What would you say is the Gutsiest front office move your team has ever made?

Drafting Kyler Murray.

Cardinals have always been pretty conservative in general no nothing really ever exciting happens (with the exception of Keim).

But drafting back to back first round QB's in top 10 is pretty insane, especially after trading up to that 10th spot.  Landed us that magic 1 spot though.  I would like to forget that year ever happened tbh.

Glad we did it though.

Edited by Zalixar
  • Like 1

being young, from australia, and newish to the nfl (seven years or so of fulltime fandom) the two that jump out to me from my time are shipping off antonio brown for what looked at the time like peanuts but really was so much more than we should have got, and making the minkah deal in spite of what happened to ben's elbow - both of which have paid some massive dividends

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Is that who they're targeting

I doubt it, but that's what everyone in the media is selling. I won't actually believe that until his name is called by Roger lol

• Like 1
8 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Eli. And damn right it paid off. The story behind that whole trade is pretty crazy and Accorsi is the man for pulling it off. 

This, the Favre situation and potentially the Rodgers trade (should it happen) are the only "gutsy" moves in this thread so far IMO.

It's gonna be tough to top the Eli/Rivers draft saga and Favre trade for gutsy moves IMO. Draft busts happen 15 times every year, an exec doesn't have much egg on their face for doing that. But the Eli draft and the Favre trade have a wayyyy bigger chance to backfire and are actually gutsy calls. Their risk is also in their uniqueness and potential to be remembered as a schitty decision for generations lol. THAT is what takes guts to face down

• Like 1

Trading everything for Laremy Tunsil. That really set the wheels in motion for the current state of affairs...

In exchange for O.J. Simpson, the Buffalo Bills received five draft picks from the 49ers over a three-year span, a second-rounder and third-rounder in 1978, a first-rounder and a fourth-rounder in 1979, and a second-rounder in 1980.

I guess it wasn't gutsty, more so just stupid. OJ had a bum knee, and was clearly over the hill. And then he became a dirtbag later in life. So yeah. 

14 hours ago, Turnobili said:

trading for carson palmer midseason

That wasnt gutsy, that was just a stupid move by a coach looking to keep his job and 'using' the power vacuum after Al Davis died. 

i don't mind the trade btw, i can see why you try it. But the compensation was just awfull.

Some other Raiders examples:

• Trading for Deangelo Hall and signing Gibril Wilson to a massive contract in an effort to fix the defense was maybe a gutsy move that didnt work out. On paper a starting db lineup with Asomoghu, Hall, Wilson and Huff was better then it proved to be in real life
  • Al trading a 1st for Richard Seymour was a win now move. Unfortunately we were a losing teams for a while at that point.
12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Trading a 1st round draft pick to ATL for some 3rd string drunken hillbilly that Jerry Glanville called "Mississippi"
Spending a 1st round pick on a Tedford QB when "Mississippi" was still on the team and playing well
Spending a 1st + 4th on a QB while the Tedford QB was busy earning his 3rd MVP in the same season.

glengarry_brass_balls260pix.jpg&f=1&nofb

And of course, letting one of the most beloved players in the history of any NFL team by that teams fans leave so that a guy with about 350 passing yards on barely 60 career attempts could take the starting spot. Didn't work out too badly... 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Roninho said:

That wasnt gutsy, that was just a stupid move by a coach looking to keep his job and 'using' the power vacuum after Al Davis died. 

i don't mind the trade btw, i can see why you try it. But the compensation was just awfull.

Some other Raiders examples:

• Trading for Deangelo Hall and signing Gibril Wilson to a massive contract in an effort to fix the defense was maybe a gutsy move that didnt work out. On paper a starting db lineup with Asomoghu, Hall, Wilson and Huff was better then it proved to be in real life
  • Al trading a 1st for Richard Seymour was a win now move. Unfortunately we were a losing teams for a while at that point.

its not gutsy to move for a QB midseason to make a playoff push?

15 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

its not gutsy to move for a QB midseason to make a playoff push?

I don't necessarily think that it was gutsy, I think that it was the most logical option. Getting a starting level talent who you have experience with who could save your season, yeah that's a bet worth making. Missing the playoffs by a tiebreaker even...

I definitely wouldn't call the compensation awful. Teams pay more to aquire backups.

The Bengals gutsy move is how they handled that situation. People thought the Bengals should trade him for whatever they could get and made a mistake not doing so. But they held out for a respectable return and... That was probably above front office level decision making right there though. I'd say that generally the Bengals lack guts.