2021 National Championship: (1) Gonzaga vs (1) Baylor

NYRaider

Just now, Troy Brown said:

I don't think it has to do with Gonzaga being undefeated. I think they just really ran into a buzz saw. What a game from Baylor. I'm really surprised

tough OT semifinal probably more impacting than undefeated.

Baylor might get a bit of a boost to "slay the undefeated ".

As you noted, Baylor was a buzz saw tonight 

1 minute ago, fraziafraze07 said:

Agreed. They had a great game plan for how to attack the Zags on offense. Then their players came out and executed at a super high level.  Hit a ton of shots and killed it on the defensive end.  It was about as good a game as you could play.

I was really surprised when I looked at the box score right now and saw they only hit 10 3s

Just now, squire12 said:

tough OT semifinal probably more impacting than undefeated.

Baylor might get a bit of a boost to "slay the undefeated ".

As you noted, Baylor was a buzz saw tonight 

I mean that's why I'm surprised. How often is this type of Gonzaga team going to struggle two games in a row and how often is Baylor going to destroy 2 decent teams in 3 days?

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Gonzaga will be back. They got a pipeline to a lot of talent. Just the stigma of not being able to win it just gonna get bigger and will make it that much sweeter when they do win it. 

They've always been good. I don't remember the last time gonzaga was bad. but  this may have been their best chance

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I was really surprised when I looked at the box score right now and saw they only hit 10 3s

Baylor cooled off in the second half from 3.  Gonzaga missed opportunities from the FT line and never got on track from 3.  The latter was Baylor's defense which never really lagged all game.  Toss in rebounding massacre, and the result is fitting

3 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

They've always been good. I don't remember the last time gonzaga was bad. but  this may have been their best chance

Been since 99 when they gave UConn a scare in the elite 8.  Gonzaga been really good.

18 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

They been good, but the level of recruits that are starting to come in are better then they ever had. Suggs this year Hunter Sallis in 2021. Possibly Chet Holmgren as well. Which will continue to give them a good chance at winning it all. 

Edited by agarcia34

There's not a college basketball team today that would've beaten Baylor tonight with the way they were playing. They made Gonzaga, an undefeated powerhouse running over teams look like they were a true WCC team against a Power 5 team. 

It was the same play on offense all night long - high pick to get a favorable matchup then just let your NBA-caliber guards showcase their athleticism. Defensively I really wasn't impressed with Baylor tbh. They just fouled constantly, and it showed. However, their physicality and fouling led Gonzaga to making stupid decisions and unforced turnovers. That, and GU couldn't shoot a 3 to save their life.

Hearbroken for the Zags, but damn what a season. One I'll never forget.

37 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

their best chance was 2017 vs UNC imo.  This Baylor team was much better than that UNC team that beat Zaga. 

Edited by Texansfan713

Few is only 58. If he’s there for another 10 years, that’s probably what, 5 more 1 seeds at least? For that alone I think they eventually get over the hump. Even though this was another major disappointment for Zaga, no way around it, this isn’t like the pre-F4 Zaga that constantly got knocked out in sweet 16 or earlier, where it clearly was just a case of an over seeded mid major. 

Would help them in some ways to be in PAC-12 I’m sure. Not take 3 months off, and get experience against the quality of teams and athletes they’ll see in March, but they’d lose the advantage of a yearly easy path to a 1 seed.

All that aside, this Baylor team quietly put up elite tournament run. Right up there  w/ ‘18 Nova, ‘12 UK, ‘09 UNC, 06 Florida, 96 UK.

Not good tournament for Kispert. Rough weekend and was not there when they needed him, not vs UCLA or tonight. The senior, 1st team AA, POTY candidate, should be the guy you can turn to and have dig you out of a hole. Wouldn’t be surprised if it hurts his draft stock, if it ever eve. was as high as some mocks had it (top 10).

• Like 1