say I blame Reds fans either. Just an absolute embarrassment to the game these last 3 nights.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I think I'm more pissed at dude because he was the home plate ump last night and had an atrocious strike zone. BTW, it's not just a "Brewers got hosed" issue with this crew. Both sides are straight up murdering these guys on social media and I can't say I blame Reds fans either. Just an absolute embarrassment to the game these last 3 nights.

I haven't watched the games, but I have seen the reactions from fans, so I know it is terrible both ways.

Mostly felt like commenting on that because it is a rule that so many people misunderstand because it rarely happens. But it is a necessary rule given that you can overrun 1st. There has to be a point where you could be tug out for attempting to go for 2nd and if it is anything more than the slightest movement you bring umpire discretion even more into it which would be atrocious. That's why little league coaches always tell the players to turn right so that there can be no doubt (though you are allowed to turn left as long as it isn't a movement to go to second, so a normal pivot is fine).

I was an umpire, though not for long and only for young kids, but having to learn the rules you realize how much of what you were told was wrong and how much people still don't know when they argue calls that are clearly right. I had an infield fly play where the ball landed like one step on the outfield grass (and this like 8 year olds the infield dirt isn't that big). The second basemen was lined up one step in front of the grass. So like two steps behind him. Clearly IFF and the coach was screaming bloody murder because "it can't be infield fly if it lands in the outfield". I was 13 and the home plate umpire just stood there with a dumb look on his face hanging me out to dry. So when the unusual rules come up that part of me gets excited. I can't wait for a third strike foul ball off the catchers chest and then the catcher catches it to see how many people don't know what a foul tip is and start breaking something.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Start ******* holding MLB umps accountable for their ****ty calls and plate zones.

The ump doubled down against the next batter (Walsh) and called a strike for a pitch in the same exact spot. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sad thing is do we really expect the MLB to take action and do something about it? 

This is another reason why baseball which might’ve been my favorite sport back in the early 2000s as a kid had become my least favorite sport fast forward to present day.

Is there any doubt that MLB is the worst run league in American sports?

This article did a good job summing it up.

Wasn’t watching early in the season, so I never saw this play. I couldn’t believe me eyes.

no way eye roll GIF by VH1

13 hours ago, mse326 said:

Agreed on all accounts.  By the letter of the rule, it was a correct call.  But man, that type of play is just NEVER called.  It's like the "area'' play at force outs on 2B before replay, or pop-up slides before replay.  

5 hours ago, biggio7 said:

To adjust the home plate umpire, they should create a goal that stands. The catcher sits behind the goal. If the ball goes in, it's a strike otherwise it's a ball. Take all the guess work out of it.

a goal? And what would the goal be made of? How would the goal be adjusted to the correct strike zone for each individual batter?

24 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Agreed on all accounts.  By the letter of the rule, it was a correct call.  But man, that type of play is just NEVER called.  It's like the "area'' play at force outs on 2B before replay, or pop-up slides before replay.  

Is it never called or never happens? I don't think I've ever seen a runner do such a minimal attempt. It's pretty much always obvious that there was a turn so the player hurries back to first.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Is it never called or never happens? I don't think I've ever seen a runner do such a minimal attempt. It's pretty much always obvious that there was a turn so the player hurries back to first.

Really?  I've seen it happen quite a few times.  Always make me pucker up when it's a Cubs player that does it and doesn't hustle back to first.  

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Really?  I've seen it happen quite a few times.  Always make me pucker up when it's a Cubs player that does it and doesn't hustle back to first.  

And they get tagged but called safe? Nope never seen it

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

No, the other team doesn't usually even bother trying to tag the runner.  

Well then there is nothing for the ump to call for it to be "never called"

Edit: That sounded snarkier than I meant it, sorry