2021 National Championship: (1) Gonzaga vs (1) Baylor

NYRaider

12 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Not good tournament for Kispert. Rough weekend and was not there when they needed him, not vs UCLA or tonight. The senior, 1st team AA, POTY candidate, should be the guy you can turn to and have dig you out of a hole. Wouldn’t be surprised if it hurts his draft stock, if it ever eve. was as high as some mocks had it (top 10).

If you just saw them in the tournament you would think he was their 3rd or 4th option.

rewatching game:

Few not adjusting to Baylor’s crystal clear half court gameplan of getting the switch of Timme and isolating him was puzzling. Don’t switch, hedge, or at least mix it up. Just cannot leave Timme on an island. He’s got a high IQ to somewhat help the slow lateral agility, but not enough to keep him alive vs those Baylor guards. They feasted.

I don’t know, maybe there’s just nothing you can do vs those guards when you have Timme and Kispert, very possible, but at least try to change it up when it’s clearly not working!

3 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I mean that's why I'm surprised. How often is this type of Gonzaga team going to struggle two games in a row and how often is Baylor going to destroy 2 decent teams in 3 days?

Baylor also had a blow out earlier in the day so they had more time to rest/recover, extra time to prepare for the game, and weren't coming off of a crazy, last second win super late in the night. 

I kinda of feel like Gonzaga blew their load against UCLA and Baylor took advantage of it. Good guard play typically prevails in the tournament as well and Baylor had better guard play from top to bottom. 

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Gonzaga will be back. They got a pipeline to a lot of talent. Just the stigma of not being able to win it just gonna get bigger and will make it that much sweeter when they do win it. 

Gonzaga will definitely still be competitive but I think they blew a golden opportunity tonight. They'll likely lose Suggs, Timme, Kispert, and Ayai to the draft and those 4 made accounted for 82% of their scoring this season. Few has had a number of very good teams in his 22 years at Gonzaga and they've only managed to make the Final 4 twice.